RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Problem with CS5, need help please

Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Re: Problem with CS5, need help please

PS. Tried downloading the latest RAW update but no success. Haven't rebooted machine yet though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Patron

From PS, if you do Edit>Preferences>Camera RAW, are you able to bring up the Camera RAW prefences dialog?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM

I get the message "Could not complete the Camera Raw command because the Adobe Camera Raw plugin cannot be found"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Heath View Post
I get the message "Could not complete the Camera Raw command because the Adobe Camera Raw plugin cannot be found"
OK, sounds like more than just your prefs file was wiped out. Which could mean that there are other problems you have not encountered yet.I would recommend the following:
1. Install PSCS5 on top of itself (IOW do not uninstall first). Sometimes the installer will figure out that a component was corrupted / missing and will just repair the orig installation. You have a 50/50 chance this will work.

2. If above fails, uninstall completely and reinstall. BUT, before you uninstall, save your workspace settings and copy it and any plugins and presets that you have manually installed (placed in PS folders) after your CS5 installation was done. Make sure you have installers of any plugins that were run after CS5 was installed.

Best rgds, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Patron

Not sure if this of any real help but have you tried following the instructions listed Here
EDIT: Troubleshoot pluc-ins http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/409/kb409112.html

I would be a little concerned over what has happened here and want to investigate a little further to try and ascertain why the system failed. Two things you mentioned a. the Black screen of Death (used to be the BSD) and the fact that your email application has been corrupted suggests perhaps a little more than just an Adobe application failure/corruption. It is just possible that Windows system has been corrupted/compromised and therefore at this time is suspect

What applications, drivers or other additions both software and hardware have changed in your system prior to the problem?
What Antivirus and Anti Malware software are you running and have you recently updated?
Could you have inadvertantly opened an email attachment which was unknown?
Etc. etc.

Last edited by Tony W; 09-16-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Hi Tony,

Have already tried the reinstall without uninstalling but no luck. Have reset the preferences file but RAW seems to be gone completely. I will most likely uninstall and reinstall but will do that tomorrow. Very late here in Melbourne right now.

I haven't installed any new software lately and hopefully have not opened a link containing virus or malware. Using AVG and all is up to date however I did postpone an update yesterday while I was trying to sort out this problem. That update has since been installed an no report of anything suspicious.

I keep this computer pretty clean. Programs are restricted to Creative Suite plus things like skype, gotomeeting, yousendit etc. I don't even have Microsoft Office applications on this machine.

Last edited by Carol Heath; 09-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Patron

Hi Carol, this will either be good night or good morning I guess . While this sort of occurence can be quite worrying/traumatic the best advice I can offer at this time is to panic slowly! . Hopefully you at least have your data backed up and your applications available for new install if required.

A complete uninstall/reinstall of Adobe products should be helpful and enable you to continue, but IMO you should also investigate the Windows application for errors.

It may be that you will need to consider a repair install of Windows. When you have time you can run the sfc.exe utiility which allows users to scan for and restore corrupt Windows system files.

To use the utility it will need to be run with Administrator privelleges.
To run the System File Checker type cmd in start/search box. A window will open type in sfc /scannow (exactly as shown including space) and hit the enter key. Warning: It may take quite some time to complete!! but if it finds corrupted files should replace them from the cached copies in the Windows system folders. With luck you may find no problems with Windows install.

You mention AVG as your antivirus, this may also contain anti malware facility but I would also suggest you look at downloading Malwarebytes and Spybot both available as freeware and both very capable of finding any nasties lurking in your system - just be sure to set them not to run concurrently with other software i.e. on demand only
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Hi Carol

Looks like you are in good hands with Murray and Tony so won't put much in my post. With corruption that occurred outside of Photoshop I too am concerned that this is not just a Photoshop issue so the advice on protecting/checking you system I think is very important.

It may be the most productive to do the entire reinstall rather than detailed debugging why RAW will not open up.

A basic reinstall of Photoshop may not clean up everything so I agree with the advice on the "complete" uninstall process. A good example of this is that Adobe Bridge also accesses ACR and if Bridge is set up to open on its own at login, this has been know to cause issues when trying to resolve problems. I think you would have had to have enabled this on purpose with preferences or giving it permission when it asks (I think it does that the first time it is run). That can be disabled in Adobe Bridge Preferences under the Advanced section (unchecked the option to launch Bridge at login).

Good luck on getting to resolution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would drop in and say Thank You! Problem seems to be resolved. Uninstall of all CS5 suite was not successful so I ran the clean suite script as suggested by Girlsfather before reinstallinf PS. We think that the black screen I originally saw was in fact an automated ChkDsk run by Windows on startup so hopefully, whatever problem windows was having has also been resolved. I haven't encountered any other problems thus far so fingers crossed, all is fine and I can get back to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 AM

I am glad you resolved your problems and I could help a little.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software