RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Re: Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

If you have the HP Pavilion a6720y, here's what you need to do:
----- Cut and Paste ----- as described by JSWinden
Before upgrading to Windows 7, download NVIDIA_3D_Vision_CD_v1.13_WinVista_Win7_EMEAI.

You will need this to get the correct drivers for LAN and video. Without it, you will have an unstable PC with little to no internet connection.

Download it from here:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/Driv...=uk&type=Other
After upgrading, install NVIDIA_3D_Vision_CD_v1.13_WinVista_Win7_EMEAI.
When you run Windows update, HIDE any suggested updates to the followin, because Windows Update will attempt to install older drivers that won't work:

nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 9100
nVidia - Network - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
nVidia - Other hardware - NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller
NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
Allow Windows Update to install all other updates.
Install the updates from HP's website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...856272&lang=en
----- End Cut and Paste -----

I'm sure it would be similar scenario with other HP's.

Last edited by aartist; 11-11-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
Thank you.
It is a different model.
I will try to harass HP support, but I assume that are going to say "it's a software issue"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Pavel: Here are the drivers for your model.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...007357&lang=en

Last edited by aartist; 11-10-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Aartist,

Thank you.
I just learned that at least few resent HP models had a number of issues, mostly related to a cheap motherboard they used for them. With this motherboard blue screen seem to be a common issue whatever OS is used There is an user forum on HP, the thread related to this is 260 pages long and growing.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/....id=4925#M4925

By the sound of it we may have to stop blaming Microsoft, and start blaming HP
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
we like being able to replace our own harddrives and not spend $800 for one harddrive replacement. so, there's always a tradeoff. frankly, i'd have bought a mac long ago if they'd just open their architecture up to third parties and end users
Craig, are you referring to MacBook Pros or iMacs, where swapping components is not easy (or even possible) for the end user? I know with MacBooks (at least the older one I have) you can pop out the battery, slip out the HD and replace it with any model you want, pretty cheaply. Same is true with the Mac Pro towers (there are, IIRC, 4 bays for HDs, with industry-standard connectors.

You can also buy and install RAM upgrades just like you would with a PC box. And probably the video card as well in the Mac Pro.

So depending on which Mac model you get, there is still a bit of upgrade freedom. But I know what you mean, it must be fun to build a box completely from scratch! Mac users call that a "Hackintosh"! I understand it's possible to get OS-X running on these (not sure about Snow Leopard, and no, I haven't tried ;-) ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 PM

hi plugs,

i'm notably not that conversant with macs yet. i believe it was the imac where the guy said it would cost $800 to replace a harddrive and that was because it was tied in with some other components, possibly the motherboard itself. and yes, i know the towers are more open and i did like the four bay replace-on-the-fly harddrives, but the price on the towers took it out of my price range for computers. i think it was almost $3000 by the time you loaded in a few goodies. it looked great, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

The iMac G5 was the last one where customers could easily remove the back and swap out components (the HD was easily removed with a few screws). Here is a video for doing it with Intel Macs, yow.

I'm not one to hack innards like this, though I have been comfortable with manhandling old PPCs such as the 8500 and G4 towers. So maybe it's worth paying someone $800 to do it, ha!

If you were to get a Mac Pro some day, you could always look into used ones. The one I'm sitting at now is just over 2 years old, so it's used (and works just fine), but it was new when I set it up! It's my office Mac, a "thank-you" from Apple for us buying 40 Intel silver-and-black iMacs for our higher-ed computer labs. And then I go home to my dual-800 G4... The MacBook helps out in times like that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 AM

Hi!I am implementing an application that analyzes images from the viewFinder in real time.My problem is that viewFinder images are focused on the infinite and close objects seem really blurry.Is it possible to set the autofocus ON for the viewFinder frames with the Autofocus extension on the camera?I am stuck with the N95 platform, so no 3rd edition FP2 with extended camera features.Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM

I am running Windows Me and have no plans to upgrade apart from adding another 2 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Serie 7 graphic card to my machine, the latter only so I can run the Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit on the GPU instead of on the CPU to render those mandelbulbs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 AM

I bought a new Dell computer in December and chose one with Windows 7 installed. Love this new OS ! It's easier to find what I'm looking for (documents and photos go in the Library and Programs go in Programs ). I have upgraded drivers for my printers and everything works well.

The "look" is classy, and the search tool is there if I do forget where something was uploaded. I've had a couple of crashes, but it started up again fine, and I can run lots of programs and Firefox tabs open at once (8 gigs of memory helps). I liked XP and never tried Vista, but I'm very pleased with Windows 7.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software