RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Desktop/Photoshop Video recorder

Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 AM

Question Desktop/Photoshop Video recorder

Afternoon all

I'm trying to make a video for a friend of me retouching (and then going somewhat beyond) a portrait. It will then be sped up and submitted as a kind of side-car to a larger project. Problem is all video recorders seem to either do something unwanted to Photoshop (Flickering cursor being the main one, though another slows re-draw times considerably - No flicking on/off layers for immediate obvious difference) or the output quality is diabolical.

As I see a few people on here have made retouching videos, some actualy sold etc, which program did you use? Are there any that just run without me knowing they are running, and still output good quality?

I don't think it's a system resources problem. 3.2ghz Quad, 16GB of ram and a powerful GPU. I have a 30" and a 24" monitor but i'm only assigning it to record a minimised window of photoshop (For easier viewing on smaller screens).

Cheers in advance for the help
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Re: Desktop/Photoshop Video recorder

I have the same issue, and would love an answer. I've tried several, and I know some use Cam Studio, but it doesn't capture my entire screen and the cursor is off by about 2 inches.

I am using Windows 7 and CS4. 7 is 64 bit, so this could be the issue...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Patron

Have you looked at Replay Video Capture by Applian (Applian.com)?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Was recommended Camstasia Studio by someone and it seems to be working a treat. Have it set to monitor a 1280x800 ish res window of photoshop (Yikes, how did we ever edit on screens that small?!) and I have absolutely no idea it's running when I'm editing. Everything runs super smooth, and the output quality is exactly the same as what i'm seeing on screen. Two thumbs up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 AM

yes, camtasia or camstudio shld work fine. one is open source (camstudio) and the other commercial ($299), but both shld do the job. just be careful not to fill your harddrive(s)... they tend to eat up a lot of harddrive space. i also think virtualdub from sourceforge can now do desktop captures. it's also free, but someone shld confirm that for me by trying it. and, i forget if camstudio and camtasia can also edit what they capture, so check them out more fully, but if they cant, i believe virtualdub can.

camtasia: http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

camstudio: http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/

virtualdub: http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Not quite in the same area of discussion, but I am trying to capture individual frames from a DVD video. I have done all the suggested tweaking on Windows media player....no layering....no video acceleration, etc. but nothing helps. I still get layering and cannot use it as a still frame.

I am using ImageGrab...a non-install program which will read DVD'd and capture frames, but they are 640x480 size max. BTW it is a good program except for this...and free.

So any suggestions for something that will do this frame grabbing from DVD's and won't take up half the drive will be much appreciated.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 AM

I am thinking that jettlee1 is a spambot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM

i use pinnacle 9 studio. i got it with a computer video/tv capture card. i can pull stuff directly off my vcr, dvd, television or any other video source that uses composite or s-video. the pinnacle editor allows me to capture and edit the video. i can even load in a batch of stills and make a slide/video show.

but, i would guess you could also find just a video editor to do what you want. do a google on video editors and also try sourceforge.net , you might be able to find a decent freebie.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software