RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Old 01-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

It's definitely Luminosity now. Matches what I get from the Photoshop blending mode!

I figured out the crash-on-cancel. I had a msvcp100.dll file in the Plug-ins folder (I don't remember how it got there). Removing that file resolved the crash.

I like the idea of using the Blue channel for something. A copy of the original for reference was a good idea.

---

So a reminder to anyone stumbling on this thread, here is how to install the current FFT/IFFT plugin:

1. Place libfftwx64_3-3.dll in your Photoshop-folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\).
2. Place Ft_IFt.8bf in your Plug-ins-folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Plug-ins).

(Note: What I link here are the current at this time, look later in the thread for updates!).

EDIT: Download link removed. New version is now HERE.

Last edited by Chain; 03-03-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM

For all that are getting a copy of this plugin, there is an expiration date set in each version but will vary by computer. Because I rewrote this plugin, I have the option to charge for it. The more help from you that have copy the better the chances are that I will make it free. I think with as many takers, two helping doesn't look good for free plugin.

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM

At this point I am very happy with the core functionality. From this point on it's polish.

To make it more user-friendly, here are the points I see for future improvement (some are trivial, some very hard):

1. Make the dialog box prettier.
2. Find a way to get rid of the edge artifacts.
3. Include the .dll in the zip-file.
4. Include a readme.txt in the zip-file (installation instructions, license info, where to launch the filter, recommendations).
5. Is it possible to internally do the math in 16-bit when processing an 8-bit image to reduce rounding errors? Or is it primarily when it is stored as channels in the 8-bit file between the FFT and IFFT processes that the loss happens? Either way I would recommend in the readme to work in 16-bit mode.
6. Look at workflows for speeding up the process of painting over the stars, and handling color images (three channels processed separately). This might be outside the scope of the basic plugin, and could possibly be handled using a set of actions (I might try to make some).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:21 PM

Newbie Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
At this point I am very happy with the core functionality. From this point on it's polish.

To make it more user-friendly, here are the points I see for future improvement (some are trivial, some very hard):

1. Make the dialog box prettier.
2. Find a way to get rid of the edge artifacts.
3. Include the .dll in the zip-file.
4. Include a readme.txt in the zip-file (installation instructions, license info, where to launch the filter, recommendations).
5. Is it possible to internally do the math in 16-bit when processing an 8-bit image to reduce rounding errors? Or is it primarily when it is stored as channels in the 8-bit file between the FFT and IFFT processes that the loss happens? Either way I would recommend in the readme to work in 16-bit mode.
6. Look at workflows for speeding up the process of painting over the stars, and handling color images (three channels processed separately). This might be outside the scope of the basic plugin, and could possibly be handled using a set of actions (I might try to make some).
1 ok
2 any suggestions?
3 and 4 on next release
5 noise is caused going to 8 or 16 bit between the transforms. Use 32 bit as it costs less cpu but a little higher in memory.
6 I figure either an action or a script will allow for all channels. Is that best or should we build model of pimples noise and subtract it from each channel in some optimum way? I don't know what you are doing now. Will this version change that method? Is the method documented?

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Edge artifacts might be reduced by extending (padding) the canvas by say 50 pixels in horizontal and vertical directions before entering the FOURIER transform suite. The padding is done using Image>Canvas Resize, add pad value to each number, set Anchor to upper left corner, and then Pad the canvas with gray or a color related to majority of the image. After inverse transforming, crop back to the initial width and height using the crop tool or Image>Canvas Resize. Padding on one set of edges is the same as padding with 25 on each edge as the algorithm is circular symmetric.

Have a try. Might need more than 50 pixels.

Should do a good job and can be built into script with the forward transform.

RONC

Last edited by Ron Chambers; 01-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM

What do you think of starting a new thread just for this version?

RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Thumbs up Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Plugin seems to work fine in an Action or a Script. I might have to trim the title but will see. BTW I had a mixture of the title's spelling in first go. It should be Ft_iFt as in Fourier transform___inverse Fourier transform.

Please let me know about both successful and disastrous runs of the plugin.

CHEERS,
RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM

> What do you think of starting a new thread just for this version?

I have no strong feelings one way or another, but it is good if this thread is up-to-date with the latest versions imo. as this is the thread that people usually find I think.

> Edge artifacts

Padding (with 50% gray or average?) before the forward transform helps a lot with the edge artifacts. 50 seems to be just enough on my test at least. You get rid of the lines, although you get some leftover impression from the removed pattern (but that might not be possible to avoid).

