RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

which is the best lens blur plugin similar to cs6?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Question which is the best lens blur plugin similar to cs6?

Hi

i did a search and i found many programs

for example focalpoint 2 , alien skin bokeh 2 and other

did you test them ?

which is the best to isolate to subject and blur the background ?

thanks in advance
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Re: which is the best lens blur plugin similar to

The cheapest is Lens Blur, thats been in Photoshop for years. You can use depth masks to have gradual blur. Its rather slow though and the bokeh highlights are hard to control.Otherwise it works much like the other filters.

I use Focal Point as it has most options inside the filter, you can paint and add to the mask, and have good control over blurred areas with contrast and other stuff. The negative is the bokeh circles that are not contrasty enough, alomost pastell like. In that sense Alien Skin Bokeh is better. Then ther is Topaz lens Effects taht is priced nicely, but has a strange interface in my opinion, and the masking is odd.

No filter masks automatically, although Topaz tries to get some groundwork done automatically. So you need some masking skills on whatever filter you choose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
The cheapest is Lens Blur, thats been in Photoshop for years. You can use depth masks to have gradual blur. Its rather slow though and the bokeh highlights are hard to control.Otherwise it works much like the other filters.

I use Focal Point as it has most options inside the filter, you can paint and add to the mask, and have good control over blurred areas with contrast and other stuff. The negative is the bokeh circles that are not contrasty enough, alomost pastell like. In that sense Alien Skin Bokeh is better. Then ther is Topaz lens Effects taht is priced nicely, but has a strange interface in my opinion, and the masking is odd.

No filter masks automatically, although Topaz tries to get some groundwork done automatically. So you need some masking skills on whatever filter you choose.
thanks
in short the new cs6 blur lens is unique , there is not plugin that can compete

cheers<
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 AM

Have Adobe done any changes to Lens Blur in CS6? I've never been really happy with it...

Has anyone tried Lenscare from http://www.frischluft.com/ ? I've not tried all these 3rd party plugins so I don't know how it stacks up.
I remember trying it years ago and I found it amazing. Very quick, can use custom images for the aperture shape, an interesting "distortion for semi-transparent areas" feature and also works in AE (for video).

Ps: The "Flair" plugin also have a couple of nice blur-filters (I like the "aberrative" options, does anyone else have that?).

Last edited by Chain; 03-24-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 AM

The CS6 new blur plugin does not understand depth mask selections the normal way, in my mind the most important thing. It also lacks control of the mask. I do like the bokeh tools though. It can make good blown out things.
Here is a image showing the result of using the same depth mask on the same image i CS6 and in Focal Point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs6_depth_map.jpg (95.4 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
The CS6 new blur plugin does not understand depth mask selections the normal way, in my mind the most important thing. It also lacks control of the mask. I do like the bokeh tools though. It can make good blown out things.
Here is a image showing the result of using the same depth mask on the same image i CS6 and in Focal Point.
i like focal point a lot of more
sadly it doesn't have the mask ability , i mean for example i want to mask a tree with many limbs , and blur the background

there is not a plugin that can mask the tree and limbs , keep it not blurred , and blur the background

thanks
cheers

ps about many plugins, i don't like their installation, they are invasive , the use the usual napoleon copy protection (i'm not again the copy protetion but i don't like whose can harm an operation system = and spread files in the photoshop folder
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I agree 100%.
I use bokeh but you definetly need to setup your mask. There is no program that I am aware of that does the masking and the blurring together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDClosser View Post
I agree 100%.
I use bokeh but you definetly need to setup your mask. There is no program that I am aware of that does the masking and the blurring together.
the new cs6 blur filter should do it

thanks
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Topaz Lens Effects has masking ability, and is discounted.

See examples of other plug-in options here under "Focus adjustment".
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 PM

http://www.dofpro.com/overview.htm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software