Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

CPU for Photoshop CS6 for new build

Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
CPU for Photoshop CS6 for new build

Hey guys I've been a Photoshop user for close to 15 years. I have ver. CS2 and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core CPU 4200+ 2.21GHz CPU /1GB RAM (6 years old along with the version CS2 running WinXP SP3) I plan on upgrading this year my hardware, OS (to WIn 7 64-bit) and the Adobe Production Premium suite to CS6 (After upgrading to CS5.5 since I am ineligible for the upgrade from CS2. )

One of the things that has always bothered me in Photoshop CS2 was when I set a paintbrush or a blur brush to 300 pixels wide and I'm working even on a small 4x6" 300dpi canvas If I make a brushstroke it takes seconds to make a rendered stroke. I plan on doing digital paintings with a Wacom tablet 8x10, 11x14, 16x20" in size with Photoshop CS6.

Granted we are talking about a 6 year old mid-level CPU and now new technology but I would like to know along with using 8 GB RAM

Will this 300 pixel-wide brush lag totally change with a Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core?

Is there a significant difference when using Photoshop with a Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz Quad-Core since both chips are multicore which Photoshop does use?

I'm trying to choose my new build and figure out what CPU to get since they are $110. difference. Is is night and day with most of the CPU intensive stuff on Photoshop?

I don't really do After Effects work but planned on getting a mid-level Nvidia graphics card (for the CUDA cores). I have heard that VRAM on the graphics card is impt. for lag on big brushes though. 1GB okay?
Would I be much better off getting a 60 or 128GB SSD boot C: drive rather than the faster CPU?

I use Adobe Audition and do some audio editing and multitrack music mixing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Re: CPU for Photoshop CS6 for new build

I think if your are just using Photoshop you just need at least dual core cpu and add more ram 4 gig is enough for photo retouching.
About the music mixing/audio editing dual core is still enough you just need a more ram.make it 8gb ram for retouching and audio editing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Re: CPU for Photoshop CS6 for new build

PS is a CPU intensive application. If you ever plan to do any HDR work you will need all the CPU power you can get. Spend the extra bucks and get a quad core i7.
Min 8GB of ram preferably 16GB. RAM is inexpensive and PS is a memory hog. If you plan to run other apps same time as PS, the extra ram will come in handy.
Win7 64 bit needs larger system drive than 32 bit Win OS. 64GB is no longer adequate for a boot drive, and I won't go into the details now. If you are going to get an SSD I recommend 128GB min. However, there are some issues with SSDs and they are still not the most reliable. You might consider staying with a conventional SATA hard drive but get a fast one like 7200RPM or higher.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software