RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Software Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

How to copy channel to a new layer? (Photoshop)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 03:49 PM

How to copy channel to a new layer? (Photoshop)

I heard about technique for creating contrast through duplicating one of the color channels to a new layer and then using one of the blending modes. But I can't figure out how do I copy (for example blue) chanel to a new layer... Can anybody help?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:56 PM

Re: How to copy chanel to a new layer? (Photoshop)

Santoro, you can use the command "apply image" and choose the desired channel or in the channels palette select the wanted channel and select all, copy in the layers palette make new layer and choose copy. That's it
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks! I think the same effect can be achieved by creating B&W adjustment layer and then choosing one of the filters.... or not?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post
Thanks! I think the same effect can be achieved by creating B&W adjustment layer and then choosing one of the filters.... or not?
Nope, when you choose the B/W Adjustment Layer you're using the 3 RGB Channels, same with the Channel Mixer. There is a difference for sure, but don't know which.

For copying a channel, also you can go to the cahnnels palette, select the one you like, hit Ctrl/Cmd+A (select all), then select the Composite Channel (the first one which says RGB) and hit Cmd/Ctrl+V to paste the channel into a new layer.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Nope, when you choose the B/W Adjustment Layer you're using the 3 RGB Channels, same with the Channel Mixer. There is a difference for sure, but don't know which.
But in B/W Adjustment Layer you can choose for example blue filter...
Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Re: How to copy channel to a new layer? (Photoshop

The easiest way to create the contrast you desire is to create a new layer, turn that layer to black and white with whatever method you desire, change the blend mode of that layer to luminosity. If there is still not enough contrast, you can create a clipping path on the black and white layer and use either levels or curves to tweak the contrast on that black and white layer.

Of course, if you really want to use one of the channels, go to select all; go to edit; click on copy; return to the layers palette; create a new blank layer; go to edit; click on paste. Voila, you have a black and white layer and can tweak it however you wish and still do the luminosity blend mode in the end.

I hope this helps.

Janet
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
If there is still not enough contrast, you can create a clipping path on the black and white layer and use either levels or curves to tweak the contrast on that black and white layer.
You mean isolate part of an image by drawing the path?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
The easiest way to create the contrast you desire is to create a new layer, turn that layer to black and white....
Create new layer = duplicate original layer with image?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 PM

No I don't mean isolate part of the image by drawing a path. When one layer is placed above another layer, you can create a clipping path by putting your finger on the alt key and carefully positioning your cursor exactly between the two layers. Your cursor will turn into a padlock type thingy. When it does that, click. The top layer will indent and be directly attached to the layer below it. The clipped layer will only affect the layer directly below it, not other layers.

The answer to your "create new layer = duplicate original layer with image" is yes. Create a new layer of the original you wish to work on.

Janet

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software