RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Uprezzing CS5 vs Plug ins

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Patron

Re: Uprezzing CS5 vs Plug ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Tony, of course PC is a shortcut for PERSONAL COMPUTER

I use to work on LINUX, WINDOWS and MAC platforms so I think I know what I am talking about.....
Hi creativeretouch, do I detect a hint of annoyance in your response?

Please understand that my replies relating to the Mac were largely made 'tongue in cheek' the reference to it being a PC a particular point (guaranteed to upset Mac users ) and no offence intended to either you or others - hopefully the number of smilies should have hinted at this.

There is no reason for me to doubt that you know what you are talking about. Like you I have worked with Unix and Windows platforms and have been employed in the analogue and digital imaging industry even to the extent of advising IT depts on use of digital imaging products over WAN.

Quote:
Sorry, I wanted to say that CS3 is still fast enough to work with me together (English is not my first language) and I do not have to wait too much ... compare to the computer with 64 Mb of RAM in the ancient time ...
I am sure that CS3 does the job you want it to with the speed you need and in that case why waste time and money for an uneccessary upgrade. My first home computer was fitted with 2 KB of RAM and 8 KB of ROM which I upgraded to the maximum of 12 KB (buying at the time individual and expensive chips) - needless to say graphics capability were the stuff of wild imagination and dreams at that time (only the early 80's). Amazing how far we have come in such a relatively short time.

I had no idea from your writing that English is not your first language so maybe if my post did upset you a little I had failed to convey strongly enough the joking nature of my reply to your post. It is too easy to hide behind the anonymity of the net and be rude and obnoxious, something I have no time for and will always try and avoid.

So hopefully this will have cleared up any misunderstanding between us

Regards
Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi Tony, this is the example when you can see that if you are not using your native language you can not say exactly what you wish. Personally I do not mind if anyone is using Windows or Mac. It is a tool and you can choose which you like more. In my first post I wrote that this is my personal feeling - I ment I do not wish to push anyone to agree with me. And to be honest I was thinking if I should use term PC as I am aware of the shortcut but 90% of people use this when talking about Windows so I decided "to go with the main stream" and you see what happened - perhaps is better to follow my own voice next time

Thank you for your post regarding GF & CS5 ...

And hopefully guys in charge will decide to create "a fast & stable core version" for professional users and extended version for others (I mean guys from Adobe & Apple). Or someone new is coming to destroy the picture of the Big Brother?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM

For the tests to be really meaningful, you have to actually print out both versions (PS and 3rd party) even if its only an 8x11 crop of the identical area. There’s stuff you see in PS at high magnification you can see that you can’t on the print. There’s stuff you can’t see that requires a print. I suspect when the rubber meets the road, Photoshop will done the job just fine, especially if the data is properly treated (sharpened etc).
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...he-up-res.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Patron

Andrew, thanks for your input on this. The reminder that for the results to be truly meaningful needs comparison prints made is something that until now I had overlooked and intend to remedy

One thing I have not done yet is 'treat the data properly' as you suggest and so far have not either applied noise reduction or any sharpening (I tend to have a tendency to go OTT with sharpening!). My latest play I cropped a section of an image to 1234x840 @ 240ppi =5.14"x3.5" =5.93MB. Then upsized to 14,400x 9,800 @ 240ppi = 60"x40" = around 800MB (I think). I was very surprised at the time differenc to complete the image adjustment approx. 9 minutes for PR and only about 15 seconds for CS5! Once again the image quality difference was minor CS5 a little softer but easily corrected. Other than that I could discern no particular benefit between images. In addition I suspect that at the correct viewing distance then there would be very likely no difference.

I have to admit that I am one of those 'dreadful photographers' that cannot resist 'pixel peeping' whatever the size of the displayed print . I used to do this in the old days (and even got into an argument with Kodak about display prints once!) - what is it about a leopard not being able to change its spots!

BTW I am not trying to prove or disprove anything about the applications - I merely want to get the best I possibly can out of my images
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
BTW I am not trying to prove or disprove anything about the applications - I merely want to get the best I possibly can out of my images
I agree ... If GIMP would give me better results than Photoshop, I would use GIMP (I like GIMP - but for small files only ...) Or PhotoLine ...

I am sure many people are looking for the best possible result
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software