RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort_million View Post
Can someone please help? I've downloaded the plug in, and followed the directions, but I cannot get the plug in to show up in Photoshop CS6 and if I try opening by clicking the .8bf file, I get an error message that says it is the wrong kind of document?
Windows? Placed in the the plugin folder of cs6 for the 8bf files and photoshop cs6 for the dll file?

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2017, 02:41 PM

Hi Ron, thanks, yes Windows 10, I've pasted the 8BF files in the plugins folder and the dll file in the main Photoshop folder. I just don't know what is supposed to happen next. If I open Photoshop and look under the filters tab, I don't see anything, and if I try to click on the 8BF files directly in the folder, it switches to Photoshop with the aforementioned error message. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Ron, thanks, yes Windows 10, I've pasted the 8BF files in the plugins folder and the dll file in the main Photoshop folder. I just don't know what is supposed to happen next. If I open Photoshop and look under the filters tab, I don't see anything, and if I try to click on the 8BF files directly in the folder, it switches to Photoshop with the aforementioned error message. Any ideas?
Did you copy paste or drag and drop? Did you get ask permission to put the files in those folders? Open windows explorer and look to see if files are there. They should show if files are rgb 8 or 16 bit. No other files will work. Filter will be grayed out then.

Let's see what windows explorer tells you.

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2017, 03:08 PM

I copied and pasted. Oh, wait, I just had a breakthrough! When I got to the C/Windows folder, I have two options for Program Files. The first is just "Program Files" and the second is "Program Files (x86). There is an Adobe folder in both of these, and both has a version of Photoshop. I pasted the files in both folders, per the instruction. I think when I open Photoshop from my start tab, it automatically opens the x86 version, which this filter doesn't work with. When I just went into the normal "Program files" and opened the Photoshop.exe there, all of a sudden the FFT filter is showing up under the filter menu and you can actually use it! Thanks for helping me walk through it! Now, I have to figure out how to use the filter now that I have access to it! Thanks again Ron!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I copied and pasted. Oh, wait, I just had a breakthrough! When I got to the C/Windows folder, I have two options for Program Files. The first is just "Program Files" and the second is "Program Files (x86). There is an Adobe folder in both of these, and both has a version of Photoshop. I pasted the files in both folders, per the instruction. I think when I open Photoshop from my start tab, it automatically opens the x86 version, which this filter doesn't work with. When I just went into the normal "Program files" and opened the Photoshop.exe there, all of a sudden the FFT filter is showing up under the filter menu and you can actually use it! Thanks for helping me walk through it! Now, I have to figure out how to use the filter now that I have access to it! Thanks again Ron!
Gr8. There are a couple of tutorials on Fourier transform just a few posts earlier that might help.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Merry christmas!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Happy New Year

I have placed a new version of the 2D Fourier transform plugin up for your perusal at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sg4wa4x3cc...n2018.zip?dl=0 . Windows 7-10 --- x64only --- Photoshop CS6-CC(needs testing as I only have CC2018).

Will work with old FFT_RGB present. Place in PC photoshop plugin folder same as before. LibfftwXXX file from before needs to be in same folder as photoshop.exe. Plugin shows in Filters/RONC 2018/ .

One plugin does both forward and inverse transform. You select whether Forward or Inverse.

Plugin averages the RGB channels for the starting point. If you prefer something other than the straight average, perform it on the input.

Will notice that forward transform, the blue channel contains the average of the RGB channels rather than the constant blue.

Still limited to 30000 pixels in either direction.

Should work on 8, 16, and 32 Bit Photoshop inputs. The 8 and 16 add some background noise because of roundoff of integer values whereas the 32 Bit floating point adds very little to none. Background noise level is also dependent on image size - reason for 30000 pixel limit as I try to suppress noise for 8 and 16 bit images.

Haven't figured how to work with smart layers so haven't tried.

Seems to work in script but needs simple tests from you.

Please keep me informed of both successes and failures.

I believe that none of the previous outputs from the FFT_RGB plugins (FFT and iFFT) are really good. Test by doing forward followed by inverse transform and subtract the output from the starting image. If all vales near zero, the run good.

Need your help please.

CHEERS,

RONC

Last edited by Ron Chambers; 01-02-2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: My short attention span
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Great update!

You appear to have solved the long-lasting problem of certain image dimensions returning a blank/white red channel!
A lot of people struggling with that since the beginning of time.

On 8-bit the difference between before/after due to rounding errors is large enough to be visible (like always). At 16-bit it's not really visible to the naked eye. So I'd recommend people run this at 16-bit.

Bug:

Launching the filter and clicking [Cancel] (instead of Yes/No) crashes Photoshop (Win 10, CC2018). I can reproduce this reliably on my machine at least.

Suggestion:

Instead of a channel average, I would suggest running it on the "luminosity" of the image (a weighted average). The channels are weighted to better preserve the brightness of the various colors. As a bonus it also helps suppress the influence of color noise - including from JPEG compression. It also means you can blend back in the colors afterwards using the Color blending mode (and have the perceived brightness remain intact).

The simplified formula Photoshop uses for "Luminosity" is simply "0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B" and doesn't take into account anything else at all. So should be simple to implement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Version with Luminance rather than straight average. Already had code in place but haven't figure dialog out so using messages with Y/N/C.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lux3rxw4js...n2018.zip?dl=0

I don't get the crash for Cancel. Try this version

You like blue channel for IDing image you have? I'm trying to figure how to change label in History Palette so you can further ID.

CHEERS,
RONC

Last edited by Ron Chambers; 01-02-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Have you tried 32 bit data into transform? No noticeable noise and same run time for 8, 16, or 32 bit as all are 32 float transform.

Look for very high spatial frequency showing in output please. Sometimes Nyquist noise is a problem but haven't seen on my tests.

RONC
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software