RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Capture one pro is the only way to go!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Capture one pro is the only way to go!

So I have not taken this into ps yet and that is why I am so happy with this portrait. Everything was done in C1 pro...this has been a serious eye opener. Before I just made sessions and what not for organization. But after spending some serious time in it I know now that I will never ever ever use camera raw again! seriously retouchers I beg you to download c1 pro trial just to checkout. If it is too much at first literally hit the a "auto button" top right and you will start to see what is what. Obviously I do not suggest using that all the time but it can seriously help you to see what is possible in raw conversion...mind you it is all non-destructive! Sorry I do not want to sound like a fan boy but...shit. I have been doing digital capture for a long time and just now realized how much this damn converter can do.
I am in no way affiliated with phase one...and if there is a rep viewing.
Give me a camera already...its only 20k and up.
no but seriously its food for thought.

This image I am posting is obviously a not sought after and individual look "looks scary as hell to me".
but you can set your style however you want. Just trying to showcase that every photo out of camera can have a unique look like this after you set a style up. Cuts time by around 80% I would guestimate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp.jpg (85.9 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM

Re: Capture one pro is the only way to go!

I'm encouraged by your comments JD; I've have been looking to buy C1. As a retoucher I would not get the benefit from the Pro version but the Express might be worth a punt. 60 day free trial at the moment too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
I'm encouraged by your comments JD; I've have been looking to buy C1. As a retoucher I would not get the benefit from the Pro version but the Express might be worth a punt. 60 day free trial at the moment too!
It's a nice program. Their film curve standard or whatever it's called at the moment is pretty close to a gamma 2.2 adjustment relative to linear response (linear isn't a recommended setting). I need to look at CS6 to see if photoshop implemented better 32 bpc tools. If they have, I may work on a linear hdr script. It would be cool if it worked properly. Output camera native gamut linear. Set proof colors to your normal working space with an exposure layer adjusting gamma to 2.2. The control in terms of extremely subtle adjustments would be pretty incredible, and it would be really nice for masking transparent objects, as the calculations for dematting and creating clean alpha channels would be 100% better (sample background, sample semi transparent area, subtract color, mask alpha by that percentage).

This made me think of your broadcast story about putting a gigantic cursor on the screen to insinuate that the machine had crashed.

Anyway..... if the tools are there in CS6, I will work on that script .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Patron

I have used Capture One Pro for the past four years. While it has had it's ups and downs over the versions, the current version 6.x has been very solid. I have had more image control with CP1 than I ever had with any of the others I have tried. The only real downside is the price tag of $399. They do have specials of $250ish periodically over the year if you keep an eye on it.

However, as a side note, if anyone is looking for a RAW processor, you should check out Corel Aftershot Pro. It only came out a short time ago, but I have found it to be a very solid performer. I really like the fact that the Image Catalog Browser is built right in, and it's very fast. If you have any interest, I have a video Corel Aftershot Pro Review available for you to watch.

Personally, I can't wait until I finally get a chance to checkout the new Lightroom 4 and CS6 Camera RAW interface. I read that they are the same base engine now, so that will drastically help Camera RAW. I was trying to teach it to someone yesterday, and I just became so frustrated at the limited controls.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 AM

I use it loads, it's a great program, but it's buggy as hell.

I can't open files over a network, which is very annoying as all shoots are saved on a central computer, so it gets backed up. I can open files, but it crashes after about 2 secs.

For looks and things though it's really good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I use it loads, it's a great program, but it's buggy as hell.

I can't open files over a network, which is very annoying as all shoots are saved on a central computer, so it gets backed up. I can open files, but it crashes after about 2 secs.

For looks and things though it's really good.
I hear about it crashing all the time but have never had any issues....must be lucky
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software