RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

using student version for paid work

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM

using student version for paid work

I suspect I know the answer, but thought I would ask anyway...just in case.
I have a student in my family and I suppose I can get CS5 with a student discount....any chance that software could be used for paid work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Patron

Re: using student version for paid work

Pavel, technically, there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. However, it would be in breach of the S/W license agreement, and would also be morally wrong. This begs the following question: If you used the student version at this time, after you have generated some income, will you use some of it to purchase a regular license?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Murray,
Thank you. To clarify I was not trying to find a way around, I wasn't sure about the wording of the student license agreement, although, I did suspect that it could not be used for commercial work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Since CS5 there's no "Education" version anymore which you could have used commercially, but it's all the "Student and Teacher" version.
It allows commercial usage though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.
But of course those licenses are just for students and teachers and may not be transfered, so you're not allowed to ask anybody else to buy it for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Jonas, thank you for the comprehensive answer, should remember next time to go straight to Adobe's site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Murray,
I probably should clarify there I am on this a bit more.
Photoshop is rather a hobby, not a full time occupation; I do very occasional work; but if I factor everything in I'm in red; no chance I could justify an expense of close to $2000 (I actually need design suite). I am not looking to cheat the system, however, if I can get the software at better price while remaining withing the boundaries of the user agreement I will take it. Apparently student and teacher version is licensed to a particular person. I will have to see if I want to expand my part time studies to qualify.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Patron

Jonas is right. Adobe stopped producing a special education version and there is only one version for everyone which makes a lot of sense. The only differentiation is now a price discount which is offered to eligible students, teachers, & institutions. The End User License Agreement is same for everyone so there are no restrictions. People don't remain students forever and upgrades do not qualify for educational discount, so I can see how Adobe is happy.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software