RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

flatten Tif and lose channels

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM

flatten Tif and lose channels

Another command question here. I have been complaints from clients that when i send them flatten full res tifs, they can not view it correctly. The problem is that flatten Tifs still hold modified channel layers and that messes up the preview.

is there a way to flatten a tif/psd whatever and lose all but the regular channels?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Patron

Re: flatten Tif and lose channels

Instead of using the Save command, use "Save As" and when the dialog window appears UNcheck the box labelled Alpha Channels.
Also remember when saving tiffs that the format for MAC and PCs are different and some image editing programs are not able to handle compressed tiffs. So be careful which options you choose.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM

perfect, thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM

I have to admit I have not come across this before. Are you suggesting, Murray, that one, as a matter of course, remove the Channels when sending a flattened Tiff? Also, I include my Paths in the tiffs, some clients, especially photographers like this.

thanks

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

its basically an option.. I have wondered this for while, but never really tried to look and obviously didnt notice the option when saving.

Some clients I would rather hide any work I did on the file, but I can see how some people may benefit with paths in place.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTG View Post
I have to admit I have not come across this before. Are you suggesting, Murray, that one, as a matter of course, remove the Channels when sending a flattened Tiff? Also, I include my Paths in the tiffs, some clients, especially photographers like this.

thanks

k
Its an option that is totally up to you. Often what happens when your file includes an alpha channel is that the alpha channel will show up as the thumbnail which may tend to confuse your recipient of the file.
Depending on what type of alpha channel you have included your recipient's image editing s/w may have some difficulty processing it (PS vs PSE vs Other)
File sizes will be larger if they include alpha channels.
Finally there is the issue of intellectual property. If you have worked for 30 hours on a D&B mask you might not want to give that to a customer. Masks are automatically saved as alpha channels in tiff files unless the option is disabled.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software