RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

a list of must-have PAID software/plugins?!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM

a list of must-have PAID software/plugins?!

hey all!

i'm a photographer specializing in events/portraits, and just a bit of wedding stuff. its been very long since i went deep into the 'software side' already. so i'm back to get in touch!

i'd like to know, what paid software do you think has worked out for you very well? in terms of convenience ( for weddings, we can't spend too much time on PP ), difference in effects ( dave hill HDR, lomo etc ) ?

i would love to invest in quite a few if possible. currently i already have my software for skin retouching and HDR (Lucis). feel free to recommend any PS CS4 plugins/actions or standalones [yes, give a laundry list if you want! but say why was it good for you ] that will help in my area of work - especially portraits. thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: a list of must-have PAID software/plugins?!

Here's all the info on plug-ins you need (URL in sig).

Topaz products are extremely hot right now because of the bang-for-buck quotient (ie, high quality, wide range of effects and enhancements at fair prices). For what you spent on the product you listed you could have bought a LOT of other more useful things! ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

hey thanks for the update!

i'll go take a look.

one thing though - the price is not an issue, because i see it as a long-term investment, and i wouldn't mind spending a bomb on it if it's THAT good. so c'mon, throw me all the software you guys think are time-savers and jaw-droppers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM

I have the Topaz plugins ...talk about time saving and I think the price is very fair
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM

I love Topaz as well. I also use OnOne Photo Tools all the time. It can do so much with just a few clicks and you can layer effects with varying degrees to get exactly the look you want in very little time. I bought the whole suite and use it daily. Nik Viveza is fabulous for brightening eyes, playing with saturation, light, contrast, etc. It works with control points so you can edit just a small area or color. I often use it on just lips and eyes.

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 PM

thanks a bunch! onOne photo tools looks good to me.

oh yes, is there possibly any software I can possibly use with ACR? I often process my RAWs using ACR and would like to do some quick "cut and paste" effects for some photos (directly in RAW, rather than applying after i convert to jpg), leaving only a few selected ones for pixel-level editing in photoshop.

also need one whereby i can add quick catchlights without launching photoshop. ( is it even possible? )

in case you're wondering, i don't use lightroom because of the catalog feature. ACR is lighter and is very suitable for my workflow..

keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited by des34415; 04-08-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Don't pay full price for plug-ins! More specials to be added soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Yea for specials! I've only paid full price for a little of my software. Most were well discounted. NAPP often has discounts. If you aren't a member, you might consider it. Kind people on RP will often point you towards goodies as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Nik's Color Efex Pro is also very useful. I use the dynamic skin softener quite a bit. It's very adjustable, and then I'll reduce opacity to get a realistic look without the flaws. There are a number of good filters in it. I purchased the Nik bundle with Sharpener, Define, Viveza and Color Efex. I tend to use the sharpening in OnOne Photo Tools more often, but I like the noise removal in Define. Everything in the suite creates its effects on a new layer except Viveza, which requires the layer to be converted to a smart filter. I prefer each filter on separate layers so I can mix and match opacity to get what I want.

I thought Alien Skin Image Doctor was a waste of money. Either it's not a great program or I just don't know how to use it properly - which is entirely possible.

Becky
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software