RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

lens correction filter connection time out ,help

Old 06-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Question lens correction filter connection time out ,help

Hi
i use cs5 under w7 32bit

and when i use the filter ,lens correction and i click on search for online i get a timeout error

the second time i click i get no online profile

i disabled the firewall, antivirus and uac

don't know why

did you notice a similar issue?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Patron

Re: lens correction filter connection time out ,h

The message may mean simply that the Adobe database was examined and no profile was found for that particular camera lens.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Mantra,
It certainly sounds like a firewall or AV issue, if it is only happening within Photoshop. I see where you have posted the question elsewhere on the internet. Let us know what you find out.

Some thoughts....

- if you are not seeing the same issue while browsing in Windows 7, it's likely not an issue with Win7 TCP/IP settings.

- it could be an invalid entry in the DNS cache. You could try flushing the DNS cache and see if this helps. It is non-destructive and won't affect anything else.
open a command prompt as administrator...
ipconfig /flushdns
You should see a message it was successful.
exit

- the Lens Correction filter appears to check once a day for a successful connection to the Adobe site. If it connects once, and successfully updates the camera database, it appears that it will not try again that day. It should be possible to find the setting with the plug-in or registry that controls this and modify it. As of now, I don't see it in the registry; so, it could be embedded in the plug-in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 AM

Cool Re: lens correction filter connection time out ,h

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Some thoughts....

- if you are not seeing the same issue while browsing in Windows 7, it's likely not an issue with Win7 TCP/IP settings.
i have not such issue browsing in w7
i use firefox , thunderbird , lightroom and other programs that access to the net , only lens filter gives me such error

Quote:
- it could be an invalid entry in the DNS cache. You could try flushing the DNS cache and see if this helps. It is non-destructive and won't affect anything else.
open a command prompt as administrator...
ipconfig /flushdns
You should see a message it was successful.
exit
thanks sadly it did not work

Quote:
- the Lens Correction filter appears to check once a day for a successful connection to the Adobe site. If it connects once, and successfully updates the camera database, it appears that it will not try again that day. It should be possible to find the setting with the plug-in or registry that controls this and modify it. As of now, I don't see it in the registry; so, it could be embedded in the plug-in.
i did monitor , and i doesn't
i check to connect only if i prompt to check

the weird is that under xp works

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Mantra,
The more I've thought about your problem, the more inclined I am to believe it is a Windows 7 firewall issue. This type of connectivity issue falls into the "application connectivity" group, not a network or OS connectivity issue, since it only happens within Photoshop.

Adobe should support you if you call and enter a problem report with them. They can provide the server address, protocol and port number the application uses. They may also be able to walk you through the process of ensuring the firewall does not block the address, protocol or port. (If they don't, just let us know and we'll help out - but we need the server address, protocol and port info.)

It also sounds like an arbitrary problem, not a default within the Win7 install. Otherwise, I would suspect many other Win7 users would be reporting the same problem. So, just in case, double check any other software you may have installed that could potentially block ports.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 AM

"no online profile"... doesnt that mean it's looking for a logged in user with a valid adobe account registration? and if it's working on your xp machine then that would mean the xp machine has recorded and remembered your online account profile where the win7 machine hasnt?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2010, 04:55 AM

Exclamation Re: lens correction filter connection time out ,h

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Mantra,
The more I've thought about your problem, the more inclined I am to believe it is a Windows 7 firewall issue. This type of connectivity issue falls into the "application connectivity" group, not a network or OS connectivity issue, since it only happens within Photoshop.

Adobe should support you if you call and enter a problem report with them. They can provide the server address, protocol and port number the application uses. They may also be able to walk you through the process of ensuring the firewall does not block the address, protocol or port. (If they don't, just let us know and we'll help out - but we need the server address, protocol and port info.)

It also sounds like an arbitrary problem, not a default within the Win7 install. Otherwise, I would suspect many other Win7 users would be reporting the same problem. So, just in case, double check any other software you may have installed that could potentially block ports.
i found it!
weird i know but i found it

on the compatibility of photoshop cs5 i disabled desktop composition and now it works great

but this is very weird

i have w7 ultimate
do you have all the graphics feature on ? TommyO

thanks for the support
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Cool !

That makes sense... sort of.
(For those reading, this is a feature of Win7, not Photoshop.)

Desktop Composition is a program attribute that determines whether or not the program can use the Desktop Window Manager API. This was introduced in Vista and does not exist in XP. By calling this API, the program can render graphics and other cool effects directly in video RAM.

I suspect the Lens Correction filter is making remote calls to this API and does not know how to handle it when Desktop Composition is turned OFF. So, it just sits there.

I see no need to turn off Desktop Composition unless told to do so by a manufacturer, running Win7 on an older computer, or for trouble-shooting purposes. In fact, your system should be faster when leaving it on.

To save all of you techies the time of looking up where to find out more about DWM, here is a link to the Microsoft MSDN site link... here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software