Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

DxO Optics Pro 30% discount

Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM
DxO Optics Pro 30% discount

If anyone is interested, I just got an email notice from DxO that they're having a sale on DxO Optics Pro. Says it's good until June 14:

It's been a lifesaver for me, it's the best lens correction software that I've ever used. You can also do color correction and enhancement with it, it gives a very natural look. But the lens correction has been great.

There should also be a download trial still available.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Re: DxO Optics Pro 30% discount

Does anyone use this? I understand the concept, but can't photoshop or lightroom do the same or darn close? If you do own it...where does it fit into your work flow...thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Re: DxO Optics Pro 30% discount

I use it. That's why I posted the information. For me, Lightroom and Photoshop do not do the job as well and do not get darn close, or even close.

Specifically, DxO Optics Pro absolutely excels at lens corrections. The product does much better correction of chromatic aberration and other lens distortions than Photoshop or Lightroom do (bowing, keystoning, plus lens-model-specific aberrations.). I have a big gallery exhibit coming up in August and I'd been near giving up on some of my prints because I just could not get rid completely of chromatic aberration in some of my images no matter how hard I tried. I actually had to hand-retouch it out in some notable cases, which is difficult, frustrating and very, very time-consuming with subjects like landscapes that include lots of leafless tree branches, or green trees with CA around the leaves, needles, etc.

DxO Optics Pro also has a much richer range of lens/body profiles than Lightroom or Photoshop, including besting the much-praised new Lightroom profiles. I shoot with a D7000 + 18-200mm Nikkor. Neither Lightroom nor Photoshop has profiles for this combination. Photoshop has a D90 + 18-200mm but not a D7000, which has a much better sensor.

In addition, DxO Optics Pro has a better RAW color rendering than Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. I used to use Capture One because it did (for me, anyway) so much better initial color rendering of my RAW files than Lightroom or ACR did, especially skin tones. But it didn't do the CA correction and other corrections as well as DxO Optics Pro, and DxO Optics Pro did even nicer color renderings. To me the colors look more natural, more real than Lightroom's. And I'm not the only one noticing that. Someone on the NAPP forum whom I very recently met wrote me saying the same thing (I also posted this info over there, I'm a NAPP member too).

I tend to push colors a lot, and I do like how Lightroom handles colors in some images, but DxO Optics Pro does a great job, gives me choices and handles a good number of images better.

Finally, DxO has great sharpening. Or more accurately, pre-sharpening. Sharpening was another area I was struggling with until DxO. I used Photoshop sharpening and just couldn't get my prints as sharp as I wanted. I tried DxO's sharpening on a print competition print, loved it and entered it. None other than Hanson Fong told me afterward my print looked like it had been taken with a 4x5 view camera (he was head judge during that print competition session).

I use it as my raw processor for initial lens correction for "keeper" images. I also work with the colors in DxO to see if I like the result better than Lightroom's. Sometimes I do, but not always. But exporting a TIF and DNG from DxO gives me the best possible starting point even if I do all my subsequent processing in Lightroom or Photoshop (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't). And another bonus is that Lightroom/Photoshop don't re-render my colors with TIF/DNG files they way they do with RAW files (and for me that re-rendering is a really big problem).

It's an extra step in my workflow but to me it's well worth it, those problems had me past frustration, I actually downloaded DxO Optics Pro out of desperation because my time-line for this big exhibit was coming up so fast and my progress was way too slow.

And no, I don't work for DxO Frankly, I doubt they know I exist at the corporate level (although I have met a couple of great support guys there while asking for some help on a couple of topics during the trial period). But that product took such a huge weight off my shoulders and solved problems I found unsolvable using other solutions, so if anyone is suffering the same way I'm more than glad to suggest this product.

It's also available for a 30-day download. That's how I tried it, and I bought a license immediately when the trial expired.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-15-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software