RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Software (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/)
-   -   Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/33084-here-fft-64-bit-photoshop.html)

Cadencia 04-25-2011 03:16 AM

Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

I have modified Alex Chirikov's FFT routines to run in 64 bit Photoshop, and process 16 bit images. The software may be downloaded from:
http://www.rognemedia.no/diverse/FFT.zip

I make no promises, but would appreciate feedback.

You can process either 8 or 16 bit images in either 32 bit or 64 bit photoshop.

There are no image processing enhancements except as noted above. However, the buffer usage has been improved, and there is no limit on image size other than the available RAM in your PC. Note - not Mac. If someone will lend me a Mac with Photoshop installed, I'll make it go, but I don't have such a thing myself.

The Chirokov code was available in the public domain with no specific license attached. However, it makes use of the fftw library, which is published under the GNU license, which inter alia provides that any software using it must also be published under the GNU. This means you must publish the source, and it must be free.

* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
* GNU General Public License for more details.

Doug Nelson 04-25-2011 11:41 AM

Re: Here is FFT for 64 bit photoshop

This is very interesting. Did Chirikov give permission to modify his code?

I've been eager to see a crossplatform FFT plugin. Perhaps you wouldn't need full access to a Mac, but could work on someone else's Mac remotely using LogMeIn Ignition or some other similar remote app?

Tony W 04-25-2011 12:38 PM

Hopefully the code is now in the public domain and may be freely modified?

Having to go to 32bit CS5 to use the filter has been a pain. Have downloaded and it runs as promised on Win 7 64 bit - only with a quick try so far.

Thank you for this and welcome to the forum :)

skydog 04-25-2011 05:31 PM

thank you...can't wait to try it.

Der_W 04-26-2011 03:26 AM

Great plugin, finally a 64bit compatible FFT filter :-)!

Der_W 05-24-2011 04:47 AM

Hi Cadencia,

hope you're still reading this thread :-)!

I've been playing a little more with the FFT filter you provided lately and found two little bugs.

The first is that converting images that have more than a total of around 130000 pixels will do a wrong transformation and the inverse transformation will be an almost white image (the red channel is completely white in this transformation).
Images with less than 1300000 pixels work just fine though :-).

Also the filter won't work with Smart Objects, it turns out that when I create a new stamp, convert it to a smart object, run the IFFT filter on it, edit the smart object, and run the FFT filter inside it, the result in the main document will be a rather dark image with lots of transparency all over the place.
This is just a minor problem, the first is way more important imo, but still it'd be nice to have the ability to work with Smart Objects.

Thanks again for your great plugin, I really appreciate it!
Keep up the good work!

Cadencia 05-24-2011 06:19 AM

Correct, it won't work with smart objects - they're quite complicated for a filter to cope with. Secondly, there is no artificial limit on images size, except for your RAM size. Filters run in the bit of RAM you allow Photoshop NOT to use - i.e. they are not Photoshop. You need work space of about 8 times the megapixels is bytes, but a limit of 1.3 megapixels is a bit low. Did you leave a zero off? I have processed 60 megapixel images with no problem.

Der_W 05-24-2011 08:18 AM

Okay, Smart Objects aren't that important anyways :-).

My RAM was set to 71% (1275MB left).
I'll try a lower setting :-).

The same when I set the available RAM lower (even if set to 3% which seems to be the lowest on my system) :-(.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with x64 version of Photoshop btw. if that matters?

Chain 05-24-2011 09:54 AM

Great! Gotta download this and have a go when I get home :)

Cadencia 05-24-2011 06:04 PM

Well, I guess that's a limitation, then. I made no attempt to change the actual workings of the original filter, just made it run in the 64-bit environment. My system is Windows 7 x64, 12GB RAM, Photoshop CS5 64-bit. If I get the time, I may have a look at this limit to see where it clicks in. But, as I said, on my system it processes images larger than your test case, so it's obviously a moveable feast.

Der_W 05-24-2011 06:45 PM

Okay, thanks for your support :-).

