RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Creating action for frequency separation

Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Creating action for frequency separation

I just created an action for frequency separation (according to Ar of D&B DVD). It will do the separation and name the layers "low" and "high". The problem is that it works only on a background layer. So when I want to use this action sometime later in my workflow on another layer than the background the action doesnt work. Is there a solution for this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Re: Creating action for frequency separation

Hard to say... Sometimes written problem descriptions just aren't enough to provide accurate suggestions.

Suggest you .zip the .atn and upload to a subsequent post in this thread. That would allow folks to download your .atn and see what you're getting/how you are getting it. Much easier to advise going that route.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM

I uploaded it. My actions for retouching. Split frequency is one of them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Retouching.zip (1.7 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 PM

OK ... the .atn helps a lot. I see what you mean, now.

Suppose (a) you ran the action on a Background-only image and it modified layers as it is now recorded and (b) you wanted to run the action again.

Before running the action for a second time, what layer would be the 'active layer' (the one highlighted) in the layer stack?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Hi i have had some similar problems with various actions,so I did some experimenting today. It seems the main problem with your action is that you started by making two duplicates and then you went back and selected the first duplicate. If you made your action from only a Background layer this selected layer would be named Background Copy, and "Select Background Copy" is what will be recorded. Problem is if you start the action higher up in a layer stack. The Duplicate layers would be called eg " Layer 3 copy" or whatever the name of the selected layer. Then when you get to the third step in your action "select background Layer Copy" you will get an unwanted result.
To get around this there is one important thing worth noting: You can do adjustments to the currently active layer as such. This way "set current layer" will be recorded and not the name of the layer.
This means you can duplicate layer,and then blur the layer, and when you play the action it will work whatever the name of the base layer is.
In this particular action we are dependent on selecting some layers though. This creates som problems but what i did was the following:
1. Before recording I set up my layers with a couple over the background layer. This for the merge visible step to be recorded
2. Then I start my action with merge visible (ctrl+Shift+alt+E).
This I did for my action to work at any time.
3. Now my merged layer is the currently active layer. I Renamed it to "Base Layer" (I should probably have chosen an even stranger name to be sure there never will be an equally named layer)
4. Now when you duplicate the duplicates will be named "Base Layer Copy" and "Base Layer Copy 2". For The action to work 2 or 3 times in the same layer stack (same Image) it was important not to rename the layers to LOW and HIGH yet. This name change could only be done at the end.
5.Now you can basicly set up the rest as you would with selecting layers, as the names will not be confused with other layers.

I actually made it more difficult for myself after step 4 and blurred the first duplicate as current layer before making the second duplicate (I guess I forgot for a little while that I now could do selecting of layers without confusion). This caused some confusion with moving layers up and down later on. Recording layermoves up and down is not very reliable. When running the action the moved layers ended up all strange places. But it seemed to work well when using the shortcuts for moving layers up and down ctrl+] or ctrl+[ on american keybords. On my european keybord I had to set a new shortcut first. (I tried resetting the custom shortcut afterwords to be sure that it was not my custom shortcut that was recorded but the actual move down. Luckily it was the move down that was recorded and my action should then work for everyone)

Notes for running my action:
1. If you start the action from only a Background layer you will get a message saying that merge visible can not be done. Thats fine, just hit enter for "OK".
This is because the action starts with merge visible to make it possible to use it at any step in your workflow.

2.If you started the action from Background layer only, your Background layer will be unlocked.
If you run the action later on you will end up with a merged base layer in your Split Frequency group. You can delete this if you want smaller file size.

I am neither a teacher nor a writer, but I hope this clarified your broblem and did not make you more confused

Last edited by grossmisconduct; 05-19-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Seems my .Zip did not get uploaded so Ill try again here
Attached Files
File Type: zip Split Frequency At All Times.zip (1.1 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks for help, grossmisconduct!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

I write my own actions as well and guess what? ... I had the exact same problem ... meaning the 'specific name' given to Layers...

Well I solved that with the big help of a tutorial found in the Internet ... unfortunately I can't remember the author of the Tutorial or where I found it so, I'm quoting the instructions given there..

I just remembered and found the Tutorial ....

and the tips below are from Julieanne Kost's blog found here
Quote:
Note: these shortcuts are essential when recording actions as they help to select layers, but do not record the specific “name” of the layer in the action.

• Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + "[" targets the layer below the currently targeted layer.

• Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + "]" targets the layer above the currently targeted layer.

• Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) +Shift + “] “or + “[“ adds the next layer up or down to the targeted layer(s)

(note when you get to the top or bottom of the layer stack, Photoshop will “wrap around” to continue adding/subtracting layers).

• Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + “,“ or “.” targets the bottom/top -most layer.

• Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + Shift + “,“ or “.” targets all layers that fall between the currently targeted layer to the top or bottom of the layer stack.
Among many others (some very useful for action writing) , all these shortcuts are also listed here

Here is my Frequency Separation Action (for both 8 and 16 bits images) containing no 'specifically named' Layers.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: zip F_Frequency-Separation.zip (919 Bytes, 96 views)

Last edited by Flora; 05-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossmisconduct View Post
.... Recording layermoves up and down is not very reliable. When running the action the moved layers ended up all strange places. But it seemed to work well when using the shortcuts for moving layers up and down ctrl+] or ctrl+[ on american keybords. On my european keybord I had to set a new shortcut first. (I tried resetting the custom shortcut afterwords to be sure that it was not my custom shortcut that was recorded but the actual move down. Luckily it was the move down that was recorded and my action should then work for everyone)....
Sorry grossmisconduct!

I hadn't read your post properly, so, in my post I only repeated what you had already said...

I also work with 'different' keyboards (Italian, German) , therefore I've also incurred in the problem of 'non/wrongly responding' keyboard shortcuts.
Even though my action doesn't 'move' the layers, I'll test it again to see if they are 'properly placed'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossmisconduct View Post
.....I am neither a teacher nor a writer, but I hope this clarified your problem and did not make you more confused
Well, your explanation is great ! Thank you so much for it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM

@FLora: Hi! Your post wasnt repetition at all. Those shortcuts come in very handy. Thank you. I kind of found a workaround by renaming my duplicate as soon as I had created it and it was still the active layer. With your shortcuts I would never have to rename my layers, and probably never would have to move any layers up and down either. Now with these shortcuts I have a way to select any layer at any time, and I will surely use this in my future actions.

I should have thought about it though, when I was looking for a shortcut to moving layers up and down..

Thank you for showing us those shortcuts. Its been very helpful
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software