RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Patron

Re: CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

When you do copy and paste into a new document, the metadata is stripped off and you can save the file as a PSD, Tiff, JPG, BMP, or anything you like. If you are using a color managed workflow and wish to maintain your your color info, you just need to select the appropriate color space from the New Doc dialog window. If your image happened to be in a different color profile from your PS workspace, you could just use the Edit>Assign Profile command after you paste it into the new document.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Yep, creating a new document (without additional metadata) and copy/pasting works since you copy just the pixels and nothing else. That is a quick/easy way of stripping it.

If all you wanted was to save a lowres JPEG without the metadata, then skipping this step and going straight to "Save for web and devices" is quicker.

A slower way of removing metadata (but allows you to be selective about it, and you won't have to move things to a new document) is doing it under File > File info. In the advanced-tab you can view/delete any metadata (e.g. the metadata from the plugins as this won't show up in the predefined tabs).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Thanks Murray. Thanks Chain. Great help from you.
I red my self in forums about "Save for Web" and people say stay away from it. Personally it would give me wider color shift from normal <save as> way of saving
Are you aware of it in your experience?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 AM

What color profile is the image you are trying to save, and what are you going to use the lowres JPEG for?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 AM

sRGB. The lowres I use here of up to 100kb and then I use of up to 800kb to display it on the web or large one for a client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 AM

If your image is in sRGB there should be no problem to use Save for Web.

You can also choose to embed the profile in the image file (the "embed profile" option) to be sure other applications that support colour management display it as intended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Hi chain,

Thanks for the tip.

Have you ever tried to compare images side by side <save as> with <save for web>? They differ from each other. I am sure you did in the past. Does it make difference on what browser preview image?I mean do different browsers output same color when same image previewed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM

In general, software like ms office, mail clients, and browsers (some do have cm support now, but you can not expect the end user to have it) ignore what profile an image has and will just display the numbers the way they are (should look like it was assigned srgb). This is regardless of how it was saved. I could run some tests but am on the metro now :p

Save for web will let you preview the image under different scenarios - try it. And make sure the image is srgb or it is guaranteed to look bad in many browsers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks Chain,

try it both ways and you will notice the difference.We still waiting for the reception in UK tubes though
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Hi Nebula

I will toss in a few more thoughts on browsers and color management. I leverage this from a post I made on another forum.

There are a couple things a browser needs to do to be color managed.

1) Be able to read ICC profiles tagged with the image
2) Be able to convert/translate the data to your monitors ICC profile

Some browsers do not do #1 and just assume that the data is already in sRGB. Some browsers do no color management at all and do not covert the data to match your monitors ICC profile and just set the raw image data directly.

Since you have no control of what browser a user has nor whether they have a color calibrated monitor, it is safest to convert to sRGB for web use. I also always make sure the image is tagged with its ICC profile even if it is for Web use with the assumption it is RGB.

Here is the cut and paste from my post on the other forum. The embedded links may be a little out of date yet provide good info:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I am not the color expert yet to have colors match on a PC and Mac for web is Browser dependent and whether they are color managed Browsers or not (which is not necessarily consistent from Windows to OSX).

Without using color managed applications you need to make sure that all web images are output in sRGB color space whether tagged or not which is pretty standard given that many Browser are not color managed.

Here are a couple links that may be of help.

This first goes to one of many web pages available to test to see if your browser is color managed (Firefox and Safari are pretty good at this BTW where Internet Explorer in general has not):

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

This second link is to a summary of several browsers across Windows and OSX and when they are color managed vs if the ICC profile is embedded or not:

http://blogs.whattheythink.com/blogn...n-web-browsers

Here would be my general rules of thumb and other experts may jump in with other views to get matched colors on web images with #1 being most desirable and going to #4 being least desirable.

1) Output with sRGB color space with profile tagged in images
2) If not #1, output with sRGB color space untagged with image
3) Outputting web images with color profiles other than sRGB (e.g. Adobe RGB) will only work well with color managed browsers if the image is tagged with the profile
4) Outputting web images with color profile other than sRGB with the image untagged virtually guarantees it will be viewed incorrectly (since untagged is typically assumed to be sRGB by the Browser).

This may not be 100% accurate yet should get you going. Others may jump in on the topic.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software