RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 AM

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

I have Painter 9.5 and never installed it on my Vista machine because I've read about problems with it.

I just got Kim Komanda's daily email today in which she said, " Some Windows 7 versions will offer XP mode. That will make backward compatibility even more assured."

Wonder how 9.5 will run with that setup.

I had wanted to order one of Carrie Woeck's tutorials but then realized I probably wouldn't be able to use my version of Painter with Vista.

Isabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 AM

Re: Windows 7 and Painter

well, win7 is slated to come out on the 22nd of this month, so, i'm guessing we're going to find out for sure about your question. but, i will say this, i've played with win7 a tiny bit and it's pretty darn slick. it's also VERY stable, according to everything i've seen and read, even more stable than win2k, which is microsoft's most stable o/s before this. it also has a much smaller footprint than vista, taking up only 6 or 700 megs as opposed to vista's almost 2 gigs. that shld help make things run better. and, yes, win7 has a compatiblity mode, but then, so does vista and so do a lot of the other microsoft o/s'es.

i bought vista just a little while ago with the knowledge that i'd be getting win7 for free when it hits the stands. i NEVER buy a microsoft product straight out of the factory! NEVER! but, this time i am. so, that shld tell you something.

i cant guarantee any software will run under win7. but, of all the o/s'es that microsoft has put out, of all the hype and of all the promises, it may just be and is certainly giving the apparency of, this being microsoft's first true, out of the box, good operating system. so, fingers crossed, let's hope the hype meets the truth for once
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
... i NEVER buy a microsoft product straight out of the factory! NEVER! but, this time i am. so, that shld tell you something.

...fingers crossed, let's hope the hype meets the truth for once
Hmmm... It tells me you're diving in, but not "why." What has prompted such a major shift in philosophy? Did you participate in beta testing so you are much more confident in rollout quality of Win7? Or what?

FWIW I would wait for SP1 unless there was an exceptionally compelling reason to take the leap. Postponing awhile also gives hardware and software vendors time to work out the first rounds of device and/or application bugs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 AM

I also heard a quite a few positive comments about Win7 from people who are normally not so enthusiastic about Miscrosoft. At any rate, bugs will be in the first release no matter what. Me, I plan to buy a new PC as soon as machines with Win7 will be available, I was postponing the upgrade for quite a while not willing to get Vista, so I should be able to give a first hand account regarding compatibility issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM

It's difficult being positive about a new operating system, until a service pack is available or a miracle from divine intervention. Usually, it's not the operating system itself but compatible drivers, and existing software upgrades from a multitude of software companies that simply have not quite figured out the code and reaction completely (without customer experimentation), which can be an excercise in frustration.
I was early in having a system with multiple quad processors which was my initial reason for having Vista so I could have cpu efficiency. Well . . . in theory that seemed like a plan . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 AM

danny, my first contact with win7 was in a retail computer store. they had dumped vista from all their machines on display and put win7 rc (release candidate) on them all. now, that alone wouldnt warrant my change, but, i also had a chance to play with it and to talk to folks about it. the salesman was particularly exuberant about it and gave me a demo. there are some impressive new features. the footprint is also considerably smaller than vista and, like i said before, it's more stable than any other o/s microsoft has ever put out. and, that seems to be confirmed over and over in the reports one sees on web sites. and, microsoft itself, for the first time in their history, is advertising the stability. they have never done this before because they knew folks would laugh them out of the marketplace, but they are this time and it seems to be true.

my other compelling reason is that i bought a powerful new I7 64 bit motherboard/cpu. this rig also has dual RAID terrabyte drives (auto mirroring backup with the RAID), 64 bit vista (with win7 free when it arrives) and a nice new lcd monitor and 6 gigs of ram, which can all be accessed in the 64 bit system. this is the first time i've ever bought such a powerful machine in a custom build. i specifically wanted the 64 bit o/s and system for the available ram. oh, and the video card has almost a gig of ram onboard. so, with all this power, i didnt want to go retro to winxp. i've had too many crashes with winxp, blue screens of death crashes. so, i decided to listen to the hype for once and take the plunge. if win7 is crap, i can always put vista back on. so far, vista is fairly stable with sp1 on it. it's only blue-screened once so far. but, it's bloatware and you can tell here and there.

