RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photozoom Pro 3 Plugin

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Photozoom Pro 3 Plugin

Hello there, I'm using Photoshop CS4 on OS 10.6.2. My question is actually more specific to the Photozoom Pro 3 Automate Plugin for Photoshop CS4, sorry if I broke any forum rules.
But if anyone's familiar with the PhotoZoom Pro 3 Plugin, here's a question for you, what does the resolution field do exactly?

I've always found the resizing dialogues in PS to be pretty straightforward: there's a field for dimensions, and a field for resolution. Whatever numbers you punch in, is the results of the new image after you click "OK." Is it just me or does the PhotoZoom Pro dialogue not make any sense?

Example given: I have a low res photo, 4 in x 6 in at 72 dpi. I want to resize it to 8 in x 12 in at 300 dpi. My natural instinct would be to punch in 8 x 12 for the dimension field, and 300 for the resolution field. But if I were to do this, the plugin somehow reads that I want to resize it at 833%. And I end up with a 50 in x 33 in photo at 72 dpi.

If I only punch in 300 dpi for the resolution, and left dimensions as it is, the plugin reads that I want to resize at 416.67% and I end up with a 25 x 16 photo at 72 dpi.

So does PhotoZoom not understand dpi, or am I forgetting something? Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (98.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM

Re: Photozoom Pro 3 Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflex View Post
If I only punch in 300 dpi for the resolution, and left dimensions as it is, the plugin reads that I want to resize at 416.67% and I end up with a 25 x 16 photo at 72 dpi.
What you have done here is enlarge your pic so that it will print on a 300 DPI printer at the same size in inches as it displays on your computer screen.

Quote:
I have a low res photo, 4 in x 6 in at 72 dpi. I want to resize it to 8 in x 12 in at 300 dpi. My natural instinct would be to punch in 8 x 12 for the dimension field, and 300 for the resolution field. But if I were to do this, the plugin somehow reads that I want to resize it at 833%. And I end up with a 50 in x 33 in photo at 72 dpi.
This is exactly what you want.

Make the conversions in pixels/points and you'll find out this is all correct and what you want.

Btw, I also have PhotoZoom Pro 3 and it is a great plugin.

And you are certainly posting in the wrong subforum, the software one would have been more appropriate I think. a moderator will probably move it there I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Re: Photozoom Pro 3 Plugin

moved to software forum.

and welcome to RP
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software