RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Backup software for PC

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Backup software for PC

Hi,
Can somebody please suggest a reliable third party backup software for PC (Win 7). My own experience goes back to Win 95 on Me; after that I try to avoid using Win utilities...
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Janitor

Re: Backup software for PC

I like Genie Backup Manager Pro. It has every feature I've heard of, including disaster recovery, and it's backup file format is just renamed zip files. You can open them with any zip program even if you don't have the backup software installed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Patron

Pavel, you did not mention if you are looking to backup files & data & settings, or backup your entire Windows Operating System as well.
Doug, unless something has changed, the Genie Manager Pro manual stated up front that GM was not intended to recover from a complete system failure and that Windows OS needed to be installed before GM could restore all the preferences and settings.
If you are looking for something that will restore the OS from a fatal crash, I suggest checking out either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image 2011.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Janitor

GM Pro has full disaster recovery, OS and all. It makes bootable DVDs, I've done it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Patron

Hi Doug, OK, I found the info at a 3rd party review site. The Disaster Recovery will restore a Windows OS but it does so differently from Image technology. It is slower but works and in the end there is not much difference.
Tks & regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 01-19-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Thank you. I am only interested in backing up data, reinstalling OS in not a problem...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Patron

Pavel, can you describe your backup requirements / strategy. Depending on your needs, S/W suggested would be different as would be the S/W cost. There are many freeware programs available, there are often free backup s/w included when you buy backup drives, like Western Digital My Book series, and then there are very sophisticated backup programs. The last category tend to compress and encapsulate backups in proprietary file formats. This makes browsing and restoration more complicated.
After a lot of experimention including some unfortunate experiences I settled on a different scheme than most people. I segregate my OS from all of my data files, images, docs, etc either on a partitioned drive and/or multiple physical drives. I image my OS which takes about 10 mins. All other drives and partions are backed up to backup drives using a free utility that creates "one-way" mirrored / synchronized backups.
The imaging means if my OS encounters a fatal crash or infection, I can be back up 100% in 15 minutes instead of days. The mirroring backup is quite fast as it only backs up files that have been added or changed and it removes files deleted on my source drives.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

As of 1/19/2011: 25% off on the $49.95 price of Genie Backup Manager Home, as well as all the other products offered here: http://www.genie9.com/

The discount code is on the home page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Danny, Murray, thank you.
I have i5 Win 7 system with two hard drives, one is used for OS/software/data second strictly for back-up. In addition I have a second computer on the network, I use one of the hard drives for secondary backup. Not the most efficient setup, in the future I will put in a third hard drive for data, at that point I may as well get a network hard drive that come with it's own backup software. So far all I've done was good old copy/paste exercise that gets a bit award with close to 500Gb of data. I don't think I ever had fatal OS crush, with stable OS like XP or Win 7 IMHO this is a low probability event, but this depends on software. I prefer to wipe hard drive clean and top reinstall OS and software every half a year or so, this is a bit involved, but otherwise registry gets too big and slows down computer considerably.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Patron

Pavel, I have never had a s/w related crash but hard drives are mechanical and they can only spin so many rotations before they fail. If you are not worried about systen restoration, there are a large numebr of backup programs. I suggest you take a look at a program called SyncBack found here http://2brightsparks.com/ They have 3 versions, one of which is 100% free and will likely serve your needs. No encapsulation, no encryption, but it has lots of options to do plain backup, mirror or synchronized backup. It can be set to run automatically or manually.
But there are lots of other sophisticated products like the one Doug has recommended.
Regards, Murray
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software