RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 8 DP

Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Windows 8 DP

You can now download the Developer's Preview of Windows 8 here. This is a screenshot of my installation on a Mac using Parallels 6 (you can only do a clean install so PC users might not want to try this!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win8dp.jpg (94.5 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Patron

Re: Windows 8 DP

Well, how can I say this politely: Apple's got nothing to worry about at all. This is no iOS! This is basically Windows 7 with colorful wrapping paper that you can slide around and easily get underneath when you're done playing with the unnecessary eye candy and need to get to work. Dare I say it's got a bit of a Dr. Seuss feel to it. Windows Explorer looks like Word. And overall it's missing a lot of functionality in the Start menu, etc. It takes a bit of work to discover how to log out or shut down.

I keep getting trapped in Add Feeds and other such screens. The Done button does nothing. Shared networking doesn't work. Some of this may be due to virtualization; maybe not. I'll restart the Mac and see.

I've got more objective unkind things to say but I'll wait and see what others think ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Patron

Well, the general response to the Windows 8 DP seems to be that MS is onto something here! Whereas Apple has maintained mostly separation between desktop and mobile devices in terms of OS's (OSX vs. iOS), MS has a one-size-fits-all approach. Tablets will take on functionality once reserved for desktops, while iPads are predicted to be lagging behind.

This is interesting because MS traditionally has a different target market than Apple (mainly business users who tend to be very slow on the upgrade uptake), so it remains to be seen how quickly Win8 is adopted in that market segment. Maybe it'll be a bigger hit with consumers?

At any rate, these are very interesting technological times!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 AM

if i could find a microsoft 'ipad' with windows 7 installed, i'd buy it in an instant, especially if it talked to my desktop with little to no fuss.

but win 8? i'm in no hurry there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Patron

Funny you should post now, I was just installing Windows 8 DP in Lion as a VM on an extra hard drive. Works fine, it's just what it is... I know it seems exciting to some people but as I said above IMO it's an upgraded Windows 7 with primary-color slippery wrapping paper designed to appeal to 4th graders.

I downloaded the Windows 8 guide PDF but Windows doesn't come with anything to open it-! If I had to actually use this OS on a regular basis it wouldn't be so funny ;-). [Downloaded the PDF on my Mac and immediately popped it open with the spacebar...]

Hopefully iCloud will help with the syncing difficulties among our devices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win8pdf.jpg (46.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg icloud.jpg (42.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 09-24-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM

sorry, but i grew up before computers were commonplace and i've had enough viruses and screwups and warnings about security threats and so on that the whole 'cloud' idea is just not one i care to join. the idea of putting all my files and data and such on a remote computer where i have control over who might be looking and borrowing... no thanks! i dont even use Dropbox or any of those. i did use Sendit once, but only once. and, i've finally found a way to get my files to and from the ipad2 relatively easily now. i can even put my windows desktop ON my ipad2 and run it from the ipad. i'll post more on the other thread i started about the ipad2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
.. i've finally found a way to get my files to and from the ipad2 relatively easily now. i can even put my windows desktop ON my ipad2 and run it from the ipad. i'll post more on the other thread i started about the ipad2.
Is it GoToMyPC for iPad?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 PM

hi chillin,

i just got done updating my review of the ipad2. see it here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...-critique.html . that will answer your question
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
...i grew up before computers were commonplace and i've had enough viruses and screwups and warnings about security threats...
Craig, you got in early but took the wrong fork in the road! The road to hell is paved with viruses and screwups and warnings about security threats ;-).

But i do agree with you about the generic cloud. If anything, I would use my own webhost's server to remotely store my data files before sending them "somewhere else". As you said, we must ask who's on the other end of the cloud connection and what they can do with our data. "Oops, we had a security breach, sorry... Your Vegas photos have gone wild!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM

"Craig, you got in early but took the wrong fork in the road!"

i presume you're talking about apple vs the pc. lol. i had an Amiga 2000 and put both of them to shame!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software