RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Patron

Re: Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagents View Post
I am running Windows Me and have no plans to upgrade apart from adding another 2 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Serie 7 graphic card to my machine, the latter only so I can run the Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit on the GPU instead of on the CPU to render those mandelbulbs.
Don't think WinME is able to address more RAM the 512 (but I could be wrong). If you are running ME then I'll keep you in my prayers. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM

You couldn't be more wrong indeed Lyle, as Windows ME can use 1995 MB of RAM out of the box.

If you've got 2 one GB sticks which is 2048 MB then you've got to limit the RAM Windows will use to 1995 MB through a system.ini tweak (otherwise the system won't boot) which is my current configuration.

But then there is a clever guy who wrote an inexpensive commercial patch who breaks this artificial limit (as any 32bit OS should be able to use 4GB) allowing to use 4GB of RAM. That's what I am going to do next as an upgrade plus a GPU compatible with the Pixel Bender as I wrote above. And perhaps one or two monster 1TB HDD as well depending on the finances.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

NOPE, not taking the leap .. --- If its't broke I am not going to try and fix it... XP is running good and the programs; PS CS3, Literoom 2, photomatix, plus a few others, are rinning just great.........
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM

well, i finally braved the leap, going from vista 64 bit to win7 64 bit. i had to muster my courage; upgrades always make me nervous; there's just too much that can go wrong. nonetheless, i plunged and i'm currently typing this on my new win7 upgrade installation. it actually was fairly painless. the actual install took just under two hours and it didnt seem to mind my RAID configuration at all (i was a bit worried about that).

and after a bit of fussing, and setting startup stuff and various normal desktop stuff with a new install, all seemed fairly well... until...

lol. there's always one! in this case it's email and i'm going to type this in bold caps... THERE IS NO EMAIL PROGRAM WITH WINDOWS 7! if you had and still have the release candidate (rc) you may have one, but for the final release they removed it all! no email program! **sigh** just when i was thinking win7 was going to be simple. apparently, and you can go check this for yourself, microsoft is trying to go legal or something. apparently, after all these years, they've decided to listen a tiny bit to the U.S. Justice Dept. and are loosening their monopoly a tiny, eensy-weensy bit and that means they've gotten rid of the integrating the email program with the o/s install. you can still go get an email client from microsoft, for free, but it is no longer part of the operating system install. and frankly, i think that calls for a 'doh!', homer simson style. of all the things we didnt much mind that came with windows was the browser and the email client! so, 'doh!'.

so, thinking i was going to get off with a less than two hour hassle with a new install, i found myself for the next four hours trying to figure out where my email client was and what the heck i was going to use for it (man, i tell ya, be careful what ya ask/wish for... especially when dealing with microsoft!). lol.

so, apparently there is this thing now called windows live email 7 or something along those lines. you can download it for free from microsoft.com and it is the defacto replacement for outlook express which was replaced in vista by windows mail and windows mail 7 in the rc (for some). thus, it's a case of curiouser and curiouser. this windows live mail claims, by microsoft, to be the new white bread. the forums and boards have something slightly different to say, in a lot of cases, though not all. some actually liked it, but by my count, most didnt and didnt understand why they had to yet again change clients. i agree. this seems frivilous, token, at best and very annoying at worst. i was annoyed.

now, the boards, again, some of the folks, recommended switching to Thunderbird from Mozilla. a couple others recommended intellimail or something like that. you're going to have to research these names for yourself. i'm NOT going back to those boards!

so, having used firefox some in the past, i finally decided to try Thunderbird. it was an easy install. it was also a fairly painless setup. i entered my email address and password and thunderbird went and found my other settings. i didnt even have to manually enter my pop3 info or anything else. and that was pretty much it. it's all set up and receiving emails.

i shld also point out that some complained about Thunderbird on the boards. so, it seems to be a matter of gauging the complaints... how many against windows live email and how many against thunderbird. lol. what a way to choose software.

at any rate, win7 is up and running. email is working and so far all my programs seem to be working. i did have to re-enter my product keys for filter forge, both my perm version and the beta, but other than that, so far no other hassles (knock on wood). i havent really tried any of the new stuff yet. i basically just got all this done a little while ago and needed a nervous breakdown nap afterwards so, i'll post more, maybe, as things break or work or i've had a chance to play with the new toys
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM

Glad you are liking it so far, Craig; I love Windows 7 after using XP (liked it) for years waiting for the next version after Vista. I got a new computer so didn't have to do the upgrade install. Have a non-techy friend who's thinking of upgrading from Vista to 7, but two hours (for YOU) would probably turn into a lot more for her.

