RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Problem with PSP X

Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Problem with PSP X

Maybe some of you who use PSP can help me with this. I've been using PSP X for a long time and in the beginning it worked just fine. Ran quick and smoothly. For the past few months it has been freezing up more and more. As I'm doing anything, such as using the paint brush, smudge brush or any other tool, I get maybe two strokes and everything freezes. After a few seconds I can tap on the main screen with the pen and it slowly gets back to working. Then does the same thing again. It seems to be getting worse. I can hardly use the program at this point. Any ideas?
I'm using Windows XP, my computer is an HP and only a few years old.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Re: Problem with PSP X

Shooting in the dark here to get the conversation started...

- - - - -

How much "free space" is there on your C:\ drive?

Have you ever "defragmented" C:\?

Is the problem only wuth PSP?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling PSP?

Does PSP have an option for specifying how much RAM to allocate?

If you disconnect your tablet and (gulp) use your mouse only for applying tools or making strokes, does the problem still exist?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks for replying Danny. I do defrag quite often and have plenty of free space on C.
This morning I reset the program preferences back to default settings. I hadn't noticed that option before. It seems have fixed things for now. Thank goodness. I dreaded having to reinstall.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM

It could be that you are running out RAM. This happens as over years you install more software, some of the software modules are constantly in RAM eating up space. HP software is particularly bad in that respect as for virtually every drives you install there is a piece of soft in the RAM checking for updates, waiting to pop up and to offer to buy more staff from HP and so on.
To test RAM load, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, Processes Tab gives you programs that are in RAM, performance tab overall picture.

Another option is a virus, some of them are known to slow down computers.

Pavel

P.S. Posted that and then noticed your reply. it is fixed then
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM

one thing i've noticed with psp is, as your photo library grows, ram gets eaten up more in psp. i believe it's all the cacheing done to make psp 'load faster'. frankly, their way of handling a photo library up through version 11 was somewhat poor. psp x2 seems to handle things a bit better... so far. so, one thing i did with psp 11 was to cut my photo libary size down by quite a bit. this tends to keep more ram available for other things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Craig, I do have a huge photo library. Did you just move your photos to a new folder of get them off of your computer completely?
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM

hi nan,

i had all my pics in one main folder with a lot of sub-folders. i simply told psp to look to that main folder normally. but, when my machine began to slow when loading psp, i simply removed some of the sub-folders outside of the main folder so that psp wouldnt try to load them by default every time it ran. these were mostly older pics that i hadnt looked at in quite a while anyways, so it wasnt much of a sacrifice. i have one partition on this machine devoted almost entirely to pictures and it still is. now, i just dont load all of them into psp by default. they're still there on that partition if i need them.

i dont recall how psp 9 and 10 did it, but in 11 you had to use the 'organizer' feature and tell psp what folders or pictures to load and these would always load when you ran psp, at least the cache would and the thumbs. so, as time went on, every time i ran psp it would take longer and longer to load. and, when i was working on an image, it seemed i would hit that point where things start to slow down and the swap file starts getting used and that would happen sooner and sooner. ergo, get rid of some of the pictures psp loads by default. psp x2 (12) is a little better about loading pictures back in that arent loaded by default, but 11 is somewhat sloppy and fixed/unmovable. so, it's a pain to get psp to load things that arent in the default folders. i never like that, but that's the way it was. psp 12 added a new 'browse' feature that makes this easier again.

so, for pxp 10, i'd recommend going the way i did, move some pics out of the default folders. it'll be a pain getting them back in again easily if you want them, but it shld give you back some resources. i dont think psp/corel figured on some of us having many, many gigabytes of pictures loaded and their folder tree/organizer pretty much sucked in 10 and 11. i think 9 was ok, if i remember correctly, but 11 for sure sucked and i think 10 was the same as 11. so, move some pics out or upgrade to a 64 bit machine where you can have 12 gigs or more of ram or, get psp x2 oh, and x2 is more stable than 10 or 11 were. so, that's a plus, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the detailed information Craig. I'll work on that today.
Nan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software