RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Unbelievable Photoshop sneak

Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Unbelievable Photoshop sneak

I gasped audibly.
Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Re: Unbelievable Photoshop sneak

This an incredible feature, but my problem with all that is, soon people will know we don't need to take good pictures to create a good one out of photoshop. And that worries me a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM

IMHO

The unblur feature would be welcomed by me yet it is not promised to be in CS6. I would consider it another tool in the toolbox. Like all tools they have their limitations. A Master Carpenter can do great things with great tools (and also basic tools). Yet, even with great tools, I would not want an apprentice to build a house for me.

Think about the value of Content Aware Fill. That was touted as a super tool and for what it does, it is super. Yet, it does not solve all problems nor in some cases is part of the solution at all. The deblur feature will no doubt be like that. When you get an image from a client, this tool may be a productive way to help out. In other cases it may not.

As always, the best image always will come from getting the best shot to begin with. I am looking forward to giving it a test drive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

It has been revealed that Adobe "faked" at least part of this presentation, using an artificially blurred photo to "de-blur".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2011, 04:34 AM

That certainly is an impressive stunt.

I Agree with John, above - It will be another tool to help us achieve better quality images. I also thought that the final comment (by whoever that very irritating man with the red trainers on is) "Would I pay for it? No!" was very pertinent.

On a similar note, there was this rather interesting article on the BBC website this morning:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15383516
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 AM

The technology is absolutely useful, and I saw it discussed in some paper from 2006. Nice to see it getting better and Adobe starting to implement it. What it does is reduce blur due to camera movement (motion blur). How good the result is mainly depends on how accurately it is able to calculate that blur kernel (how the camera moved/the "path" of the blur) – so if Adobe in their example used artificial blur (with a perfectly known blur kernel) that would have given them a bit better results in the demo that what you can expect on "real" blur.

Chet: The light-field technology you link to is sweet (allows you to change focus in a photo after it was taken). It believe it generally uses an array of micro-lenses above the sensor. The downside is a lot lower resolution (and/or less light). I remember seeing a nice demo-video a while back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropt View Post
This an incredible feature, but my problem with all that is, soon people will know we don't need to take good pictures to create a good one out of photoshop. And that worries me a little.
I agree. But not just Photoshop, now this Lytro camera is coming out [looks like children's toy]. Crazy tech that makes an image near flawless.

Yikes
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Chain, I wrote about this technology in a grad school paper back in 1992-! I saw an example somewhere that showed a blurred license plate being pulled back into focus. I can post quotes from my paper if anyone's interested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Patron

I saw the refocusing demo video a week or so too. It looks beyond simple deconvolution schemes. Not totally convinced that what they are achieving would be real-world compatible since the did use an artificial blur meaning they could have fudged the result (call me a sceptic). Still, if this technology proves real, why use a lightfield camera when refocusing can all be done in software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 AM

I love all this stuff BUT, as John W alludes to, you need to have an 'eye' in the first place to judge whether the results are convincing or not. As a commercial retoucher I haven't had many requests to 'unblur' pictures but no doubt a market exists. Hope this isn't going to make some photographers even lazier than they appear to be right now!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software