RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

iOS 5: Anybody?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: iOS 5: Anybody?

Hmm, on my daughter's iPad 1 all went well except for her apps being restored (?). She will try to do that manually. Photos and books were OK though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 PM

hmmm, i had thought my ipad2 would notify me that the new ios was out, yet it didnt. and since i stay away from itunes as much as possible, i guess i've just missed this. are there any nasty side effects for the ipad2? any difficulties? anyone lose anything? i hate installing new o/s'es... so much risk, so little benefit. i've got thousands of files and quite a few apps on this thing. i'd hate to lose it, even if i do have a love/hate going on with it. lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Patron

Craig, iTunes is the place for getting info for your iPad. My iPad 2 update went fine best I can tell. My daughter is having to manually restore her apps on an iPad 1 so we'll see how that plays out.

Just make sure you have a sync backup and back it up too!

If it makes you feel any better, I only have Lion on an external drive so far...

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 10-17-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
hmmm, i had thought my ipad2 would notify me that the new ios was out, yet it didnt. and since i stay away from itunes as much as possible, i guess i've just missed this. are there any nasty side effects for the ipad2? any difficulties? anyone lose anything? i hate installing new o/s'es... so much risk, so little benefit. i've got thousands of files and quite a few apps on this thing. i'd hate to lose it, even if i do have a love/hate going on with it. lol.
Craig, are your files stored within an application? If yes, they should be OK as long as you create a backup within iTunes. iTunes is the place where you have stored all your applications with files within them. But really, who knows what is going to happen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Craig, iTunes is the place for getting info for your iPad. My iPad 2 update went fine best I can tell. My daughter is having to manually restore her apps on an iPad 1 so we'll see how that plays out.

Just make sure you have a sync backup and back it up too!

If it makes you feel any better, I only have Lion on an external drive so far...
Mike, are you happy with Lion? I am still on Snow Leopard and I am not in rush to install Lion. I have read it is not as good as Snow Leopard and they have made few ugly changes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM

[
Installed 5.0 yesterday on my iPad 1 as well as upgrade for ITunes. When I began the install for ITunes it displayed a message that it was backing up all my apps etc. It took a good 30 minutes but it installed ok. I then got a window telling me that the OS update was available.

I let it install and it also took about 30 minutes. I got a window telling me that it was re-installing my apps. And a message saying my iPad had been restored to factory settings. So I went through the setup again following screen instructions.

All app icons etc appeared to be normal, but I could not get anything to open. So I re-synced and finally all is working properly, at least as of now. Nothing was lost in any of this, but what a pain. And as you say Craig, for minimum gain and some more built- in apps which can cost if you don't watch how you use them.

Clutter...clutter...clutter.

Steve C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post

QUOTE=Kraellin;299139]hmmm, i had thought my ipad2 would notify me that the new ios was out, yet it didnt. and since i stay away from itunes as much as possible, i guess i've just missed this. are there any nasty side effects for the ipad2? any difficulties? anyone lose anything? i hate installing new o/s'es... so much risk, so little benefit. i've got thousands of files and quite a few apps on this thing. i'd hate to lose it, even if i do have a love/hate going on with it. lol.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Patron

creativeretouch, I don't actually use Lion often, though I keep the external install of it updated and ready to go (including a SL Server VM). I do use Lion Server in the office, not as a server but as a Mac-lab admin station, and there are some interface annoyances and such, but nothing critical. I do prefer the look/feel of SL though and will use it for awhile yet.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software