RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Software for changing EXIF in batch?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Software for changing EXIF in batch?

Hello:

I am giving photos to a model, and want to allow her to edit or give permission to edit to whoever she likes.

I would like however to remove my copyright EXIF info, for a bunch of photos, so my name doesn't appear there... Its around 1500 photos, so it would be insane do it manually.

Anyone knows a software to do this? Free! Zero cost!

Cheers

GDML77
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Patron

Re: Software for changing EXIF in batch?

GDML77, welcome to RetouchPro. Just create a tiny action in Photoshop. Open the image, select all, new document, paste, save (to another folder), close file, end action. Just run it under File>Automate>Batch.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM

I did not explain myself properly.

I actually meant to do this in the RAW files.

Story is, a 3 hours dance session in studio, where I just clicked the button as she moved...

Around 1500 RAWs, I need to transfer copyright... and place the new owner in the EXIF info...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Patron

In Win7 you can Click and Shift click to highlight all of your RAW files. With all selected, right click on one file and choose Properties. Click the Detail tab and scroll down to Copyright. Highlight the text and clear it or change it to something new. Now when you click the OK button, the OS will go through and wipe the contents of that field for all of the selected files.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 08-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDML77 View Post
I did not explain myself properly.
I actually meant to do this in the RAW files.
There is no such metadata in a raw, its essentially read only. A sidecar file would have this user info. There’s always DNG which would allow you to update the metadata with stuff like copyright, keywords etc. There’s Bridge or Lightroom to apply the embedded EXIF in a batch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
There is no such metadata in a raw, its essentially read only. A sidecar file would have this user info. There’s always DNG which would allow you to update the metadata with stuff like copyright, keywords etc. There’s Bridge or Lightroom to apply the embedded EXIF in a batch.
It depends on the camera. Many DSLRs have Menu settings that allow the embedding of Copyright, Photographer, etc info into the RAW file. Some fields can be written to. If your RAW file is read only, you can just use a Hex Editor that runs a Find & Replace command in Batch mode such as Hex Editor Neo 4.9. I believe the folder containing the RAW files can be up to 1 TB (terabyte) in size. Most of the Hex Editors will have an option to keep a backup copy of the original.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
It depends on the camera. Many DSLRs have Menu settings that allow the embedding of Copyright, Photographer, etc info into the RAW file.
Somewhat of a scary idea with proprietary data formats. I’d be far more comfortable with an open file format like DNG. That said, PSD is proprietary and its possible. I wonder if any raw processors will barf on such a raw (or not have access to the data).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Somewhat of a scary idea with proprietary data formats. I’d be far more comfortable with an open file format like DNG. That said, PSD is proprietary and its possible. I wonder if any raw processors will barf on such a raw (or not have access to the data).
So far the processors I have tried as well as PS, Bridge, and Lightroom all open modified files. They certainly don't mind changes to any fields that Bridge and Lightroom will display in Camera Data, IPTC Core, etc. My need to edit RAW files arose when I discovered that Nikon embeds your camera's serial number in each RAW file. I do not believe that is a good idea for a number of reasons. Under certain circumstances when it is necessary to distribute RAW files, I will remove it.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Janitor

This thread got me curious, so I did some googling:

http://exifpilot.com
http://www.photome.de

There are a dozen or more others, but these specify editing the actual raw files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Patron

Hi Doug,
The info on exifpilot says it can edit files converted from RAW, like jpg, png, dng, etc. It says that it supports RAW formats as read only.
Photome is much more vague noting that it supports everything but does not describe what support means.
If I get some spare time I might give them a whirl.... well on 2nd thought I just noticed that PhotoMe is on its 28th revision and is still only up to version 0.82beta.
Thanks & regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software