RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 AM

CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

sAVE as unusual things.??
Hi everyone,

I currently working on the 16 bit file. before going for <save as> I change it to 8bit . All I need is up to 800kb file. So after 8bit conversion I go to <image size> I make it 72dpi. then straight to <save as> and file still 1.3MB even if I lower quality to low it only goes down to 1.1MB What is going on here?
Thank you.Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Re: CS5. <sAVE as> unusual things.??

Hi Nebulaoperator
Not sure if you were saving in JPG or otherwise. Image size is mostly determined by

- Total number of pixles (width x height)
- 8 vs 16 bit
- number of color channels (RGB vs CMYK)
- file format
- compression used with that file format
- Layer information if using PSD, TIFF, or similar
- Flattened copy is saved with Maximize Compatibiity
- minor amount from including ICC profile and metadata

Changing DPI does not change the file size by itself

I suggest giving "File > Save for Web and Devices" You can tune in the file size you want with that output option. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
sAVE as unusual things.??
Hi everyone,

I currently working on the 16 bit file. before going for <save as> I change it to 8bit . All I need is up to 800kb file. So after 8bit conversion I go to <image size> I make it 72dpi. then straight to <save as> and file still 1.3MB even if I lower quality to low it only goes down to 1.1MB What is going on here?
Thank you.Neb
If you have changed the Image Size without turning on the Resample box, then you still have the same number of pixels in the file, you have just made the display resoultion 1/4 as large but have increased the image dimensions by 4x, resulting in no change.
If you did resample , you image will be considerably smaller. However, if you have started with a large image, 12-24 megapixel, you may easily have a jpg that exceeds 1MB at medium quality.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Hi John,
Well: RGB, 8bit, Jpeg, flattened or other non flattened any way I do happens same. just tried other file and things go smooth.I am not really a fan of <web save>. No idea. have to look careful look at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi Murray,
This is how it looks:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window.JPG (35.2 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Patron

Quote:
Hi Murray,
This is how it looks:
The max size of your image with absolutely no compression (tiff or PSD) will be 571 x 800 x 3 = 1.370MB
You need to remember that an RGB image needs 1 byte per channel to store a pixel. Now if you do a File>Save As jpg you should see in the dialog box the estimated file size that will result as you lower the quality from 12 to 11 to 10...all the way to 1. PS makes an approximation but it is usually very accurate. At a quality level of 10 there is usually a 4:1 reduction.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
The max size of your image with absolutely no compression (tiff or PSD) will be 571 x 800 x 3 = 1.370MB
You need to remember that an RGB image needs 1 byte per channel to store a pixel. Now if you do a File>Save As jpg you should see in the dialog box the estimated file size that will result as you lower the quality from 12 to 11 to 10...all the way to 1. PS makes an approximation but it is usually very accurate. At a quality level of 10 there is usually a 4:1 reduction.
Regards, Murray
The thing is that slider you are talking about is not reducing. Going from 12 to 1 it only reduces from 1.3MB to 1.1MB. Isn't it strange?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Patron

Quote:
The thing is that slider you are talking about is not reducing. Going from 12 to 1 it only reduces from 1.3MB to 1.1MB. Isn't it strange?
Test: Try setting the quality very low (like 1 or 2) and actually click the OK button and then use windows explorer to check the actual size of the resulting saved file. If the actual file size is a lot smaller, then you will know that there is something wrong with PS's jpg size previewer. What version of PS are you using and under what OS?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Test: Try setting the quality very low (like 1 or 2) and actually click the OK button and then use windows explorer to check the actual size of the resulting saved file. If the actual file size is a lot smaller, then you will know that there is something wrong with PS's jpg size previewer. What version of PS are you using and under what OS?
Regards, Murray
Hi Murray,

I did as you suggested 1 when saving with the size of around 850x595. Opened it on IE browser and funny enough it had 1.2 MB size but the quality of <1>. I use CS5 Windows 7 home premium.
Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Patron

Neb, when you save a file (850x595) as a jpg, the file size as viewed with Windows Exporer, will be much smaller than 1.2M depending on the Quality setting. HOWEVER, when that file is opened in PS or IE or any any other application, the file becomes uncompressed and will be expanded to 850 x595 x3 bytes (plus a number bytes for metadata). One analogy I can give you is as follows: You squish / crunch a newspaper page so you can fit it in your shirt pocket (3x3 inches. When you take it out to read it, you open it back up to 20 x 17". The more you crunch it up, the more creases it will have and the worse will be how it looks when you unravel it. Same with jpg format. The more you compress, the more colors and detail get destroyed. Unlike the newspaper, with jpg you never recover the lost info - it's gone. That's why jpg is destructive.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software