Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Custom DNG Profiles

Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Wink Custom DNG Profiles

If you don't know already, DNG profiles are basically the starting point of your photo when importing Raw photos through Camera Raw and Lightroom.

My default profile that I use most is "Camera Neutral" because it give me more dynamic range to work with.

The default profiles that come with these programs are different depending on what camera was used to shoot the Raw file.

DNG profile Editor is a tool you can download that allows you to make your own profiles.

I stumbled upon these DNG profiles that were developed by a 3rd party company and are being sold. Here's the link if you wanna check em out:

Now I always try to achieve a more filmic look with my photos. I like the softer and seamless change in tones that film has. I've always liked the way my Canon 5d mk II produces video footage. It has a more filmic feel to it that I have a hard time reproducing in my still images.

Now this is what leads me to my question. I know that my 5d is able to produce the image I desire in video mode but why can't it just render still photos with the same tone? I feel like this can be achieved if someone were to develop a more "filmy" DNG profile.

Would anybody know how to go about doing this, or if anyone has made a DNG profile that renders colors and tones more like film as its base? I'm only asking this and not doing it myself because I am terrible with the DNG profile Editor software and I was wondering if someone more experienced with it could get these results.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software