RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

cs5 mask vs topaz remask,which is the best

Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Question cs5 mask vs topaz remask,which is the best

hi
today i was giving a look at topaz remask http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/

to be honest i don't like the topaz plugins

but topaz remask seems really great and seems better then fluid mask and mask pro

now

does somebody did a compare between topaz remask and photoshop cs5 ?
which is the more easy and better

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Re: cs5 mask vs topaz remask,which is the best

I've tried the Topaz Demo, it doesn't measure up to the CS5 refine mask ability.

I've also tried Fluid Mask, Corel KnockOut, Auto Mask, and a variety of others to try to simplify the task of creating masks, and nothing ever worked half as well as they'd like to make you think.

However, I've got to say ..... the CS5 masking feature is one of the few good reasons to upgrade to CS5, while it doesn't do a perfect job, it does what it does far better than any masking plug in I've ever tried.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Hi Mantra,
I have CS5 and Remask (they just released a free 64-bit upgrade so it now works directly with CS5), and have done testing with both, and like them both. I think both are easy to use, neither is going to give you a perfect result in every case, but they're a couple of the best I've tried. It all depends on the original, sometimes Refine Edge works better, sometimes Remask works better. I really like the decontaminate feature in Refine Edge. I do wish Remask would give you the option of opening a new layer with a mask, I just think it's easier to tweak a mask after the fact. You could always use a layer mask on the drop-out layer to bring back detail from the background layer where it might have gone too far. I was just experimenting on a particularly difficult image and used both Remask and Refine Edge in separate layers and then masked out the parts where one or the other didn't do so well, and it seemed to come up with a really clean cut out. After using Remask (by itself) I've also made a selection of the knocked out area and turned it into a mask. That seemed to clean things up a bit more than the original result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB View Post
I've tried the Topaz Demo, it doesn't measure up to the CS5 refine mask ability.

I've also tried Fluid Mask, Corel KnockOut, Auto Mask, and a variety of others to try to simplify the task of creating masks, and nothing ever worked half as well as they'd like to make you think.

However, I've got to say ..... the CS5 masking feature is one of the few good reasons to upgrade to CS5, while it doesn't do a perfect job, it does what it does far better than any masking plug in I've ever tried.
thanks a lot
so the best is cs5

about the others ? i mean the third plugins , topac come at the top , or there is something better , i talking about plugins

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Question Re: cs5 mask vs topaz remask,which is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by holgaman View Post
Hi Mantra,
I have CS5 and Remask (they just released a free 64-bit upgrade so it now works directly with CS5), and have done testing with both, and like them both. I think both are easy to use, neither is going to give you a perfect result in every case, but they're a couple of the best I've tried. It all depends on the original, sometimes Refine Edge works better, sometimes Remask works better. I really like the decontaminate feature in Refine Edge. I do wish Remask would give you the option of opening a new layer with a mask, I just think it's easier to tweak a mask after the fact. You could always use a layer mask on the drop-out layer to bring back detail from the background layer where it might have gone too far. I was just experimenting on a particularly difficult image and used both Remask and Refine Edge in separate layers and then masked out the parts where one or the other didn't do so well, and it seemed to come up with a really clean cut out. After using Remask (by itself) I've also made a selection of the knocked out area and turned it into a mask. That seemed to clean things up a bit more than the original result.
thanks a lot!
did you make some compare with others plugins similar to topaz remask ?

can i with topaz remask make a selection and add to a new layer(copy of the original) in the mask ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I have tried both Fluid Mask and Mask Pro and both are quite tedious, at least for me, and didn't give me as good results as either Remask or Refine Edge.

I'm not exactly clear what you are asking in your second question. Do you mean make a selection and a new layer copy before or after using Remask?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holgaman View Post
I have tried both Fluid Mask and Mask Pro and both are quite tedious, at least for me, and didn't give me as good results as either Remask or Refine Edge.

I'm not exactly clear what you are asking in your second question. Do you mean make a selection and a new layer copy before or after using Remask?
i mean does topaz save the result in a new layer or make and save a mask in the channel mixer?

thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Toapz does not make a new layer on it's own, you have to do that yourself before opening the plug-in (it will even tell you to if you forget). The result after using the plug-in is the background knocked out, no layer or vector mask is involved.

Last edited by holgaman; 06-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 03:03 PM

I use Vertus from a long time and for me it still the best, but depending on the
type of the image one plug-in or technique may be better, but sure Vertus is
not simple to use. Right now my main tools are Vertus, Topaz and the CS5...
Akvis Smart Mask is also very interesting.

Made with my tools:
Before http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1...sc0607pogr.jpg
After http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9392/...dsc0607pfx.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
I use Vertus from a long time and for me it still the best, but depending on the
type of the image one plug-in or technique may be better, but sure Vertus is
not simple to use. Right now my main tools are Vertus, Topaz and the CS5...
Akvis Smart Mask is also very interesting.

Made with my tools:
Before http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1...sc0607pogr.jpg
After http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9392/...dsc0607pfx.jpg
very nice Job!!!

is Vertus?
i mean did you use it?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software