RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 AM

Newbie Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Hi there.
I'm still interested. I download Image J standalone. But still someone can fix the problem, I'd like to use it as photoshop plugin....

Thanks in advance.
Have you been able to download and test the forward transform plugin?

Please do.

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazick View Post
What does it mean to use ImageJ?

Is there any video or tutorial showing what you mean?
Have you downloaded and tested my version of the forward transform plugin?

Please do.

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haley View Post
Tony that worked a treat. Many thanks!!!

Is there any video or tutorial showing what you mean?
Have you downloaded and tested my version of the forward transform plugin?

Please do.

RONC

Last edited by Ron Chambers; 10-13-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chambers View Post
I don't totally understand Adobe 32 bit so having a scaling problem.
32-bit mode in Photoshop is HDR. Not just a bit depth increase. Perhaps that is causing confusion?

You can honestly delay or completely skip the 32-bit support if it is giving too much trouble, as I cannot imagine a scenario where you'd have an HDR image where you'd need to tun an FFT transformation...

I didn't have time to test more images, and I'm not home tonight, and at work I'm on OSX, but I will try to squeeze in some more test to see if I can break it as soon as I can.

One thing that I suddenly thought of (but unable to go home and test today)...
Can the filters be run as Smart Filters?

If so, that opens up the possibility to do FFT/IFFT non-destructively. For example you could then do your star-removal as a layer inside the smart object (just set it to blend with Red channel). This would allow easily going back and fine-tuning it later without having to undo. Again, not really that important, but very neat if it works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
32-bit mode in Photoshop is HDR. Not just a bit depth increase. Perhaps that is causing confusion?

You can honestly delay or completely skip the 32-bit support if it is giving too much trouble, as I cannot imagine a scenario where you'd have an HDR image where you'd need to tun an FFT transformation...

I didn't have time to test more images, and I'm not home tonight, and at work I'm on OSX, but I will try to squeeze in some more test to see if I can break it as soon as I can.

One thing that I suddenly thought of (but unable to go home and test today)...
Can the filters be run as Smart Filters?

If so, that opens up the possibility to do FFT/IFFT non-destructively. For example you could then do your star-removal as a layer inside the smart object (just set it to blend with Red channel). This would allow easily going back and fine-tuning it later without having to undo. Again, not really that important, but very neat if it works.
32 bit is solved and necessary for others. I would recommend that when your time permits, you try 32 bit for what you are doing. Going back and forth with 8 or 16 bits just adds noise to the end product.

Again please do your tests when you have time. My weekend is full repairing a laptop for my granddaughter.
I'll look into smart filter coding. Don't know anything other than using it. We could test it. Might be a script could do it also.
Thanks for the help.
RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Patron

Quote:
Ditto,

You able to download and test the plug in?

Cheers,
RONC
Yes I have tested but I only have the one example as posted in this thread #127.

The file is a 8 bit JPEG 5896 x 5820 pixels. Unfortunately I get exactly the same result (solarised look) that I did with the original, whereas ImageJ the conversion is good.

Windows 10 64 bit Photoshop CC 2017.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Yes I have tested but I only have the one example as posted in this thread #127.

The file is a 8 bit JPEG 5896 x 5820 pixels. Unfortunately I get exactly the same result (solarised look) that I did with the original, whereas ImageJ the conversion is good.

Windows 10 64 bit Photoshop CC 2017.
Tony,

I don't think you used what I put up for testing. First there is no inverse and it is called by FFT_RGBrc.8BF so you should have see that in the plug in list.
I downloaded both images from 127. They are smaller than your test but photoshop doesn't like either one of them. I get something about header error.

Let me know what happens when you run the one I put up. It is a Dropbox url.

Cheers,
RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Patron

Quote:
Tony,

I don't think you used what I put up for testing. First there is no inverse and it is called by FFT_RGBrc.8BF so you should have see that in the plug in list.
I downloaded both images from 127. They are smaller than your test but photoshop doesn't like either one of them. I get something about header error.

Let me know what happens when you run the one I put up. It is a Dropbox url.

Cheers,
RONC
Ron
Oops sounds like I had a brain fart. Sorry about that I will look again and make sure. So to be clear you want to check that the FFT that you have done allows the image to go through the procedure up to the point that IFFT applied?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Talking Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Tested the FFTrc plugin again under the following situations:
  • System: Windows 10. x64. RGB. Up-to-date OS and NVIDIA display drivers.
  • Image dimensions: Tested 14146x6496 px as well as several smaller sizes. No problems. (At dimensions over 30000px the plugin is disabled).
  • Bit depths: 8 and 16 bit work great. 32-bit (HDR) fails as already noted.
  • Works for both flattened images, and on normal layers.
  • Layer blending, styles and masks do not interfere with the operation of the plugin.

After some digging I *finally* managed to find something to make it "break":
  • Making a section of the layer partially transparent will change the result of the FFT. The RGB values of the partially transparent area will be too dark in all three channels after the transformation (darkening amount directly relates to amount of transparency). Transparency itself remains unaffected. Example files.

---

Fun experiment: Run the FFT-filter on square images just filled with a pattern fill. Crazy-looking patterns in the FFT ensue!

Last edited by Chain; 10-13-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Update regarding transparency.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Tested the FFTrc plugin again under the following situations:
  • System: Windows 10. x64. RGB. Up-to-date OS and NVIDIA display drivers.
  • Image dimensions: Tested 14146x6496 px as well as several smaller sizes. No problems. (At dimensions over 30000px the plugin is disabled).
  • Bit depths: 8 and 16 bit work great. 32-bit (HDR) fails as already noted.
  • Works for both flattened images, and on normal layers.
  • Layer blending, styles and masks do not interfere with the operation of the plugin.

After some digging I *finally* managed to find something to make it "break":
  • Making a section of the layer partially transparent will change the result of the FFT. The RGB values of the partially transparent area will be too dark in all three channels after the transformation (darkening amount directly relates to amount of transparency). Transparency itself remains unaffected. Example files.

---

Fun experiment: Run the FFT-filter on square images just filled with a pattern fill. Crazy-looking patterns in the FFT ensue!
Chain,
Thanks.
I will reset dimensions to 20,000,000. That should remove the 30,000 limit.
I think that the A channel can't be included while in the transform so will change code to gray out if other than rgb channels.
The transform has a lot of neat properties if you are interested in playing. In a lot of scientific software, the transform is used to apply large filters and is much faster than convolution.

My 10 year old granddaughter's laptop is not working so I have a job. She is frustrated without it. She uses Office and photoshop and Illustrater for school.

Have a great weekend.
RONC
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software