I'll just work with cropped lower size images then and stitch them afterwards. Not the greatest way to deal with problems, but as long as it works, I'm fine with it :-).

creeduk 06-02-2011 11:38 AM

Great I had stopped using a lot of old filters/plugins to prevent having to drop out of 64bit so this helps just had a bunch of scans with paper texture and now I will try FFT (not used it for ages) rather than noise removal :)

skydog 06-02-2011 08:10 PM

I dropped the filters in my filter folder but I see nothing when I I go to filters in CS5. Am I putting these items in the wrong location?

Cadencia 06-02-2011 09:17 PM

They are plug-ins, not filters. PS should find them if they are in the search path - and you should see them listed in help->about Plugin. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

skydog 06-03-2011 05:44 AM

I put moved them into the plug in folder...but again they are not showing up when I choose filters in CS5.

Chain 06-03-2011 06:01 AM

In the zip-file there is a readme that tells you where to put the different files.

There are different files/folders for 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop. Also, it's not only the filter-files, but also a dll-file that should be placed in the Photoshop directory/directories. See the readme.

Cadencia 06-03-2011 05:32 PM

skydog, you're not giving us much information to help you with. Chain is on the right track, however. Always pays to read the readme. I have tested this only under windows 7, but in both 32-bit and 64-bit environments, and CS4 and CS5. If you put the plug-in into the plug-in folder of the version of Photoshop you are using, it will be found, and if you put the wrong version in, or omit the dll, you will be warned. So - in the absence of any warning, the only two possible errors that I can imagine are that you are opening a different version of Photoshop from the one whose plug-in folder you are putting the filters into, OR you are using a Mac, in which case, all bets are off.

skydog 06-03-2011 06:42 PM

I always read the "readme". I have windows 7. I had the original version..it installed and worked fine. I put the files in the plugin folder along with the dll. Again I see nothing when I startup CS5 and go to filters. Not blaming the program...I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...just haven't figured it out...just looking for some ideas.

Chain 06-04-2011 03:46 AM

Have you tried removing the old plugin first? Might be a conflict?

If you use 64-bit Photoshop CS5:
  1. Copy the .8bf-files from "\bin\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins"
  2. Copy libfftwx64_3-3.dll from "\bin\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)"

If you use 32-bit Photoshop CS5:
  1. Copy the .8bf-files from "\bin\x86" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins"
  2. Copy libfftw3-3.dll from "\bin\x86" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5"

If this does not work, the readme suggests trying to copy the msvc*.dll-files to your C:\Windows\System32 folder (but you should already have them).

marc68 06-22-2011 09:09 AM

Hi Cadencia,

your work is impressive, thank you. :)

But i have to agree with "Der_W"... I have the same probs - the red channel is completely white. Do you have a solution for that? I have PS CS3 32 bit on a Win 7 64bit, installation without probs, old Plugin removed - and i have 6 GB of RAM. So this should be not the problem?!

The picture i use has only 15MP 16bit rgb... was converted from 16bit grey bw- image...

At the moment, after FFT the "stars" and "stripes" are extremly lossy in contrast, a good removing/detcting is nearly impossible - i think that is a prob oft the white red channel...

If anybody knows a solution, please help.

Regards,

videosean 10-21-2011 06:31 AM

Another one here with empty red channel (all white) after FFT is applied. Here are my steps to make it happen:

1, scan photo (5x7 inch @ 1200 dpi) to .tif file
2, open in photoshop
3, crop image to remove borders that I don't want (and may be causing another problem in FFT)
4, Run FFT = empty red channel.

If I do not crop the image I scanned I can run this FFT filter and get a normal red channel.

Scanned image details:
original scan is 8515 x 6127 pixels, the cropped image is 7971 x 5634 pixels, 8bit rgb all the way.

I tried an image resize and canvas resize after cropping to get pixel dimensions divisible by 8 and that did not help either - still get empty red channel with this FFT filter... not sure why i thought that might make a difference but tried it.

