RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS6 New Features

Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Re: Photoshop CS6 New Features

wow, sorry guys, this is above my "capture"....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
wow, sorry guys, this is above my "capture"....
Don't worry

----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM

trying to keep up with you guys and understand what's the discussion here....so more is not necessarily better
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
And they should STOP changing the interface. We need to work - not to spend our time looking for the new position of some button or menu …

I like this version (cs6) but should't it be obvious that new version should work faster and better then the previous one?
That would be ideal but they cant leave the interface alone, doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
trying to keep up with you guys and understand what's the discussion here....so more is not necessarily better
I would say that in some areas (like highlights) more is better …

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
I would say that in some areas (like highlights) more is better …

I wasn't arguing about number of values from black to white. I was arguing that our tools to fix things like blown highlights are very poor, and that in areas that have started to embrace linear workflows with gamma corrections applied at the very end (and they have advantages when it comes to masking hair or matching reflectivity and stuff), photoshop has remained behind in that regard, as have raw processors for still imagery. All of us have ways of dealing with things the way they are today. It's just that many of them are less than ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Then why would anyone need more?

That statement contradicts your first above. And it continues to make the assumption that more bits equates to more tonal data which simply is not the case, at least in terms of ‘lost values’. What lost values? Lost where?
You're refusing to acknowledge something here. You've photographed many things. You've seen highly reflective areas that clip when an image is processed unless you use something like highlight recovery which applies to the whole image. The masking tools are rudimentary there. It wasn't the extra bits I cared about. If photoshop had a workflow for processing an extended range, you could deal with such issues in post. As it is, treating multiple passes like an HDR image could still lead to a smoother compositing method assuming full 32 bpc tools. If I demonstrated this, it would make perfect sense. I'm saying that the current workflow sucks, and this would enable different things.

Quote:
And depending on the HDR product you use, is possible today. IOW, you do not have to have 32 bit, floating point math to produce HDR. It depends on the software.
Of course you can. They added it to PS, yet you still can't remain within PS.

Raw data is linear encoded too. And yet there is no issue working in 16-bits. Again, why and where does the gamma encoding call for 32-bit? Adobe raw converters (and just about every raw converter I’ve ever seen) works with linear data in 16-bits. [/QUOTE]

Again.... those kinds of workflows dump a pretty wide dynamic range, and they use 32 bit because of its floating point capability. Making gamma correction in raw is annoying anyway. It offers better flexibility if such corrections are not made there, yet you can't do that with still photography.

Quote:
Because I submit it isn’t necessary.
I've already mentioned they do it in after effects, so it's apparently not pointless with video. Perhaps you think it's pointless with still imagery or frame by frame work brought into photoshop. I disagree.

You could set up a functional linear workflow in photoshop, and camera raw could process to 32 bpc AND leave in the data that is otherwise chopped off at the edges in raw processing. It's not a matter of bits there from 0-255. It's a matter of addressable range. Of course the raw data doesn't completely fill that. It's just that it can exceed the dynamic range of the typical container used when you process out a raw image. You wouldn't have to deal with things like sharpening or much adjustment until later and you would have a far less destructive workflow. I've noted how much you're a fan of doing things in raw, but too much adjustment in raw tends to create problems later. Way too many people pump up contrast and things in raw, then wonder why certain areas are blocked up later, and making a lot of passes tends to lead to a clunky workflow. If none of these things were issues, some of the masking tools wouldn't have appeared in raw processing software, but even those suck. Anyway, we aren't going to agree on any of this, so I'm going to accept that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You're refusing to acknowledge something here. You've photographed many things. You've seen highly reflective areas that clip when an image is processed unless you use something like highlight recovery which applies to the whole image.
Highlights are either clipped or they are not. If you expose to the point you clip highlights in the raw linear data, nothing brings them back. This again goes back to the dynamic range of the image. It is Photography 101. If the scene range exceeds the capture range, you either expose for more shadow detail and clip highlights you expose for the highlight data you want and block up shadows. No amount of bits or gamma encoding will alter this fact. Masking doesn’t produce data that doesn’t exist. Extra bits do not produce data that doesn’t exist. It is very simple.

You can view an initial rendering in a raw converter that shows what appears to be clipped highlights and make that all disappear by altering sliders like Highlight recover. That data didn’t magically get constructed, it was always there thanks to the proper exposure to capture said highlight data. You altered the rendering, nothing more.

Quote:
It's just that it can exceed the dynamic range of the typical container used when you process out a raw image.
Until you recognize that a catpure device has a fixed magnitude of dynamic range it can capture and that the processing is solely independent of this captured data, there is little point in me trying to explain things further. Extra bits or gamma settings will not change any of this.

Last edited by andrewrodney; 03-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM

The only thing that annoys me about CS6 (I love it for most things, interface, blur options, video editing (CRAZY), new adjustments panel, etc.) is that they've changed the pen tool. It feels a LOT more sticky now, and it seems to snap to certain places, with "Snap To" turned off. REALLY annoying. If that could be fixed, I'd be a happy man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 AM

I'm sitting this update out for now. Have deleted the Beta from my computer. It was too slow and there weren't any new bells & whistles that got me excited.

I find myself more and more using Acorn to open files that PS just can't read...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Does anybody know Photoshop CS6 release date?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software