Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

How to crop an avi video in Adobe Prem. Cs3

Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
How to crop an avi video in Adobe Prem. Cs3

I would like to know how to crop and render a video in Adobe Premiere Pro Cs3. I tried several times to crop a video but when the video is rendered, it still look the same way with the black borders around the video. In the video quality, I cannot find avi.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Re: How to crop an avi video in Adobe Prem. Cs3

I used to work with Final Cut Pro and there is something similar to crop tool in Photoshop. You need to click on the preview window and then you will see the adjustable crop frame. But I am not sure about Premiere ...

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 AM

If you have made a 16:9 video and export as 4:3 (or the other way around) it might just add black bars to make the proportions match.

1. Make sure your project is the correct dimensions (_exactly_).
2. Make sure your video is placed in the timeline and scaled/cropped the way you want it (look in the monitor/preview window that there are no black bars).
3. When exporting, make sure you choose a size and format that matches your project.

"AVI" is not a "video quality". It is a container. It can contain video/sound in many different formats ("codecs"). Depending on your use, it might not be the best choice.
The most important thing is the choice of "codec". You might want to use a H264-codec in a .mp4-container or something...

The world of video is stupidly complicated. If they did images the same way all image would have the file ending .img ("container") and inside it could be anything from jpeg or gif to a photoshop document ("codec"), and every combination of program and format would display the colours differently just to annoy you, and all digital cameras would have their own slightly different version of jpeg that noone else could understand... Ok, I digress...

I have Premiere CS5 and it has improved a lot since CS3 (especially when it comes to what export formats/options it supports). Thus I cannot guide you through those steps as they have changed everything (I would highly recommend upgrading, but note that a 64-bit OS is required for CS5).
You could export in a lossless format (or almost lossless), and use another simpler program to recompress it to the format you need if Premiere won't give you the right options (if you use OS X have a look at "Handbrake").
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 AM

I agree with Chain, you should check your import/export settings. The next question is what is inside the AVI container. I would experiment with different export settings as you don't have a "RAW" footage within AVI container but the footage which was already exported/compressed. You can't expect "a Mirracle."

It is like a photograph. It is better to work with the RAW file in the beggining and then choose your desired output format. Once, your footage is exported/compressed, you can't make a lot of loseless changes.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software