Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Browser - Photoshop colours

Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Browser - Photoshop colours

I apologies if this has been asked many times before, but having purchased a better monitor and spent many hours calibrating it, I have since noticed that images I have posted pre new monitor are very over saturated in magenta with lack of sharpening viewed in a browser (Firefox 5.0) but on my new monitor are reasonably ok for colour. Is it the case if indeed I have managed a stable calibration of my monitor, I am now able to view images in a new light, if so do you need to over compensate for images to be displayed on the website barring saving in sRGB?

Many thanks in advance and again apologies as I am sure this has been asked many times before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Re: Browser - Photoshop colours

Hi TopiToo
Many browsers are not color managed which means they browser is going to interpret your actual numeric image data the way it feels (i.e. ignore the ICC profile you have tagged with the image). The reason that converting to sRGB is suggested for web is that this is that sRGB often represents the least common denominator of what monitors can display. Overall, unless you can control what browser is used (and it is also OS dependent) you don't have control over how the image is going to look by the observer in a non-color managed environment. Here is some more info with links that cover this in a little more detail including what browsers are color managed (copied from my post on another forum)

I am not the color expert yet to have colors match on a PC and Mac for web is Browser dependent and whether they are color managed Browsers or not (which is not necessarily consistent from Windows to OSX).

Without using color managed applications you need to make sure that all web images are output in sRGB color space whether tagged or not which is pretty standard given that many Browser are not color managed.

Here are a couple links that may be of help.

This first goes to one of many web pages available to test to see if your browser is color managed (Firefox and Safari are pretty good at this BTW where Internet Explorer in general has not):

This second link is to a summary of several browsers across Windows and OSX and when they are color managed vs if the ICC profile is embedded or not:

Hope that is helpful or at least gets you started.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software