RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Re: CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

Murrey,

I did experiment to see if that file would upload on RP with the lowest possible quality that is possible. PS, Windows properties all of thgem show same 1.2 MB size file. RP allowing up to 100KB so I gave ago and same thing here it showed 1.2MB . I regularly save files but never had anything like this. It is Jpeg it is compressed I know I loose quality but I don't get anywhere with this file for some reason. I was saving tons of files for the last 3 days and all went smooth. Seems I am stuck here for a while
Thanks Murrey
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Patron

Can you upload the full sized orig jpg file somewhere along with a version that you have saved at low quality?
regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 AM

original is RAW if that what you mean by original. thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM

It is possible that a bunch of metadata is attached to the file (from plugins, other applications, etc.). This will not be lost when doing Save As.

If you are making a low resolution JPEG, then "Save for Web" is the best option as it will help you throw away needless information, and it gives you better control. Effectively you will end up with less file size compared to image quality. Try this and report back on the file size.

If possible, upload a copy of the problematic file so we can look at it and find out for sure.

Ps: I have run into this here at work where our InDesign-documents have a plugin that - among other things - embeds a large preview in the metadata. This metadata remains when exporting to PDF/JPEG (adding ~1 MB). If opening the PDF in Photoshop and using "save as" to JPEG the info still remains, making it impossible to get a smaller file size without removing the metadata (through save for web or File>file info>Advanced).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Original is raw? Hmm... strange.

I recommend you do as Murray suggest and upload the files to us so we can study them. It probably won't take long for Murray to figure it out if he gets his hands on the files
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM

That was great tip Chain. My last update on this photo included plug-in and that caused the problem I believe. I used BatchPurifier and deleted all possible data of the file. Now I have all control over the <save as> process. What is that data for there anyway? I hope one's I delete it my file stays the same in a appearance(not that I notice) Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Metadata of note on images usually consists of information like when or where it was taken, camera model and settings, copyright information, keywords, raw conversion settings, etc.

This usually doesn't take up much space, but when sharing it you usually want to remove the unesscesary stuff (privacy and file size considerations). Save for web helps you do this (it will not affect the pixels themselves in any way).

Plugins (and other programs) can also add whatever metadata they want, like my thumbnail example. This metadata is usually not understood by other programs (and ignored), but will follow the file until removed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM

it is so stupid 1MB of meta was on for a while with the file. Next time I want to tip someone Nice one Chain
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Patron

Neb, the easiest way to get rid of the metadata is: Open the image, do all your edits, resize, then Select All, Copy, Ctrl N (new doc), Paste. This will copy only the pixels to the new file; all of the metadata is gone.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Never done this one in the mind having what you said Murrey. Are you talking about PSD file too?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software