So it looks like if I want to apply this FFT filter to a cropped version of this image I will have to scan it cropped tighter.

http://i.imgur.com/QDbq9.png - this is what I get if I run FFT (and get a good red channel), make no changes, then run IFFT. I was thinking maybe the border is the problem here but cropping introduces the bad red channel problem :/

*edit

rescanned cropped tighter, 8030 x 5642 pixels, 8bit rgb, empty red channel when doing FFT :(

curtistealer 04-01-2012 09:07 PM

Does anyone has a copy for this zip file? The link is dead for now..
Please help me out.

charales1969 04-11-2012 06:00 AM

Hi,

I'm using Photoshop CS5 Extended on a Mac Pro with OSX 10.6.8

I downloaded the files and copied the "DetailMeasure.plugin", the "FFT.plugin" and the IFFT.plugin" files to the Aplications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins folder but I don't see them whe I open Photoshop.
Am I missing an installation step or doing something wrong?

Thank you

Chain 04-11-2012 07:53 AM

The plugin was Windows only unfortunately (the original poster did not have access to a mac so he could not try to make it compatible).

Bogart's Hat 09-23-2012 04:10 PM

I came across this thread while searching for a 64-bit FFT plug-in for CS5. It appears that there is one, but the link in the first post is dead. Chain (or anybody who has downloaded it), how can I get a copy?

Cadencia 09-24-2012 03:03 AM

OK. Sorry, the original link had to be removed because of lack of space.

I have planted it in dropbox here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39521592/FFT.zip

Regards
Phil

Chain 09-24-2012 11:03 AM

Here, I uploaded my copy to my own site as a mirror.
Don't want this excellent plugin to disappear off the net! :)

www.rognemedia.no/diverse/FFT.zip

Here are two animated gifs showing how useful it can be:
http://www.rognemedia.no/pswishes/wp...012/06/FFT.gif (remove paper texture)
http://www.rognemedia.no/pswishes/wp...trumUR1960.gif (remove raster pattern)

Cheehad 11-09-2012 04:34 AM

Chain, you are a lifesaver ! Thank you ! :)

bernardc 11-26-2012 10:49 PM

Skydog,
Quote:

I put the files in the plugin folder along with the dll.
You're supposed to put the dll in the Photoshop root folder, not in the plugin folder.

I'm getting the red-channel-white problem also.

Eurodriver 7 02-18-2013 09:45 AM

I have Photoshop CS5 running on an iMac - I'd be happy to lend it to you to help develop an FFT that works on the Mac. Where are you based?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadencia (Post 289980)
I have modified Alex Chirikov's FFT routines to run in 64 bit Photoshop, and process 16 bit images. The software may be downloaded from:
http://www.mdr.co.nz/Fourier%20Transformation.zip

I make no promises, but would appreciate feedback.

You can process either 8 or 16 bit images in either 32 bit or 64 bit photoshop.

There are no image processing enhancements except as noted above. However, the buffer usage has been improved, and there is no limit on image size other than the available RAM in your PC. Note - not Mac. If someone will lend me a Mac with Photoshop installed, I'll make it go, but I don't have such a thing myself.

The Chirokov code was available in the public domain with no specific license attached. However, it makes use of the fftw library, which is published under the GNU license, which inter alia provides that any software using it must also be published under the GNU. This means you must publish the source, and it must be free.

* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
* GNU General Public License for more details.

badflame 04-23-2013 10:50 AM

Hi, thanks a lot for this post.

I have a question. What is the real maximum size to use this pluggin?

Because if I try to apply in an image of 2895x4094, the RED channel resultant is a completely white image. However the same image resized to 2121x3000 works fine.

Thanks.

MRC41 05-03-2013 10:27 PM

HELP!!
I downloaded the FFT and IFFT from Cendcia's "dropbox" and after reading the brief instructions and trying several times to install for Photoshop 64, I got the filter to appear on the list but greyed out, so it doesnt run. I also noticed that I got a missing MSVCR100D.dll error, which I have been able to fix. I have unsuccessfully tried various things in order to fix the problem. The instructions say that if the filter does not run, to copy the enclosed files to the system folder. I don't understand what to do. Could someone please be more specific? The downloaded zip file contains quite a few files in several folders and sub-folders. Which to move? Also which system folder? there is windows\system and also windows\system32...

