RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Need slide video maker...suggestions

Old 12-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Need slide video maker...suggestions

I am looking for a slide show maker that will produce WMV output primarily. Also that will accept video clips along with slides.

I am looking for more transitions and effects (lots more) than you get in the free XP version and the Photoshop version.

All suggestions appreciated, the more the merrier.

And thanks to all for the help.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Re: Need slide video maker...suggestions

Hi steve ,
my thoughts on this..
now alot of your good video editors will have a lot of choices for things but generally it will come down to if a editor has a specifice feature or not that your looking for..!! that where you really need to do some research... for example the last time i bought a video editor... I had to to hit the forum boards for that editor and alos write to the company to verify if it could do it..!!

in many cases your not maybe know for sure untill you try the demo first , which i suggest before buying.

also keep in mind.. several of your good editors , there avail plugins for special effects and transional effects!!! so that something else to look at is if there a lot of plugin avail for them ...

output,with wmv format.. that shouldn't be a issue.... most of our good ones again will be able to output to wmv and also other special formats like flash or even mov... looks at the spec of the program...

video input, this is something you want to look at... now all of them will allow avi or mpg!! however... is flash or mov, or some other unusal video imput format important ...??? i have used glash clips along with my regular videoclips to get some nice combinations...

as far as incorporating video and still images.... that shouldn't be a issue again all your good one and decent one will do that...

now a couple of things you may want to think about...
1. overlays... movie maker only one track... but a lot of them will have 2 or more tracks of overlays ... give you a lot more flexibility to do things..
2. don't know if audio/music improtant... but something to at if the program has some special features to handle those in your project..

programs... i am poor...lol... although you'll probably get alot of suggestions about adobe primeir doing everything .... but that too rich for my blood there other programs very good.... and here couple to look at...
http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...1#tabview=tab0

those are two that come to mind... i am sure others will have there suggestions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
I am looking for a slide show maker that will produce WMV output primarily. Also that will accept video clips along with slides.

I am looking for more transitions and effects (lots more) than you get in the free XP version and the Photoshop version.

All suggestions appreciated, the more the merrier.

And thanks to all for the help.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Patron

I have used a bunch of programs over the past few years. My favorite is ProShow Gold by Photodex Corp.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Excellent advice, Jerry. All good food for thought.

Guess I should have stated more what I am after. Two things important to me are the amounts of manipulation you can do with the images and the image manip tools. Therefore I want something with a lot of different kinds of zooms, and transitions. The music will take care of itself. I won't need a music editor. I always put my music in the program first and edit to the music, so the ability to do this is also important.

What looks like a really good one for the price, is Magix Xtreme Photostory on CD & DVD 8. They have a deluxe version at a higher price, but it has things only professional folks would use. Ever heard anything about this? Would like to see a users guide, it looks like it has a pretty steep learning curve, but it does some amazing things.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Steve C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
Hi steve ,
my thoughts on this..
now alot of your good video editors will have a lot of choices for things but generally it will come down to if a editor has a specifice feature or not that your looking for..!! that where you really need to do some research... for example the last time i bought a video editor... I had to to hit the forum boards for that editor and alos write to the company to verify if it could do it..!!

in many cases your not maybe know for sure untill you try the demo first , which i suggest before buying.

also keep in mind.. several of your good editors , there avail plugins for special effects and transional effects!!! so that something else to look at is if there a lot of plugin avail for them ...

output,with wmv format.. that shouldn't be a issue.... most of our good ones again will be able to output to wmv and also other special formats like flash or even mov... looks at the spec of the program...

video input, this is something you want to look at... now all of them will allow avi or mpg!! however... is flash or mov, or some other unusal video imput format important ...??? i have used glash clips along with my regular videoclips to get some nice combinations...

as far as incorporating video and still images.... that shouldn't be a issue again all your good one and decent one will do that...

now a couple of things you may want to think about...
1. overlays... movie maker only one track... but a lot of them will have 2 or more tracks of overlays ... give you a lot more flexibility to do things..
2. don't know if audio/music improtant... but something to at if the program has some special features to handle those in your project..

programs... i am poor...lol... although you'll probably get alot of suggestions about adobe primeir doing everything .... but that too rich for my blood there other programs very good.... and here couple to look at...
http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...1#tabview=tab0

those are two that come to mind... i am sure others will have there suggestions..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I have used a bunch of programs over the past few years. My favorite is ProShow Gold by Photodex Corp.
Regards, Murray
Have seen this on the internet....haven't done much research, but will.