I had read about the "lack" of email with Windows 7, and read a bit about options - LIVE did not sound good to me, and since one of the problems my old system had caused items in my Outlook Express mail inbox to disappear (many weren't even in the backup location), I had decided to move to Google online mail anyway. Still downloaded Thunderbird and set it up in case I didn't like Google, but I've found I prefer using GMail now and worry less about losing any special emails that I want to keep (Google's servers will probably explode as soon as I type this and all will be lost ). I use GReader to keep up with my blog etc. reading and so using GMail is just a click away.

I've found Windows 7 to be very stable, easy to learn, and very well designed. I rarely need to "cheat" and use search to find something on my system, but when I do - I find it quickly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 AM

hi CJ,

i shld mention, speaking of the two hours, that i first did the microsoft windows 7 compatibility check. this was QUITE worthwhile! i found that my firewall wasnt going to work in win7, so i upgraded it to a version that would. i was also advised to turn off my anti-virus, which i did and then switched that back on after the install. it also notified me there that windows mail would be going bye-bye, but i had assumed something would be taking its place. ha! never assume!

but yes, win7 seems fairly good and smooth so far. no crashes, lags, giant frogs jumping out of the computer, or laughing bill gates heads. so, we'll see

i use gmail on my business computer at work and it seems fine, but i was concerned about being able to log into retouchpro using a web based mail client, so i wanted something home based and thunderbird got the call. it actually looks and feels a lot like outlook express, at least in the internals. so, it was nothing to configure it.

i'd say if your friend uses the compatibility tool first, the rest will go fairly smoothly. i really didnt have to do a thing for that two hours of installation except occupy myself with other things while i waited. that part went very smoothly.

mostly what i was grumping about in that last post was the fact that i was caught offguard by microsoft. no email with windows? that just seemed weird... and still does
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 AM

Mine has been running great once I figured out my usb problem and updated the wireless drivers. My e-mail program is attached to microsoft's office 2007, so I wasn't affected by a lost e-mail client.

The usb problem turned out to be a checked box in the ant-virus program preventing the computer from accessing usb storage devices! Man, sometimes those checked boxes can drive a person crazy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Patron

I don't use a local email service anymore; stay in cyberspace for that. My only erking issue that I have left (have to admit, I really haven't spend much time researching this) is my Lazer printer won't wake up from sleep (XP had no issue with this). I have to press the button on my lazer printer twice and all's well. Since I really only print things out 2 to 4 times a month, this isn't really an issue with me. Very happy with a 64-bit OS. I still VM into XP (have Virtual box for that; Microsoft's Virtual PC is not as fast for whatever reason but I do have one of my Dad's medical data programs that I've only been able to get to work with it (gave up figuring why it wouldn't work in Virtual Box; it won't work at all with a 64-bit OS and don't believe there is plans for a 64-bit version either (32-bit version doesn't work with Win7). All in all, again, I am happy. 6GBytes too. Will admit that Win7 was pretty good with just 2GBytes, but I had the dough to splurge on an addition 4Gs (could update to a total of 16Gs since I'm not that rich). I figure my PC will last a few more years hopefully and by then, a try 32 or 64 core processor will be available at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
My only erking issue that I have left (have to admit, I really haven't spend much time researching this) is my Lazer printer won't wake up from sleep (XP had no issue with this).
Lyle, I do have a similar problem with Win 7, HP printer takes forever to wake up. I assume it could be simply driver compatibility, I never actually got around to check for new driver...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM

I had issues with my hp printer but they disappeared when I reinstalled the drivers.

You can try running programs in older windows by right clicking on file, click properties and click compatibility mode menu tab, then choosing an older windows version.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software