RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

CS5 crashes

Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 AM

CS5 crashes

Hello everyone,

When I my PC comes back from hibernation mode windows 7 64bit photoshop CS5 freezes. I am not able to switch it off even through the task manager and have to restart my PC. Anyone has experienced anything like that. Oh yes and one thing to mention sometimes while on hibernation graphic card(asus radeon 5770 1GB) crashes to but it recovers when PC is brought back from sleeping mode. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Re: CS5 crashes

Not an uncommon problem. Hibernate is trying to save all system state before it goes down to a total power down (last I remember). If it does not save "all" the system state, you can end up with problems. Sleep can have fewer issues because it leaves the main memory powered (again going by my memory). If you have system state still not saved, again an issue.

I would start with making sure you have all software updates from OS, BIOS, and all your audio visual cards/drivers from the vendors. This is often an area that gets updated as problems are found. Getting all the updates has solved many a problem and beats trying to track down root cause.

Alternatively, just go with sleep mode

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Patron

If you computer is powered through a Uniteruptable Power Supply (UPS), then you would be better to just put it in standby / sleep mode. Power consumption is effectively zero and wake up time is immediate. You also don't need to go through the extra hassle of writing several GB to and from your hard drive every time you hibernate.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Hi John,

All update up to date. I have checked them. PC is quiet clean not too much in there I also do scanning regularly. One thing is BIOS iI have not touched. I was keen to do it but at Asus forums I was advised not to do it if PC ok. Well not really ok anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Hi Murray,

That sleep mode makes my CS5 crash. Do you mean sleep as an option in the control panel>hardware...? I don't really see other options or aware apart from couple of variants. Display goes to sleep normally after 15 minutes so the PC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Patron

When you bring your PC out of Sleep mode, do other apps work which were running prior to Sleep, still run and it's just CS5 that freezes? If that is the case, on which drive is your PS scratch disk located?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 AM

Hi Murray,

All works fine just CS5. It is c:/...?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
When you bring your PC out of Sleep mode, do other apps work which were running prior to Sleep, still run and it's just CS5 that freezes? If that is the case, on which drive is your PS scratch disk located?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
Hi Murray,

All works fine just CS5. It is c:/...?!
- Check the PS Preferences to see that you have not allocated too large an amount of your DRAM to PS. All apps as well as your OS contend for a share of DRAM. When it gets too full nasty fights can break out and usually the OS wins. As a test, try closing all other apps, start up CS but don't open any images, put PC into sleep mode, then wake and see if CS5 runs.
- If possible try relocating the scratch disk to another physical drive if you have one. If you do not, try to move it to another partition on the hard drive that contains your OS. If you only have a single drive with your OS and everything on it, you should consider partitioning it.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM

I wouldn't partition the drive. It will just make for excess wear and tear. You should maintain a lot of extra space on the drive if it is scratching to the boot drive. It's just a bad idea and causes weird behavior. If you were buying a backup boot drive I suppose you could partition the fastest part of that as a scratch disk but you'd never be accessing the boot portion of this second drive under normal circumstances. Regarding crashes if your video card is crashing too I'd use google to check for any problems there. I could add to update drivers but it's unlikely that it would be a driver issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM

A quick check on the internet indicates quite a number of sleep and hibernate issues with this graphics card. You also indicated some issues attributed to this graphics card on your system.

This may be a long shot yet why not try turning off "Enable Open GL Drawing" in Preferences and see if you have the same hibernation/sleep issues with Photoshop. This is not a definitive test yet with known reported issues with the card on the internet and as reported by you, I thought it would be worth a shot to minimize the functionality usage of the graphics card and see if it makes a difference.

Not matter what, if you find root cause, please report back on what you find. Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software