Thanks much.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 PM

hi,
i know what you mean about you wanting a lot of abilities ....

magix was one of the programs i was thinking for you to look at but i forgot to mentioned it...lol ..... although not that familiar with the version you ref...

now as far as user manual... i tried looking for it... but they don't seem to make one avail for download.. not sure why not..... a good user manual will go into details about fretures... it looks like the only way your going to get it is
1. download the trial version and hopefully it will be in there when in insstall it... the file will be called manual.pdf..
2. go on thier forum and see if some one can send you a copy of the manual.pdf file!!

note: i tired to find a detail list of features at there site but couldn't.

as far as features only for a professional... I don't know about that... I saw several features that i would use.... in fact i didn't see any thing that wouldn't reall use...

now one of the features i like was the removing objects from photo's... but i didn't see anything about removing a object from a video clip!! .. that something i think i be looking for in my next program or the very least use a plugin for that....

as far as transional effects you might want to take another look at proshow gold, it appears they have more than magix.....

now special effects that something that you might want to look at closer... that can really some time highlit a clip.. for example... with my old ulead movie studio 9 .... i can have a animated gif or a transparent flash ,come from out side , into the scene !!

Quote:
Excellent advice, Jerry. All good food for thought.

Guess I should have stated more what I am after. Two things important to me are the amounts of manipulation you can do with the images and the image manip tools. Therefore I want something with a lot of different kinds of zooms, and transitions. The music will take care of itself. I won't need a music editor. I always put my music in the program first and edit to the music, so the ability to do this is also important.

What looks like a really good one for the price, is Magix Xtreme Photostory on CD & DVD 8. They have a deluxe version at a higher price, but it has things only professional folks would use. Ever heard anything about this? Would like to see a users guide, it looks like it has a pretty steep learning curve, but it does some amazing things.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Man, I'm getting dizzy from all the great info.........but it is very much appreciated.

I now have the Xtreme Photostory installed, and am figuring out a few things. You are right however about no PDF to download. So I am going to copy off some of the built-in guide and give that a good going-over.

My only objection to it so far...other than my slowness to catch on to all the bells and whistles...is the fact that it installed 4 folders at random places on your pc that you have to look for if you are trying to check what is in them and why. Think I can live with this. May not need to access them after I get on to the program a bit more.

BTW, the CD & DVD 8 version has just been released and is, of course, version 8.

Am still open for more thought on this from anyonme who cares to share.

And again thanks much for your interest.

Also Jerry, if you will, clue me in to this "Flash" business. Does it only record for use by the Flash software, or what. I see a lot of Flash slide show makers and recorders and would like to know the difference in these and what we have been talking about.

Steve C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
hi,
i know what you mean about you wanting a lot of abilities ....

magix was one of the programs i was thinking for you to look at but i forgot to mentioned it...lol ..... although not that familiar with the version you ref...

now as far as user manual... i tried looking for it... but they don't seem to make one avail for download.. not sure why not..... a good user manual will go into details about fretures... it looks like the only way your going to get it is
1. download the trial version and hopefully it will be in there when in insstall it... the file will be called manual.pdf..
2. go on thier forum and see if some one can send you a copy of the manual.pdf file!!

note: i tired to find a detail list of features at there site but couldn't.

as far as features only for a professional... I don't know about that... I saw several features that i would use.... in fact i didn't see any thing that wouldn't reall use...

now one of the features i like was the removing objects from photo's... but i didn't see anything about removing a object from a video clip!! .. that something i think i be looking for in my next program or the very least use a plugin for that....

as far as transional effects you might want to take another look at proshow gold, it appears they have more than magix.....

