RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

a couple of fractal type links

Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 AM

a couple of fractal type links

Just recently i have seen these mentioned a lot and thought i would pass them on, They are free ( for now )

Colarity
I have tried this one and quite enjoyed it,

Incendia I havent tried this one as you need a 3d graphic card and i assume i havent got one ( must check though

any one else have any links then please add them

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM

Re: a couple of fractal type links

palms, where did you see a requirement of a 3d vid card?

and thanks! these look interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Under requirements.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM

ok, i tried incendia. pretty cool. it's fairly intuitive and works without any other 3d programs. i think this one has some pretty good potential. it installed without a hitch on my win7, 64bit system and worked fine on the first run. there's lots of buttons and switches, you can save your favorite parameters and, though i didnt try it, i believe you can save off your renditions. the whole is like a mini-3d program but for creating some fractals. you can spin them and roll them and look at them like with any 3d program. pretty cool
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
ok, i tried incendia. pretty cool. it's fairly intuitive and works without any other 3d programs. i think this one has some pretty good potential. it installed without a hitch on my win7, 64bit system and worked fine on the first run. there's lots of buttons and switches, you can save your favorite parameters and, though i didnt try it, i believe you can save off your renditions. the whole is like a mini-3d program but for creating some fractals. you can spin them and roll them and look at them like with any 3d program. pretty cool
I am really jealous now, sounds like real fun, Looking at some of the renditions people have are spectacular

Just a note on Colarity i found it faster and not such a pc hog as other fractal generators ( but plenty of dials and big words )

Palms

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Patron

How old is your system Palms. Most modern PCs younger then 3 years old support 3D and GPU excellerations. Even AND supports SSE2 support. I'm using a motherboard with onboard Video based on NVidia's 6150se. I'm downloading it now. If it runs fine, I'll post a sample and let you know. My PC's 2008 Vintage (barebones) AMD64 by the way.

Well, decided to not post until after I ran it. Not bad (little slow, but faster then some of the other fractal programs that I've played with; supports multi-processor too which is cool). Attached is sample that I let run for around a minute (resized down from 2048x2048 to 1000x1000). Go ahead and give it a try I say Palms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1.jpg (199.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Patron

Why not another; forgot to drop the render size (2048x2048 still). Let this one run for aroun 3 to 5 minutes before saving it. Really like this one Palms and do appreciate that you passed this link to us. I call this one a simulated virus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simulated_virus.jpg (196.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 AM

they are cool Lyle and can see why you named the second one simulated virus, was that colarity or incendia ? you used

my pc is about 3 years old so i will have to look into the video card thingy

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Incendia runs on very low specs system, well underneath what you'd expect when you view the website. I think all it needs is an OpenGL capable graphic card and they all are AFAIK even very old ones. I think when I first installed version 1.3 some time ago I had only an old Geforce 2 MX 400 and it did run without problems. As for the operating system, it runs fine on my Windows Millennium system so don't be shy Palms and install that, it'll run on your system without problems I guess. The new version 1.4 has a superb 3D export feature btw, quite a bit of alearning curve to get to grip to all the this program can do though but there a solid online documentation.

Btw I thought I'd mention two other IMO superb free 3D fractal software as you all seem interested in that stuff, Mandelbulb 3D and Mandelbulber.

You can grab Mandelbulb 3D on the Fractal Forums: http://www.fractalforums.com/index.p...a=view;down=13

One of the first render I made with it and posted there under the "blob" moniker got some elogious praise on a fractal blog (shameless self-promotion): http://orbittrap.ca/?p=1379

Mandelbulber can be downloaded from Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/ and I recommend you watch the amazing videos the guy who wrote it makes with it: http://www.youtube.com/user/xlace#p/a

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
they are cool Lyle and can see why you named the second one simulated virus, was that colarity or incendia ? you used

my pc is about 3 years old so i will have to look into the video card thingy

Palms
Incendia Palms. I bet your PC is more then adequate to run this program. Still requires processing time (the simulated virus I ran for around 5 minutes before exporting the png file and then resized in GIMP (what else; lol). I haven't played with the size settings, but if I could choose something smaller then 2048x2048 (apparently the default dims), the processing would probably be a lot faster.

To secretagents, I played with Mandelbulber a few months back but it crashed. They might have fixed it since I believe at least 2 additional updates occurred since I last tried it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software