basically, win7 is vista stripped down and stablized and then enhanced a bit. thus, it's learned all the wrongs from vista and eliminated them. i dont know, danny; it just seems the right move this time. i normally never go for a first release, but the RC has been out for quite a while and they've debugged it to death from what i can tell. also, the RC will not be good after about june 2010 and if you get the official release you actually have to delete the RC first. you cant just overwrite it. so, i was going to just try the RC but with that having to completely remove it bit, i decided to just get vista now and go with the official release.

basically, my new rig is 8 to 10 times faster than my older, single core machine. i needed a new one for some commercial work i've been working on involving very large graphics files and i wanted a rig that would stand up for a while. from what i've seen and heard of win7, i think that's going to be the o/s i keep for a long while now.

oh, and win7 has a compatiblity mode that will run your winxp software. so, if that works right and if the hype meets reality, i'll be computer heaven for a while
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Patron

Yeah; I tried to pre-order Win7 from Tiger ($99 for pro upgrade). They said that it's still pending; let's just hope that I still get it at that price. I too have heard the hype; even ran a VM version of it. The fact that the VM ran as good as it did tells me that it's quite thrifty with resources. The analogy based on the hype I've heard is that you get the eye candy of Vista with the resource savvy of XP. I sure do hope so. Plan on going 64 bit all the way too when I get my upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM

I also am enthusiastic about the release of win7 and went out recently and purchased a new desktop computer with a promised free upgrade kit of win7 once it's out later this month.

My feeling is win7 is what vista should have been but microsoft never delivered. Lots of people stayed with winxp or win2k due to vista's poor ratings. All I've heard to date about win7 are positive and encouraging from people in the know. I hope they are right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
danny, my first contact with win7 was in a retail computer store. they had dumped vista from all their machines on display and put win7 rc (release candidate) on them all. now, that alone wouldnt warrant my change, but, i also had a chance to play with it and to talk to folks about it. the salesman was particularly exuberant about it and gave me a demo. there are some impressive new features. the footprint is also considerably smaller than vista and, like i said before, it's more stable than any other o/s microsoft has ever put out. and, that seems to be confirmed over and over in the reports one sees on web sites. and, microsoft itself, for the first time in their history, is advertising the stability. they have never done this before because they knew folks would laugh them out of the marketplace, but they are this time and it seems to be true.

my other compelling reason is that i bought a powerful new I7 64 bit motherboard/cpu. this rig also has dual RAID terrabyte drives (auto mirroring backup with the RAID), 64 bit vista (with win7 free when it arrives) and a nice new lcd monitor and 6 gigs of ram, which can all be accessed in the 64 bit system. this is the first time i've ever bought such a powerful machine in a custom build. i specifically wanted the 64 bit o/s and system for the available ram. oh, and the video card has almost a gig of ram onboard. so, with all this power, i didnt want to go retro to winxp. i've had too many crashes with winxp, blue screens of death crashes. so, i decided to listen to the hype for once and take the plunge. if win7 is crap, i can always put vista back on. so far, vista is fairly stable with sp1 on it. it's only blue-screened once so far. but, it's bloatware and you can tell here and there.

basically, win7 is vista stripped down and stablized and then enhanced a bit. thus, it's learned all the wrongs from vista and eliminated them. i dont know, danny; it just seems the right move this time. i normally never go for a first release, but the RC has been out for quite a while and they've debugged it to death from what i can tell. also, the RC will not be good after about june 2010 and if you get the official release you actually have to delete the RC first. you cant just overwrite it. so, i was going to just try the RC but with that having to completely remove it bit, i decided to just get vista now and go with the official release.

basically, my new rig is 8 to 10 times faster than my older, single core machine. i needed a new one for some commercial work i've been working on involving very large graphics files and i wanted a rig that would stand up for a while. from what i've seen and heard of win7, i think that's going to be the o/s i keep for a long while now.

oh, and win7 has a compatiblity mode that will run your winxp software. so, if that works right and if the hype meets reality, i'll be computer heaven for a while
Well thought out, Craig. I appreciate your insights.

I wonder if Win 7 in XP mode will be able to see/utilize > 4 GB of RAM. That would make my day. Or does ability to address > 4 GB of RAM require 64-bit OS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Re: Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

have win 7 running over a month and after Vista it's a relief, no glitches so far, having a tech net plus abo updates run smoothly. can recommend going for it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software