> I figure either an action or a script will allow for all channels. Is that best or should we build model of pimples noise and subtract it from each channel in some optimum way? I don't know what you are doing now. Will this version change that method? Is the method documented?

Right now there is no documented way that I use. I would either just use FFT on the luminosity, and just use blur on the color information to save time, or I would separate each channel to a separate layer/file and do them one by one.

I find that if you want the dots you paint in to remain as a separate layer (so it's easier to tweak it) you can add a channel mixer (monochrome +100 red) then use a layer set to R only and paint on that. To test how it looks, turn of the channel mixer, merge visible to a new layer on top, and run inverse on that. If unhappy, remove that layer, and keep editing. And you can do just the top half, then duplicate+rotate to cover the bottom half (cuts amount of work in half).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
> What do you think of starting a new thread just for this version?

I have no strong feelings one way or another, but it is good if this thread is up-to-date with the latest versions imo. as this is the thread that people usually find I think.

> Edge artifacts

Padding (with 50% gray or average?) before the forward transform helps a lot with the edge artifacts. 50 seems to be just enough on my test at least. You get rid of the lines, although you get some leftover impression from the removed pattern (but that might not be possible to avoid).

> I figure either an action or a script will allow for all channels. Is that best or should we build model of pimples noise and subtract it from each channel in some optimum way? I don't know what you are doing now. Will this version change that method? Is the method documented?

Right now there is no documented way that I use. I would either just use FFT on the luminosity, and just use blur on the color information to save time, or I would separate each channel to a separate layer/file and do them one by one.

I find that if you want the dots you paint in to remain as a separate layer (so it's easier to tweak it) you can add a channel mixer (monochrome +100 red) then use a layer set to R only and paint on that. To test how it looks, turn of the channel mixer, merge visible to a new layer on top, and run inverse on that. If unhappy, remove that layer, and keep editing. And you can do just the top half, then duplicate+rotate to cover the bottom half (cuts amount of work in half).
Chain,
Thanks for the response.
Let me ask a few questions first. Is there a way to place the zip file with the Fourier plugin on the web site so that only your logged in membership can download load it? If so how do we do it? If not limiting who grabs the file then. I don't want to host the file forever as my forever is not far away.
About starting a new thread, I was thinking of having the download address in message one. It can also be in this thread but the user needs to search for it. I won't be looking for it. For a short time, I hope to get some of you able to see it's power and document it. I plan on giving my code to git as open source and then they can handle it.

Using 50 pixels for padding was a value that worked on my tests. You can do whatever size will do what you want. Do you paint or zero the location? I tried the spot fill with PS doing a fill and that looked good on the red channel but the green messed up too. Never figured what to do with it. If you punch a hole in the red, it needs padding too but green mess will still make it look bad.

I have a couple of options in the plugin that I'll roll out if I can get the dialog prettier.

I think right now you have a good plugin. I'm working on image size greater than 30000 pixels and the dialog and the plugin should be a keeper.

Cheers,
RONC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM

> Do you paint or zero the location?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this? Anyway, what I do is just paint over the little "stars" with a round black brush (on the red channel). Click, click, click, click, click...

> I tried the spot fill with PS doing a fill and that looked good on the red channel but the green messed up too.

Sorry, again I'm not 100% following the exact steps you are performing here?

---

I'm testing now to attach a zip file (with the beta plugin) to this post to see if that makes it members-only.

I could also mirror/host the file, I've hosted the previous one for ages anyway. And it's good to have a backup host in case one goes down.

---

EDIT: Excellent. By attaching the zip-file of the plugin to the message you can make it require you to be logged in to download!

I suggest the following when the plugin is ready(ish):

1. Start a new thread. Attach the files to the first post.
2. I make the 2nd post - just blank to reserve it for future updates (if I make any actions etc. that can go along with the plugin without requiring you to update main post).
2. Add a final post to this thread with a HUGE link to the new thread.
3. In a reply to the new thread I can, after a while, post a mirror download link for the files (as a backup in case something happens to them).
4. In the old download I'm hosting I will edit the zip file to include a link to the new thread and recommend people go there for a better/new version.
5. In this old thread, edit the posts that links to the various beta versions and point them to the new thread.

EDIT: Download link removed. New version is now HERE.

Last edited by Chain; 03-03-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Tested attachment
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software