RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Best software for enlarging photos?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Best software for enlarging photos?

I've got numerous photos that have unfortunately been saved at a small file size (about 1mb), and i'm wanting to enlarge them to print at the best quality size possible.

I've got photoshop cs4, but wondering if anyone knows of a good plug in, software or technique to enlarge these photos for good results.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Patron

Re: Best software for enlarging photos?

The best I have come across has been a plugin called Genuine Fractals. However, you need to remember a basic rule - Garbage in = Garbage out. You need a min of 500K pixels for the result to be good. Also if you image is full of gross jpg pixelation, the upsizing will also display those disfiguring blocks.
Others will tell you they achieve almost as good results by upsizing incrementally in PS by between 1 and 5% per upsize (usually creating an action to automate the process).
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Patron

Another way that is pretty easy and seems to work well is to use photoshop's Image size bicubic sharper option to do your upscaling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 AM

Hi Phil

I thought photoshops bicubic smoother was better than bicubic sharper for enlarging/ upscaling???

Thanks Murray for the info on genuine fractals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Patron

Oops, Sponge you are correct. Its Bicubic smoother and the 10% per pass rule as Murray mentioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM

I do not know the current best, it also depend on the type of image, they have trials...
Alien skin blow up 2 http://www.alienskin.com/blowup/index.aspx
Genuine Fractals 6 http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=7
AKVIS Magnifier 3 http://akvis.com/en/magnifier/index.php
Reshade http://reshade.com/product/stand-alone
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Patron

I was right the first time. I have an issue of The photoshop book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby and I also have the adobe photoshop CS4 book by Kelby as well which was published in 2009. At any rate, in the CS4 edition page 186, Kelby credits Vincent Versace for this tip. "According to Vincent's research, the key is to not use the sampling method Adobe recommends (which is Bicubic Smoother), and instead to choose bicubic Sharper in the resample pop up menu."

Sorry for my confusion, to verify my opinion initially I pulled out the wrong edition. I would suggest you give it a try before buying any other software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with Photoshops bicubic smoother upsampling
also this article by Jeff Schewe will give you great enlarged prints using Photokit Sharpener as part of the process: http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...he-up-res.html ...... especially page 4
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
I was right the first time. I have an issue of The photoshop book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby and I also have the adobe photoshop CS4 book by Kelby as well which was published in 2009. At any rate, in the CS4 edition page 186, Kelby credits Vincent Versace for this tip. "According to Vincent's research, the key is to not use the sampling method Adobe recommends (which is Bicubic Smoother), and instead to choose bicubic Sharper in the resample pop up menu."

Sorry for my confusion, to verify my opinion initially I pulled out the wrong edition. I would suggest you give it a try before buying any other software.
Thats interesting Phil, you would think our friends at Adobe would test the Bicubic smoother and sharper etc, and inform us which is the best option to use as smoother is the one they recommend using for enlargements every time we go to use it in CS4, where as Vincent Versace recommends bicubic sharper. Interesting but confusing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 AM

I have PhotoZoom Pro 3. I think it is good. One to check out anyway IMO.

http://www.benvista.com/main/content/content.php
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software