RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Certified Expert (ACE) Tips

Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Smile Adobe Photoshop CS5 Certified Expert (ACE) Tips

Hello RetouchPro!

I'm thinking about taking the ACE exam in a month or two. Obviously there will be some studying involved even though I use Photoshop daily. Before taking it I was wondering if there where any Certified Experts here in this forum who could give me some pointers before taking the exam?
Using the Adobe Exam Guide and the Photoshop CS5 Help Manual are nobrainers but there are quite alot of different exam aids out there (example). Does anyone have any experience using these aids? Also, tips on different studying strategies would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Re: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Certified Expert (ACE) Tip

Greetings
Well i have used that one for my ACE, frankly it worth the money. I use Photoshop in my regular day, for work and as an instructor in Portugal, i start in version 5. I did read lots of books to help me study for the test. Photoshop Channels Chops, Masking and Composing, Photoshop CS5 on Demand, some tutorials by Ben Willmore and Deke M. The exam itself is not easy but itīs not rocket science, if you study 3 hours a day our a little more, and practice along with the program, for example: Use the Exam aid along with Photoshop, answer the question first and if you fail that question, see what was the right one, then go to Photoshop and practice with the tool or option that was on the question that you fail, don't cheat, your not going anywhere if you cheat.
Patrice a lot, try to see as much videos you can, and iīm not only wish good luck but also go to the test and go cool, really, donīt be nervous, itīs just a test, if you fail, thing that's not going to happen :-), do the test again later. I have friend witch now shes a ACE and an ACI, and she failed the first time with 45%, went home, study a lot, 1 month later she pass.
You can do it.
Regards
José Gonįalves, Lisboa
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 AM

Hi jmgcg1!
Thank you for the tips and encouragement! It feels alot better to buy an application for Ģ59.99 when you hear that someone acually found it useful! And congratulations on passing the ACE!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Hey, I need more information.......

If I register for the "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Certified Expert " and pay the fees. how much attempt I can do in that one time fees ?

Also can anyone point about study material ? and can I give it, when I sit at my room ?

Ashish
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank You jonathanhog
One more thing, if you by the program don't forget to update, since they are improving and adding new questions. You have to tweak the time for simulate the Exam, since the real time is one hour and 30 minutes, and the program comes with 1.22, but it gives more then you need to finish the test. Unfortunately if you flag a question the program donīt save the flagged question if you close the program, i send an email to then and they say they are working on that, but until the last update this wasn't solved.
In the ACE test, donīt rush, go cooooool, if you donīt know the answer to one question, flag that one and at the end return to the flagged questions and try to resolve them, this way you donīt stress :-)
I donīt know if you know but you have to leave everything outside, except cloths :-) A pencil or a paper is accepted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Hello Ashish
Every Time you want to attempt you have to pay, on pay one test :-)
"Also can anyone point about study material ?" Sorry i din`t understand your question, you want to know where to find or what kind of material you can use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 AM

jmgcg1, many thanks,

I just want recommendation about books or tutorial which is worth of knowledge to pass the exam. can I give this exam online ?

Ashish
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 AM

O ok :-) Well, Books, get ready if you want a big list :-) First you can use the Help File from Photoshop, this is the big book, and by the way Ashish and Jonathan the Exam aid as a link at the bottom of the question after you answer correctly that takes you directly to Adobe CS5 web page.
So more books, apart from the ones i already mentioned. ( you donīt need to by them all, just chose)
Layers by Matt Kloskowski or The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Layers Book by Richard Lynch, until now there is no CS5 Layers book by the same author. I recommend one of this books, just pick one

Photoshop CS4 Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore and Dan Ablan.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Bible by Lisa DaNae and Brad Dayley. I recommend This one

The Photoshop CS5 Pocket Guide Brie Gynclid

Adobe Photoshop Every Tool explained by Simon Danaher, unfortunately the edition is from 2003 and there is no update, so tools from CS5 are no covered, but is a good book and in the exam you will have lots of questions about tools, and by the way forget tricks you may know, adobe wants to know if you can work with the tool like they design.

This one i also recommend: Photoshop Blending Modes CookBook for digital Photographers, by John Beardsworth, is good book to understand Blend Modes.

Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book, by ADOBE itself with DVD.

Deke McClelland CS5 one-0n-one with links to web videos, and also on Lynda.Com, Deke videos, Kelby Training videos, Chris Cross videos.

If you need more feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Patron

One fair warning about the book list..... When I started working with Photoshop I bought a good number of expensive books, including several by the authors listed above. That was back in the CS, CS2 and CS3 days.

Most of those books were sitting in my library for way too short a time before their updated versions came out when Adobe released a new version of Photoshop. Replacing them was way too expensive so I now only buy books that won't be outdated when versions change, like Dan Margulis' Lab Color (the best!) and Katrin Eismann's books on Retouching and Compositing.

That said, if you do retouching as your day job (which I don't) then it may be worth it to buy all those books and refresh the ones you use most when Adobe releases its next version of Photoshop.

As for the ACE test I've never taken it or studied for it, so take my input accordingly. But the ACE experts on the NAPP forum have said repeatedly that everything on the test is in Adobe's Help pages and have advised that studying Adobe's prep materials and studying the help pages is the most reliable way to study. So services like those you mention and that are getting high marks here sound like they would help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 PM

I totally agreed with you on the Help file from Photoshop, thatīs way i refer to it "the big book"
Some of the books i refer, also are books that donīt need update, like channels chops, and that's way i didn't refer to Martin Evening or Mark Galer and Philip Andrews books, witch are the same books but with some new pages and a new cover. Katrin Eismannīs Retouching book had 3 updates from PSH 6 to CS2 (green cover),

Since one of the members ask for tutorials i also mention Lynda as one example, there are more out there.

I know that NAPP ACE experts (i donīt belong to NAPP) said that everything is on the adobe Help pages, but even them,since NAPP belongs to Kelby made a video with Matt Kloskowski, it is available for sale on Kelby site call "Adobe Certified Exam Boot Camp" so they said study by ADOBE Hep but made a video for sale and we all know Kelby and some NAPP advise Kelby Training videos for study to become an ACE.

Iīm sorry but i donīt believe that this kind of services wonīt help. It also depends from person to person, some prefer to read others like tutorials.

Cheers from Portugal

Last edited by jmgcg1; 07-03-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software