RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PostworkShop 3 available.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 AM

Re: PostworkShop 3 available.

Yes, if PWS only had the random painter OR the freehand painter it would still be pretty powerful but it's got that and more. There's almost too much choice...

I guess the way to learn it is to pick a tiny corner and to just investigate that thoroughly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Not sure where that may be Nancy but I believe objects are analogous to node editing.
Well I won't profess to understand it completely but I thought it went like this:

A 'Project' is a Postworkshop file

within a Project you may have multiple objects

each object may have multiple layers

a layer may have a filter** applied to it

**complex filters are made up of multiple nodes

--

Where I'm being tripped up is where I think I'm working on a new layer and instead I've edited an already manipulated layer

or I'm on a layer and don't know how to tell Postworkshop that I want that layer to be a copy of the image(object) I've loaded.

Or I've made something from scratch in the freehand module and want that to be a layer in the composting module
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Patron

I'm constantly going between layer view and node view Nancy to make sure I got things right. Not a brush person (am a filter guy) as you know so haven't explored how that works. I don't even work like most will; I copy paste between it and GIMP and do additional manipulation in GIMP (GIMP's my crutch) even though I do know PwS can do it all; just lazy to learn too much. lol

PwS is really exciting as an editor though. In some respects, it's lightyears ahead of even PS (node editing). I'm like a jack of all trades kind of guy (master of none). I know enough about PS, GIMP, PwS, DAP, Neat Image, and about a dozen other routines to make myself dangerous. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Node editing also shows up in Filter Forge and Terragen, among others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Patron

Yup; it also does in a few texture creating packages that I've run across plugs. Why both PS and GIMP won't branch out to nodes is beyond me. GEGL does have node capability but GIMP still hasn't implement GEGL completely even with the recent 2.8 release. I still say nodes will ultimately replace layers but this paradigm shift will require more time then I wish it would.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Patron

Perhaps, but I think layers will always be needed for manual editing (erasing through, compositing, etc.).

Plus we're both up too late, you worse than me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 AM

I see what you're saying Lyle, nodes are much more logical than groups of layers, layer styles and clipped layer (there's a Classic view? Yay )

I never really got the hang of nodes in Filter Forge but grasped them immediately in PWS

but I will say that PS still blows everybody else out the water in layer masking

with PWS I first started with C&P-ing everything into Photoshop but then I discovered that PWS will let you save a project as a PSD file layer for layer
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Patron

I only toyed with the mask object in PwS but it appears to be pretty powerful. Now, with the improved paint interface (which basically is just a layer node) you can pipe that into the masking block to do your masking. Still, things like specialty filters that automate masking is more then essential. I wish PwS could accept PS filters; that definitely then would be a game changer. Not sure how PwS handles PSD files with adjustment layers, but I bet it doesn't; believe it can only handle flattened layers (same for GIMP when you open a PSD file). Don't work is PS so I don't really have a PSD file with adjustment layers to try (nor want to figure out adjustment layers and such since GIMP handles this situation differently (i.e., no adjustment layers like PS).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Patron

The 20% off coupon code is working and ready to go!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software