RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Best software for enlarging photos?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Re: Best software for enlarging photos?

Thanks secretagent, i will check out photozoom
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 03:38 PM

the last time i ran a test, alienskin blowup had the best results over photoshop and genuine fractals but that was about a year ago...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM

also regarding enlarging photos.... should I enlarge before retouching or after retouching. I have a 15.1 megapixel Cannon and set on Raw when I shoot, my pics come out 10.56 in x 15.84 when set at a resolution of 300. If I wanted to be able to make a larger sized print of this image (16x20) should I do the enlarging before retouching? Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Patron

Dak, I would open the image from Camera Raw in 16 bit, do all the retouching and keep that master retouched file (archive it as a PSD or a compressed / uncompressed TIFF). Then generate all copies (whetehr enlarged or reduced) from that master copy.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Unless you are taking tiny originals, blowing them up huge, stick with Photoshop (Bicubic sharper for reduction, smoother for upsizing). This negates the need for step interpolation. Even better, if you can do so at the raw rendering stage, upsize using Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom which has an adaptive resize algorithm (a bit more advanced than the one size fits all variations using Bicubic smoother), and since it happens at the raw rendering stage, its totally non destructive. For sizing of 200-300%, Photoshop will do the job quite well.

Might want to read this piece by “Dr.“ Schewe:
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...he-up-res.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 PM

dak paule,

when i do restorations on small images, i always enlarge first. the reason is if you are enlarging a lot you can end up having to correct enlarging mistakes/flaws afterwards. it's best to see all the flaws/mistakes/aliasing/pixelization/blocks etc. before doing anything else.

that's restoration. retouching may be a little different, but the concept shld still be about the same.

the best thing you could do is to simply run a test. take an image you wish to retouch and enlarge first then retouch, then do it again the other way around and compare. that's the best way to decide.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM

I have alienskin blowup2 which is think has better results over photoshop and genuine fractals. Use it at work and home. There is a 30 day free trial.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 AM

Another good tool is SAR Image Processor

http://www.general-cathexis.com/

Gewuerz
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Patron

my 2 cents

ImageMagick is free software delivered as a ready-to-run binary distribution or as source code, excellent if you are a techy and knowledgeable with command line input... to use it effectively you have to be willing to get technical and read up on how to use all these parameters or use some programs developed by others for the program.

The Lanczos algorithm in Irfanview (free software) is also very good for resampling (also has advanced Batch settings for bulk resizing)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software