RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop Cs3 Color Settings

Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Photoshop Cs3 Color Settings

I'm confused, in photoshop cs3 color settings, under working space, RGB. I had saved the settings that was made in color settings a months ago, and gave it a date, sometimes photoshop brush doesn't work and I have to go into color settings and redo everything. I had also calibrated my apple cinemaview and it is also under color settings. The confusion is this, sometimes photoshop brushes, clone brush etc. doesn't work, do I go back under color settings and clicked on the last color settings date, use Adobe Rgb 1998, or do I use the apple cinemaview calibrated settings for my working space. I hope this is not too confusing to understand. Thanks for some input.

Gerald Sr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Re: Photoshop Cs3 Color Settings

Hi Gerald: When you have a problem like this in Photoshop, the best thing you can do is re-initiate Photoshop to it's default settings, then you go to color settings and look for the settings you already got there in the drop down menu. To do this, hold control + alt + shift (command +option+shift on a Mac) and click the Photoshop icon. You will get a window asking if you want to delete the settings file, click YES. Photoshop will return to the default settings, and you won't lose the old settings, but you will need to re-do your preferences. This is something we need to do from time to time if you use Ps constantly, at least that is my case. (I don't know about cinema view, sorry).

Regards

Last edited by Boneappetit; 08-21-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM

The apple cinemaview is a 24" monitor that is hooked up to my hp desktop monitor. It is a great monitor for photo restoration. You meant to delete the photoshop preferences? Thanks for your help.

Gerald Sr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren View Post
You meant to delete the photoshop preferences? Thanks for your help.

Gerald Sr.
In a way yes, but not exactly "delete", what Ps does is "re-initiate" to it's default settings, the same thing as when you run a defragment in Windows, Ps "organize" itself, and it works like it has to. You are welcome.

Last edited by Boneappetit; 08-21-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM

I have photoshop cs3, also, I have a canon 40d. I would like to know in color settings under working spaces, is it okay to use the camera Srgb profile or Adobe Rgb 1998?.

Gerald Sr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Patron

Gerald, if you shoot the photos in RAW it does not matter what your color space setting s are because color space settings, as well as Contrast & Sharpness are only applied by your camera's processor when it saves the file as a .jpg or .tiff.
If you are not shooting your photos in RAW (shame on you), then you need to choose sRGB or Adobe RGB. sRGB is the safest color space to use if you are going to have your images directly printed at a big box store or if you will directly load them on a web site or send them to someone who does not have a color managed workflow. However, please note that AdobeRGB has is a wider gamut color space. If you understand and use color management, then you can edit those files in AdobeRGB and convert copies to sRGB when you export for printing or disseminating to users with non color managed workflows. But back to my 1st point: you have more fllexibility and recoverability if you have original RAW files from the camera.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
... sometimes photoshop brush doesn't work and I have to go into color settings and redo everything.
Gerald Sr.
Why do you change your Photoshop color settings when your brushes don't work? I haven't heard about that connection?

What do your brushes/clone tool do or not do when you find they don't work - do you see the circle with the slant line inside that says it is not available or do you just not see any color go down on the layer or what?
What are you doing when it happens? Are you working on a selection? Have you changed Image > Modes and left RGB mode? Are you using a Wacom or other tablet? (sometimes there is some interference / confusion between the mouse and the tablet from what I've read on other forums). Have you downloaded new specialty brushes?

Try: Reset All Tools, there is a triangle drop-down menu next to the active tool's icon - not on the tool box, but on the main menu. Just under the File & Edit menus.
Then click the next triangle drop-down, Reset All Tools will be there.

Look at the 'lock:' option on layer listing at the top, below the Layer Blend modes dropdown. The first option after 'lock:' is Lock transparent pixels, and the next is lock image pixels -- make sure they are not activated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I have photoshop cs3, also, I have a canon 40d. I would like to know in color settings under working spaces, is it okay to use the camera Srgb profile or Adobe Rgb 1998?.

Gerald Sr.
In this tutorial Natalia explains about using different color settings in Camera Raw. Pretty cool info.

https://www.digitalphotoshopretouchi...beauty-retouch
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software