Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Convert Photoshop Files to Illustrator?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Convert Photoshop Files to Illustrator?

I think this is the right place to post this, if it's not, my apologies.

I've been working on designing vinyl banners and when I submit my work to my outside printing source, I've typically submitted in .psd format.

Now I've got a project where I'm making large decals for a propane delivery truck. I've contacted a new printing source that specifically prints large-scale decals and I asked her if photoshop format was ok for her. She requested that I create the files in Illustrator. I have Illustrator, but have never taken the time to learn it because I am very comfortable with photoshop, so why switch?

Can anyone explain to me why a large-scale printing source prefers the files in Illustrator format as opposed to photoshop? Also, why can't I just create my files in photoshop and then save them as .ai, wouldn't that be the same thing?

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Re: Convert Photoshop Files to Illustrator?

they are probably asking you to layout the file in ill, the other reason might be that a lot of vinyl cutters use vector paths to cut out the actual shape of your file...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 PM

Hi mate

the main difference between Photoshop and Illustrator are

Photoshop creates Bitmapped images
Illustrator creates Vector based images

I quote:

Illustrator is a vector-based postscript drawing program. It functions by generating curved paths (Bezier curves) connected by modifiable anchor points. These anchors, with their handles are ultimately editable, and never "leave" the structure of the file.
A vector based drawing program creates the various elements of the image as individual vector objects which retain their characteristics and do not become part of a "bitmap".
Fundamental difference: Illustrator generates "vector objects" which are not part of a "bitmap"

see here

another work around is import the photoshop images into a layout program
and export as a Pdf, most printers are happy with this source.

I hope this is of some help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Vector art is used to run plotters and sign cutters. Also with math based vectors, you can enlarge the image infinitely without losing any resolution. I once converted a t-shirt for the boy scouts. I think I made paths of the images in photoshop, and imported them into illustrator and reset the type in illustrator. Since it was printing same size, the paths were good enough this way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM

My understanding is that you can save Photoshop vector documents in .eps format rather than .psd. EPS is one of the tags Illustrator uses and it preserves the vectors for enlarging. So you would not need to import to Illustrator.

This is a quote from

"Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) language file format can contain both vector and bitmap graphics and is supported by virtually all graphic, illustration, and page-layout programs. EPS format is used to transfer PostScript-language artwork between applications. When you open an EPS file containing vector graphics, Photoshop rasterizes the image, converting the vector graphics to pixels.

EPS format supports Lab, CMYK, RGB, Indexed Color, Duotone, Grayscale, and Bitmap color modes, and does not support alpha channels. EPS does support clipping paths. Desktop Color Separations (DCS) format, a version of the standard EPS format, lets you save color separations of CMYK images. You use DCS 2.0 format to export images containing spot channels.To print EPS files, you must use a PostScript printer."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Janet Petty; 10-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm not aware that it will work. A photoshop .eps file with paths opens as an object in illustrator. Export paths to illustrator saves as an .ai file that preserves the paths when opened. But, you have both, try it and see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 PM

EPS format can contain bitmaps as well as vectors (or a blend of both). Bitmaps have to be converted to vector for these type plotters and the results, unless you convert by manual trace (a tedious process) are not that great. You can give the site below a try (use to be free, but no more unfortunately).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM

CS3 can save Ai vector files always you're working in PS with vectors, such the pen tool, vector masks and shapes. Photoshop shows a rasterized preview of the vectors, which means you will see pixelation when zoomin/enlarging in in PS but when printed, they will printed out the same as vectors (without pixelation). The printer shop probably don't know how these apps works, that's why the ask for Ai files. Also, as lkroll says, EPS format was made to export vecotrs from PS to open those vectors in Illustrator and also Corel Draw. More like a compatibility thing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software