Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop Issue CS3

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Question Photoshop Issue CS3

Hi All,

I am having problem when moving a picture into another picture/document when using the move tool (dragging). CS3 stops working and I have close the program and restart.
So I drag a picture into another document within photoshop and right away I expand the window boom it freezes. I wont freeze if I wait like a few seconds after dragging and then expand the window or if on the destination document there is only the background layer (original).

Anyone has encounter this same problem? I've googled but nothing. Thank you for your time.

I am running Vista Home
4GB Memory Quad Processor
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Re: Photoshop Issue CS3

While I don't recall seeing this issue, it sounds like a GPU or video RAM issue to me. Just a guess of course.

Since it sounds like a technique you would have used before (dragging and dropping), did it just start happening ? If so, what has changed recently.... did you change a graphics option to help something else ?... upgrade ?... anything. Anything that has changed is usually the culprit.

If nothing rings a bell, how about drivers ? Did Vista auto-update your video driver by chance ? You could try rolling it back to the previous version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 PM

get win7. vista is a hog! it's eating your resources. make the move, do the upgrade. i can now say without any doubts, that win7 is the best, out of the box o/s microsoft has ever produced. period!

get win7, do the upgrade and see if that doesnt help.

ok, barring that, you want help now. first question: has this always done this since you had vista or is this something that just started happening?

second question: if if just started, then, did you change anything recently on your system just prior to this happening, like, did you upgrade a piece of software, add some new hardware, install that killer game that wants you to put Steam on your system, or anything else like this?

third: does anyone else use your system? anyone?

4th: how large is your swap file (page file)??

5th: you say you have 4 gigs, but is this a 64 bit system?

6th: are you running any 'call home' pieces, like auto-updaters, active scanners, aggressive malware killers and anything else that runs in the background but sends out data to its own home site or that is actively and constantly scanning for viruses and such?

7th: have you visited and cleaned out your services of unwanted junk?

8th: when's the last time your did a registry cleaning or defragmenting?

let's leave it at those for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Thank you both for responding. Actually this has been happening since I first got CS3. It just that I never bother to question it since I made sure I save before moving something into the destination file, use copy and paste or I just move it wait a few seconds and it was fine.
Also I do not think it has to do with Vista, I first had CS3 on an XP computer with a lots less resources and was still doing the same. The system that I have CS3 on right now is Dell XPS 420 32 bit system.

Regarding keeping the system healthy, I do run malware programs and anti virus, never had a problem.
I've never paid much attention on the size of the file been swap, but I usually work with raw files or a combination of files that come out of a Canon Xti Camera and I've not done complex retouch where I have many many layers out there so I am not sure what's going on.

Since it was happening on two different computers and two completely different systems, I assume that it has to do with the CS3 software itself.

Soon I will be updating to CS5 (2-3 months) and hopefully I do not encounter this problem. Once again, thank you for taking the time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software