RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Uprezzing CS5 vs Plug ins

Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Patron

Uprezzing CS5 vs Plug ins

After downloading a trial of Perfect Resize 7 (Originally Genuine Fractals) I have been playing with upsizing image - admittedly to silly sizes!

At first sight I have come to the conclusion that I can see that "the King is not wearing any clothes!". That is to say that so far I cannot see any advantages using this plugin over CS5's standard features. So in this case my further conclusion is that (a) I am either doing something so stupid to make my observations irrelevant or (b) that CS5 really is the 'Bees Knees' in this case and cannot be improved upon.

Therefore I would appreciate others expertise and insight into this.

Background.
First image jpeg (res. cannot remember) but made it pretty big using Perfect Resize (PR) then using same parameters did the same using CS5. The result was a little 'blocky' and more contrast in the PR. The CS5 version to me looked better although slightly softer - increasing the contrast just a touch using levels brought it on a par with PR but still seemed to be sharper/more accurate.

My second test I documented more carefully. Started with a RAW image (approx 4000x3000pix) I duplicated the image and cropped both to 800x600. Then applied PR to one set for 9000x12000pixels at 300 ppi which yielded a print size of 30"x40". Then applied image this took a long time to complete (cup of tea and biscuit!)

CS5 applied the same size crop, pixel count and ppi to end up with the same print size of 30"x40" (Bicubic smoother). The processing time for this so much faster than PR!! Both images ending up around 618Mb.

Examined side by side on screen both images looked very similar. PS version just a little softer which was brought back with a modest application of levels layer. My feeling was/is that there was very little difference, and although I have not tried it yet perhaps there would be some further improvement in PS by trying an incremental increase of image size.

To be fair to PR I have not studied the manual but relied on previous experience of the older versions.

I have to say that I suspect that somewhere my logic and or understanding may have failed me and the fact is that I would have thought by the number of advocates for this product that it must be my failings rather than the application.
I wonder if anyone here with more practical experience of both programs would care to comment and advise on a fair side by side comparison and their own conclusion.

Sorry for such a rambling post

Regards
Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Patron

Re: Uprezzing CS5 vs Plug ins

Tony, PS resizing algorithms have been refined and improved over the years. When you compare performance against Genuine Fractals it is difficult to see a difference especially if you begin with a high res image that already has lots of pixels. GF has been tradionally used to generate huge images - typically measuring many feet on a side. It has been a while since I looked at comparisons but the only visible differences where on huge images and only when you zoomed in 1600%. The results also depended on the image content.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 PM

I use Genuine Fractals 6 together with CS3 and GF is slightly better than Photoshop. Images from Photoshop are softer and noisy and less sharp compare to GF 6. I checked a changelog for new GF (Perfect Resize 7) and there are just a few "cosmetic changes" and one more slider in normal mode but I use GF express anyway.

In my opinion Photoshop CS3 is the last good Photoshop and Snow Leopard is the last good system To be honest I am afraid of the future for professional users ... This is just my feeling and please take it easy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Patron

Murray thanks, I can see your point. I used to use an earlier vs of Genuine Fractals and PS (numbers escape me but I think it may have been even prior to CS) and frankly the difference between PS upsizing and GF was quite marked - GF being much better. Therefore I was a little surprised and somewhat dissappointed that the current Perfect Resize did not have a similar edge. As stated the images from PS marginally better imo (a tiny contrast tweak needed). I think I may have a further play with different image content and massive scaling just to see before I consigned it to the recycle bin.

creativeretouch thank you for your insights. This is interesting as you are using PSCS3 and getting better results with GF than PSCS3. Which is pretty much opposite of what I have found with my limited tests with CS5 - while a little softer in CS5 as I said with a tiny tweak of levels the softness dissapears and I am left with an image sharper than GF with no increase in noise and less blocky/pixelated.

And how very dare you suggest that CS3 and even worse a Mac OS is better than my beloved PC and CS5. I am a PC user through and through and would never bow to the shackles of Apple i.e. unless I can build my own Mac and hack it. Carry on in this manner and I will send my Dad around to sort you out
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
And how very dare you suggest that CS3 and even worse a Mac OS is better than my beloved PC and CS5. I am a PC user through and through and would never bow to the shackles of Apple i.e. unless I can build my own Mac and hack it. Carry on in this manner and I will send my Dad around to sort you out
I have CS3 together with GF and MaskPro - is CS5 really better in the way you will cry you do not have it ???

OK Mac is better than PC as Mac is running on UNIX (or FreeBSD or whatever) based system - I am talking about the "fast food future" - everything is fast and easy ... but who cares about the quality anymore?

I was thinking Photoshop is basically for photographers and 2D artists. If you need video editing software you can choose FinalCut or Avid. If you need 3D software the market is overcrowded as well. Why do I need this within Photoshop if it is not better than dedicated software?

This is the first time I hear that CS5 is better than GF ... but I trust you
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Check out this article and specifically the method on this page: http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...s.html?start=3

I have seen a 40 X 60 print from a Canon 5D ( not the 5D2) using this method and it was very impressive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Patron

I suspect that the post rhetorical - however still want to pass an opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
I have CS3 together with GF and MaskPro - is CS5 really better in the way you will cry you do not have it ???
I think not. While CS5 does have some very appealing features/upgrades to previous versions which may speed up/improve? editing it does not mean that the final results will be any better than any other editing program. Thankfully for Adobe and other developers users tend to suffer from Upgradeitis

OK Mac is better than PC as Mac is running on UNIX (or FreeBSD or whatever) based system
Oh no its not! I suspect you and I both do not want to be drawn into the Mac vs PC wars/debate as it leads nowhere. [Rant on]FFS, both PC and Mac are merely tools - a means to an end. If one was more capable of producing a finer image than the other then any argument would gain weight.[Rant off]
[Pedant on] Anyway, surely a Mac is actually a PC from the original meaning (Personal Computer) so I rest my case [Pedant off]
- I am talking about the "fast food future" - everything is fast and easy ... but who cares about the quality anymore?
I sincerely hope and believe that quality will win through - in the end!

I was thinking Photoshop is basically for photographers and 2D artists. If you need video editing software you can choose FinalCut or Avid. If you need 3D software the market is overcrowded as well. Why do I need this within Photoshop if it is not better than dedicated software?
Seems to me that a lot of software and hardware gets bloated with features that are of little benefit to many users. I have a DSLR which for me has the useless feature of video - if I wanted a video camera I would buy a unit made specifically for the purpose. Similarly dedicated software is usually the best route.

This is the first time I hear that CS5 is better than GF ... but I trust you
Well you should not trust me - just yet! As I said my first conclusions based on very few 'plays' therefore it should be taken with a pinch of salt at this time. I intend to try a few other images just to satisfy myself that first impressions correct. I am open to any suggestions on better test criteria
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Patron

Wolfman, thanks for the link. When I saw the author was Jeff Schewe I knew that this would be worth a read - long article have saved it for later viewing
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 AM

Tony, of course PC is a shortcut for PERSONAL COMPUTER

I use to work on LINUX, WINDOWS and MAC platforms so I think I know what I am talking about.

I work with medium sized files (135 Mb scan for example) and I am still faster than CS3 - depend what you are doing of course ... I think it is up to your workflow and how you are able to organise everything ... I am not running anywhere
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Sorry, I wanted to say that CS3 is still fast enough to work with me together (English is not my first language) and I do not have to wait too much ... compare to the computer with 64 Mb of RAM in the ancient time ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software