now special effects that something that you might want to look at closer... that can really some time highlit a clip.. for example... with my old ulead movie studio 9 .... i can have a animated gif or a transparent flash ,come from out side , into the scene !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 02:34 PM

hi,
first keep in mind there different flash formats.. the most common ones that one hear about is, when downloading from yourtube which is in *.flv format or another that is *.swf which is used for the web on websites alot

many of your editors will allow you import a swf file to use in your project or export your project as a swf file to be used on the web...
note: for magix i am fairly sure it will import but if you can't find the manual.pdf or manual.zip in one of the folders, the list of importable formats should be in the help section ..

now your dedicated flash editor/maker/creator type programs now they generally have special features avail to them... for example..
those onlines sites where a flash video is open and you click items within the video to do things... this link is shows ecards that does that... and they used adobe flash editor to do that...
http://www.jacquielawson.com/

now i have also seen retouching sites use flash instead of a roll over script to show before and after ..

I hope that helps

Quote:
Man, I'm getting dizzy from all the great info.........but it is very much appreciated.

I now have the Xtreme Photostory installed, and am figuring out a few things. You are right however about no PDF to download. So I am going to copy off some of the built-in guide and give that a good going-over.

My only objection to it so far...other than my slowness to catch on to all the bells and whistles...is the fact that it installed 4 folders at random places on your pc that you have to look for if you are trying to check what is in them and why. Think I can live with this. May not need to access them after I get on to the program a bit more.

BTW, the CD & DVD 8 version has just been released and is, of course, version 8.

Am still open for more thought on this from anyonme who cares to share.

And again thanks much for your interest.

Also Jerry, if you will, clue me in to this "Flash" business. Does it only record for use by the Flash software, or what. I see a lot of Flash slide show makers and recorders and would like to know the difference in these and what we have been talking about.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:15 PM

I too want what steve wants and for the past view months I've considered both Pro Show Gold and Magix. Most of the reviews I've read recommend Magix over Pro Show Gold. They say Pro Show is a steep learning curve without much documentation. I down loaded Magix for a 30 day trial, but I found a lot of time was needed to learn the program and the 30 days expired before I could spend the necessary time. So Steve let me know what you end up with and how you like it. Murray how is the learning curve for ProShow Gold. I also heard with Pro Show Gold that it would allow mp3s of copyright songs?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM

i'm not reading all the posts here, so forgive if i duplicate. for the very simple, try microsoft's photo story 3. last i knew it was free off the M$ sites. not sure it does video clips, though.

check out macromedia. actually, i guess it's now adobe macromedia, but they are about the best you'll find. i believe you can embed just about anything and have full control of the time line and transitions as well as many, many other features. i did my first slide/video thing using the demo, but that was years ago. it's a bit more of a steep curve than some others, but it shld give you all the power you could possibly want short of doing 3d... and i'm not sure it cant to that now, too

i'm currently using Pinnacle Studio 9 for my video stuff and slides. it can do both, though i havent tried to mix the two yet. i got it free with a capture card i bought. the capture card allows me to input from any video source, like a vcr, tv, dvr and so on. being that i have satellite tv and a dvr, i simply capture things on the dvr, where they are saved and then i cull and pull what i want through the capture card to the computer and edit there. very nice. now, the only caveat i have with it is that the software that came with the capture card is decent, but the pinnacle guys have set this up so that they sold me the more or less basic software and want me to buy all the 'extras' from their website. tempting, but i just hate companies that do that, so i have ignored it so far. still, it's nice software, even what i have. it captures both video and audio and i can also have it input photos off the computer to make a slide show. so, for the simple stuff i do, it's fairly adequate.

you shld also check out sourceforge ( http://sourceforge.net/ ). they almost always surprise me in what they have there. i'm not currently up on slide/video stuff there, but i find it's almost always worth a gander to go check things out there.

i also seem to recall this subject coming up before on RP, so you might try a search here in this, or maybe even one of the other, forums.

and, with a simple google search on 'video editing', i came up with this: http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/01/f...tware-for.html

also, and this really belongs in the hardware forum, but if you're taking videos yourself, check out sony's new line of 60x optical zoom cameras. yep, 60x! and the thing fits in the palm of your hand easily. here's the link: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665738338
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software