RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS6 New Features

Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Photoshop CS6 New Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
You had the possibility to change colours of your interface in previous versions too.
You mean with the F key viewing mode toggling? That didn't affect the tools and palettes like now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
You mean with the F key viewing mode toggling? That didn't affect the tools and palettes like now.
I found it accidentally in CS5 some time ago:

Preferences -> Interface

----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interface.jpg (94.8 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 AM

I saw Chris tarantino working with PS6 on yesterdays show, it looked pretty amazing I must say...then again I am not so experienced as you senior members but still...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
I saw Chris tarantino working with PS6 on yesterdays show, it looked pretty amazing I must say...then again I am not so experienced as you senior members but still...
Chris is one of the best retouchers he would show you magic even with ten years old version of Photoshop …

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I would say that Photoshop isn't a software for masses anymore (because of Lightroom) and Adobe should release this and keep Photoshop for professionals. And professionals want to see professional futures (I am not talking about content aware things - personally, I don't use them).

- Better brushes
- Better 32 bit mode
- Better shapes (vectors)
I agree with this completely. It annoys me that after effects has superior 32 bit tools to photoshop. They're used in cg quite a bit including in a lot of advertising. I'd like to be able to change path colors easily, so that I can keep track of different paths or make them stand out against a background. The brush tools haven't changed that much, but what would you like to see from them? Better tools for custom brush creation with previews would be nice, but I don't know how many people would use them. You can do an amazing amount even with basic brushes. I just don't understand why 32 bit mode hasn't been addressed when it's been fully utilized in other software packages for many years.

I don't pay a lot of attention to content aware fill or improved auto masking tools, because they don't really do much to advance the raw power of the program. They just take things you could do before and make them a little easier to understand and accomplish, yet precise work still requires comprehension. Without that, you can hit a wall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
The brush tools haven't changed that much, but what would you like to see from them? Better tools for custom brush creation with previews would be nice, but I don't know how many people would use them. You can do an amazing amount even with basic brushes.
This is exactly what I mean regarding better brushes:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4285659#4285659

I don't use them often but I like to work precisely.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
This is exactly what I mean regarding better brushes:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4285659#4285659

I don't use them often but I like to work precisely.
It's not as much an issue of accuracy as that suggests. It looks like a complaint with the size jitter response relative to the wacom driver for one thing. I noted that some of the curves are smoother, but you can get smoother painted curves than that in photoshop. This looks similar to some of the drawing exercises I suggest to people to overcome sloppy retouching work. Better control settings and better adjustment relative to wacom drivers seems to be the issue, although I'd really like to see that. Just realize that you can work precisely. You just need to know what settings work and test them. This is what everyone else does.

Anyway I'm still looking at them. The biggest issue seems to be the way it handles tilt and pressure settings from what I can tell. I can get smooth straight lines and curves in photoshop, but the way it tapers by pressure settings has always been bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM

The Brush engine and capability of some pretty amazing brush creation in CSPS6 has jumped dramatically. I would have to say now that it rivals Painter 12 for sure. The person who used to work on the brush engine for Painter has had a lot of input on the changes that went on. I think that you'll be surprised at what they can do now. I didn't go over the Brush engine a lot in my show last night, but if you can there is a show coming up soon that will go over all of the new Features in CS6. You scan also see some in depth videos out there from Lynda.com and other training houses. At the moment they are free to view but you can't ask questions regarding the changes.

As for 32 bit. What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Have you sent info to Adobe to give them your input? The majority of changes that happened with this version were all suggestions made via public forums.

Theres a lot I'd like to see with 32 bit also, but there really hasn't been that much of a demand to drive Adobe to fourth implement it in CS6, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot more coming down the pipeline.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post

As for 32 bit. What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Have you sent info to Adobe to give them your input? The majority of changes that happened with this version were all suggestions made via public forums.
It's nice for creating spherical hdrs or bringing in CG passes without gamma correction making some of the retouch work easier . It would also be nice if raw imagery could be imported in an hdr manner initially at times when it's losing detail off the edges given the nice masking tools in photoshop. This would be a lot easier than the typical method of making multiple passes if the lighting contrast blows out highlights, shadows, or both and they're expected to be within range. People do make requests like this, and they're always quite annoying. In video 32 bit it's used for linear compositing. Take a look at after effects. Having similar capability within PS would be amazing. I'll end up buying the upgrade however it turns out. I am surprised they haven't expanded 32 bit given how heavily embedded photoshop is in areas like VFX.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post

Theres a lot I'd like to see with 32 bit also, but there really hasn't been that much of a demand to drive Adobe to fourth implement it in CS6, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot more coming down the pipeline.

Chris
I would like to work in 32 bit mode in same way as in 16 bit without thinking if some function or filter is available or not.

I went across few topics on Adobe forums where people asked questions and basically the response was always almost same - "This is not our problem, you should contact Apple." After this experience I resigned … But perhaps now they changed their strategy and listen to people. I should try to spend more time on their forums now

Filip

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software