RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Unbelievable Photoshop sneak

Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM

Re: Unbelievable Photoshop sneak

Amazing Technology! For that rare shot that was perfect but the shutter speed was a tad slow (thinking live event shooting) who knows, it may come to the rescue. We shall see. Great post btw!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Chet: The light-field technology you link to is sweet (allows you to change focus in a photo after it was taken). It believe it generally uses an array of micro-lenses above the sensor. The downside is a lot lower resolution (and/or less light). I remember seeing a nice demo-video a while back.
Actually it's much better than that. The technology behind Lytro is ray-tracing. It's similar to how ray-tracing in 3D animation hugely, hugely simplifies high-resolution modeling by eliminating the need to exactly model the surface. Instead, the software traces the paths of light rays from the viewer back to the object then back to the source.

Lytro uses the same principles to figure out at any given focus point how to trace the rays of light back to the source in such a way that will keep Object X in the photo in focus, then recalculates everything when the focus point changes to Object Y. That's how it literally allows you to determine focus after the image is captured. Very cool stuff.

The only reason it's low resolution is because this is Version 1. Just think back to when digital cameras we currently use had VGA resolution in their early day. They don't have VGA resolution any more, and neither will Lytro in future releases.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 11-10-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
The only reason it's low resolution is because this is Version 1. Just think back to when digital cameras we currently use had VGA resolution in their early day. They don't have VGA resolution any more, and neither will Lytro in future releases.
The reason it is low resolution is because it needs several pixels on the sensor per pixel in the final image. (In a demo I saw of such a camera four pixels were used). This effectively will make it always have an image resolution lower than a regular camera with the same size/resolution sensor unless/until some new revolutionary sensor design is invented.
However, modern sensors can be very high resolution, so what remains is the question of how much resolution you need for the task at hand (assuming they iron out the other image quality/optical challenges).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Patron

I really believe that in the future, they will be able to put over 100 sensors of the same resolution as today's best sensor into the same area as one sensor is today. Parallel sensors will lead to all kinds of abilities only dreamed of now. The only drawback is that it will require astronomical disk space to store images compared to today unless a new lossless compression technique can be created, but HDs are getting bigger and cheaper. Heard the other day that they figured out a way be able to actually create an 18 Terabyte drive; that's outrageous. Also, the complexity will require a lot of CPU/GPU power to process so that is something else that will be developed too. Still, most of the time, a simple jpeg is good enough for me. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Heard the other day that they figured out a way be able to actually create an 18 Terabyte drive; that's outrageous.
Crikey! The computer I first used for creating computer graphics on had a 40Mb HDD!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropt View Post
This an incredible feature, but my problem with all that is, soon people will know we don't need to take good pictures to create a good one out of photoshop. And that worries me a little.
We are all ready at that stage. The most important thing is the software. Anyone can take a simple point and shoot camera and take good pictures
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software