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Chain 06-10-2013 10:32 AM

I've already posted clear instructions as well as a download mirror (look on the previous page). Hope this helps.

(Replace CS5 with whatever version you have).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chain (Post 292274)

If you use 64-bit Photoshop CS5:
  1. Copy the .8bf-files from "\bin\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins"
  2. Copy libfftwx64_3-3.dll from "\bin\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)"

If you use 32-bit Photoshop CS5:
  1. Copy the .8bf-files from "\bin\x86" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins"
  2. Copy libfftw3-3.dll from "\bin\x86" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5"

If this does not work, the readme suggests trying to copy the msvc*.dll-files to your C:\Windows\System32 folder (but you should already have them).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chain (Post 311209)
Here, I uploaded my copy to my own site as a mirror.
Don't want this excellent plugin to disappear off the net! :)

www.rognemedia.no/diverse/FFT.zip

Here are two animated gifs showing how useful it can be:
http://www.rognemedia.no/pswishes/wp...012/06/FFT.gif (remove paper texture)
http://www.rognemedia.no/pswishes/wp...trumUR1960.gif (remove raster pattern)

brjohan 06-13-2013 05:11 AM

It looks like the libfftw3-3.dll is missing in the .zip-file (as downloaded from the Dropboxlocation). Where can it be found?

Chain 06-13-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjohan (Post 316965)
It looks like the libfftw3-3.dll is missing in the .zip-file (as downloaded from the Dropboxlocation). Where can it be found?

Download from my mirror... Download link is in the post above the one you just posted...

SoYman 06-21-2013 11:27 AM

Since i had written about 600 words describing my problem in a semi-articulate manner and the page decided i was not logged in so it vanished i wil now write a new version fueled by pure anger.

I had red channel problem, msvc fiddle fixed it.

still have some problem, FT not doing proper FT or i do something worng?

here is example

first image is original. second is duplicated layer after FFT+IFFT
third is background after FFT+IFFT second and third almost identical but inverted???

thank you and sorry for worst text ever

Tony W 06-21-2013 11:48 AM

It looks like you are doing it wrong and the second image after FFT+IFFT is showing the signs of it not being done on a flattened (background) layer. Not sure what is meant by the red channel problem and msvc fiddle? or why you have a duplicated inverted channel

Try following the tutorial here http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185 should help

SoYman 06-21-2013 01:04 PM

I am very sorry for this but as a dyslexic writing takes me a while and realizing that my text has been replaced by an irrelevant message made me furious. I shall rephrase.

I had the problem some other were having with the red channel coming up blank after using the FFT filter. I had downloaded the source zip, not the proper one. When i got it i just put the included msvc*.dll in the right place and i am not sure that it worked right away so i got myself some other msvc*.dll files since i had also gotten an error stating the lack of one such file. That seemed to fix my problem and the red channel started looking like a proper Fourier transformed image.

I made a demonstrative album, demonstrating my perils.

The first image is a very down-scaled version of the original (18Mpix).

In the second image i duplicated the background layer and applied the FFT and IFFT filters consecutively to the duplicated layer. This is apparently a wrong way of doing it.

The third image is made exactly like the second but the layers are not touched. The tutorial says that this is the correct method. What i intended to say, sorry(again) for the gibberish, is that i found it interesting that if i flattened image 2 and inverted it, it looked just like the third.

I tried scaling it down and now it seems to work correctly, among two other smaller test subjects. The problem appears to be based around the size of the image.

Sorry, again

Tony W 06-21-2013 01:54 PM

Not sure if I am correct but seem to recall a maximum image size of around 4800x4800 pixels quoted somewhere. Good to hear that you are at least getting a result now

Chain 06-22-2013 05:21 AM

http://i.imgur.com/rQMfFXG.jpg - I had a super-quick go here. Pixel art is not the best for this I guess, but some areas turned out real nice.