RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Painting Hair in Painter

Old 08-02-2002, 12:19 AM

Painting Hair in Painter

I don't think there are too many painters here but for those who want to know these sorts of things, there is a lot going on at Wet Canvas and IDD, In Depth Discussions. There is a lady named Jin who is a fount of Painter knowlege. This is the URL for a tut on getting 2 colors on a brush to do hair. This works on 3 painter models ending with seven. This is how I do it.
http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...aint_hair.html

I forgot already how to lite up the URL, some brackets somewhere, I presume.

There are a lot of tuts and info on the IDD site. The Painter stuff is in a forum called Painter Can.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2002, 08:34 AM

Here is a good one for Photoshop or similar, on both hair and clothing:

http://www.earthcurves.com/tutorials...tute_intro.htm

http://www.earthcurves.com/tutorials/shirt_tute_0.htm

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2002, 11:30 AM

Fugitive - makes me wish I had Painter!

In the hair tutorial that Stephen posted, the author switches to Painter for part of the hair.

Does anyone know if this can be done in PhotoShop?? I'd be very interested in finding out

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2002, 11:52 AM

Thumbs down

Oh totally cool. I just took an online training course at VTC to learn how to work with Painter 7 and all it's features. This will be a nice addition to my tutorial collection. Great find Greg.

Also, if you go to the VTC link and click on any title the first 3 chapters are always free to view. Great value there.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2002, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by winwintoo

In the hair tutorial that Stephen posted, the author switches to Painter for part of the hair.

Does anyone know if this can be done in PhotoShop?? I'd be very interested in finding out

Margaret
No, PS cannot do the 2 color thing. I have been researcing ways to do hair for 3 years, and Painter is the best. One might be able to get somewhere with Deep Paint too. PS 7 does have nice new brushes though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2002, 08:29 PM

I beg to differ. I am going out on rather a large limb here and dont wish to be argumentitive, but with the new natural media engine that has Photoshop 7 has, I was pretty certain that it can also handle this kinda thing. It has a dual brush engine and all of the layer effevts to fall back on - It does not stand upto Painter in its emulation of Natural Media but, it can paint hair strands of 1000 colours if you desire. Prove it? If only it where in my capability
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2002, 12:21 PM

I have poste the Qs on 2 PS news groups, both of which had multiple relies saying no. and I have tried in PS7 to no avail. I saw the multi brush, and thought it fairly useless, except for painting fairys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by winwintoo

Margaret

I looked at that hair tut, and it looks good, if one used this method, he wouldn't need Painter.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 06:02 PM

hehe Greg, I cant refute a bucket load of people experienced in the 'Art' especially without concrete proof. The paint engine though can be enhanced through the use of various blend modes and styles.Whilst no brush existed in Photoshop (to best of my knowledge) to create an 'impasto' effect, you only have too look at my entry for Sunflowers Challenge to know that similiar techniques can be emulated through clever use of the available tools.

(I can only apologise at what must seem an awfully arrogant response, I certainly dont claim to know hidden or unknown knowledge. My technique is all through working with PS7 et al and dont wish to infer some knowledge that I dont have)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 10:07 PM

Painter 7.0

DJ says <<Oh totally cool. I just took an online training course at VTC to learn how to work with Painter 7 and all its features.>>

I have the old Painter 4.0, the original one that came in that nifty paint can. It was then made by Fractal Design, then Corel bought it, and now I see that Procreate owns it. I didn't much care for the 4.0 version because it was klutzy and hard to use...too many menus with no easy way to get to and use them all, but now I see, thanks to the web site tutorials DJ suggested, that they have improved it to make it more user friendly, along with adding more capability.

I always liked the variety of things it did, but didn't like how it did it. Now, I see I can do even more cool things with less work, so I have ordered an upgrade to Painter 7.0 and should have it in a few days. It's been years since I've used Painter, and now I can't wait to learn it all over again! Thanks for the tip on the site, DJ!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software