RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Useful Actions

Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Patron

Re: Useful Actions

Chain, very generous of you to share the Actions and Tips Thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Thank you all for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
I didn't say it wasn't accurate at all. Just that it's not 100% accurate, while the blended gray layer is.
Yes, your test gives the same result as mine. There is a 1-bit deviation on some pixels with the B&W method, so it is as you say not 100% accurate (99,6%) but in my opinion so close that it doesn't matter.

Quote:
If the whole problem is that you can't change the blend mode of the gray color layer, why not just clip it to a brightness/contrast adj. layer and change it's blend mode instead?
I have no problem with using a gray color fill layer, or some other blended adjustment. I just prefer to be able to use the Luminosity B&W layer as a nice starting point for a B&W conversion. For me this extra use outweighed the 1-bit deviations. I guess I should include both, and rename the B&W method to make it clear.

Quote:
Btw. this technique here: http://zumbariretouching.blogspot.co...kin-fixer.html is pretty much overcomplicated. Instead of using Gaussian blur and Apply Image, he could just use the high pass filter and invert the image.
The Apply Image method of creating a band stop layer does give a noticeable different result than an inversed HP filter with GB on it. But both works ok for midtones.
However, for the sake of accuracy this huge thread on MM ("HP sucks") shows that the method involving Apply Image gives you more accurate frequency splits than High Pass (it's easy to test and see) - also it works with other filters than Gaussian Blur so you can make splits using filters like Surface Blur and Dust & Scratches (personally I find SB very useful as it doesn't "bleed" as much around edges). With an action the more complicated Apply Image step isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Don't forget, that Bart is using a scale factor of 1, which is exactly what the high pass filter is blamed for because blurred areas that have a difference of +128 from the original will lose contrast.
Using the scale factor of 2 is more accurate, that's correct. But he uses the scale of 1, so it's basically the same as a high pass (try it if you don't believe me).
Plus he uses Gaussian blur, not Surface blur, not Dust & Scratches or anything else. As high pass is based on Gaussian blur, I see no benefit in his method over using inverted high pass.
Yes, it could be modified so it works better, than the regular high pass filter, but from what he describes, it is just overcomplicated :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Patron

Many thanks for generously sharing your actions Chain
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Don't forget, that Bart is using a scale factor of 1, which is exactly what the high pass filter is blamed for because blurred areas that have a difference of +128 from the original will lose contrast.
Using the scale factor of 2 is more accurate, that's correct. But he uses the scale of 1, so it's basically the same as a high pass (try it if you don't believe me).
Ah, I didn't notice that he uses different settings than me - and I believe you, so I won't bother to try his setting. My actions use the settings from the "HP sucks" thread (scale factor of 2).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 AM

thanks man,do you have any actions that are helping clean backrounds?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Wink Re: Useful Actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Ah, I didn't notice that he uses different settings than me - and I believe you, so I won't bother to try his setting. My actions use the settings from the "HP sucks" thread (scale factor of 2).
It's good to see, we're on the same line here :-)!
Sorry for disturbing your thread so much with action-unrelated stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
It's good to see, we're on the same line here :-)!
Sorry for disturbing your thread so much with action-unrelated stuff!
I'd say it was very relevant to the thread (and the actions i posted).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 AM

Many thanks for generously sharing your actions Chain
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Btw. this technique here: http://zumbariretouching.blogspot.co...kin-fixer.html is pretty much overcomplicated. Instead of using Gaussian blur and Apply Image, he could just use the high pass filter and invert the image.
I had experimented with implementing this technique with the high pass filter before I wrote this tutorial and didn't like it for two reasons:

1. Using the Gaussian blur gives real time WYSIWYG feedback of how the undesired details appear as blur radius is adjusted--you just increase the radius until the undesired detail barely disappears. With the high pass filter you must adjust the radius until the undesired details are just beginning to reach max strength--this is visual much less intuitive IMO and much more difficult to explain in a written tutorial. Because of this, I'd usually guess wrong the first couple times and have to iterate to a desired result. There's no iterating with the Gaussian blur.

2. Depending on the detail I'm trying to remove, I don't necessarily use Gaussian blur. In cases of removing wrinkles in clothing, the motion blur is usually more useful. There is no high-pass analog for motion blur.

FWIW,
Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software